Author Topic: Writing Excuses Episode 7: Villains  (Read 2121 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Writing Excuses Episode 7: Villains
« on: March 25, 2008, 07:18:34 PM »
http://www.writingexcuses.com/

Are flaws necessary for villains? What traits make for a really good (err… evil?) villain? What’s the difference between Sauron and Gollum? (”That’s the LAST time I send you out shopping for Gollums, son…”)

Liner Notes: The Evil Overlord List, a handy reference for tropes to avoid (or, as the case may be, exploit…)
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

White

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
Re: Writing Excuses Episode 7: Villains
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 05:20:37 PM »
Great podcast as always, however, I have to ask the opinion about books where circumstances create the main source of conflict (more so than villains)?

There are a lot of books where the circumstances are the challenges the protagonist faces, and there are an even greater number of books where the circumstances the protagonist has been pitted against exist alongside of the struggle against the so called "bad guy".

Like, for instance, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rofthuss, I.M.O., the main source of conflict the protagonist (Kvothe)  faces in the book, and thus the main thing he has to struggle with to overcome - is actually the circumstances he is faced with being in rather than anything else. Of course, the Chandra, I think they’re called,  who were responsible at the beginning for causing his circumstances are an underlying theme in the book, however they are not really the greatest element he is in conflict with (at least, in this third of the tale).

It would be very interesting to here the Writing Excuses crew’s opinions about circumstances as a form of conflict.
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.