Author Topic: The Origins of Allomancy *Spoilers*  (Read 8976 times)

Vambram

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Multiply page
Re: The Origins of Allomancy *Spoilers*
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2008, 12:28:58 AM »
Alright, Ookla.
Thank you. :)
Death is as Light as a Feather;
but Duty is as Heavy as a Mountain

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2008, 12:29:31 AM »
Pretty sure  a metal is available for any allomancer as soon as they swallow, but I don't have specific references. How long it takes things to move down the esophagus is not necessarily widespread knowledge in this culture, so they may speak of things being in their stomach as soon as they're swallowed.

Yeah.  I can't think of any specific examples, but I'm pretty sure there are multiple fights where Kell runs out of some metal midway through and downs another vial and then uses that metal right away.

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2008, 12:31:40 AM »
As soon as Elend takes the metal vial from Vin he starts to burn pewter.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2008, 04:47:33 PM »
The same thing occurs with Vin after Sazed rescues her from Kredik Shaw (the first time).  She isn't even conscious but can still burn the metal instinctively, like breathing.  Oh, and Phaz, Vin feels the well's pulsing even when she is not burning bronze.  However, the earring she wears is bronze.  Did you notice that the only time she could draw on the mists was when it was ripped out of her ear?  There are other threads about that theory, however.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2008, 02:17:48 AM »
OK, this is a vision I have of how allomancy started, it's pretty random, but it just sort of came to me, and I've bee nthinking about it for a while.

It is widly assumed (except of course by darxbane) that feruchemy was around before both allomancy and hemalurgy, which would make feruchemy a sort of old magic.  What if the ancient Terris scholars learned to store things in metals from ruin and preservation themselves.  What if those beads of metal that give Elend the powers of a mistborn, and gave the first allomancer their powers are feryuchmical like storages of the power of Ruin and/or Preservation?  there's some holes in the theory of course, how other people can access the power of ruin and preservation, but perhaps their power works differently, that would mean all the magics, in some way stem from these two beings, making them the source of all the supernatural things in the book?

Ok, I'm ready, let's hear your thoughts ;D
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2008, 06:14:56 AM »
OK, this is a vision I have of how allomancy started, it's pretty random, but it just sort of came to me, and I've bee nthinking about it for a while.

It is widly assumed (except of course by darxbane) that feruchemy was around before both allomancy and hemalurgy, which would make feruchemy a sort of old magic.  What if the ancient Terris scholars learned to store things in metals from ruin and preservation themselves.  What if those beads of metal that give Elend the powers of a mistborn, and gave the first allomancer their powers are feryuchmical like storages of the power of Ruin and/or Preservation?  there's some holes in the theory of course, how other people can access the power of ruin and preservation, but perhaps their power works differently, that would mean all the magics, in some way stem from these two beings, making them the source of all the supernatural things in the book?

Ok, I'm ready, let's hear your thoughts ;D

That is not a bad theory, to be honest. Of course, it still runs into the Partum-paradox, that you can't actually "burn" the metal if you don't have the ability to burn it in the first place. Replacing it with a Feruchemy reference doesn't help, because Elend is no Feruchemist. He wouldn't have the ability to tap the metalmind in the first place.

Plus, to store something Feruchemically, you need to have it in the first place. You can't store speed unless you have speed. You couldn't store Allomancy if you didn't already have it.

I think I like my mist-pulling theory better.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2008, 06:18:48 AM »
I said there were holes, and obviously Ruin's and Preservations powers do work differently than other peoples, , perhaps in digestive juices, the storage of power breaks down, releasing the power into the body of the individual, and unlocks the abilities within, also if my theory was right, it would mean that anyone can access storages made byt Ruin and Preservation.  And Feruchemy wouldn't necessarily be the same power as they had, the spirits, or whatever they are, have power far beyond the conventional magic systems, but myabe it was inspired by Ruin and Preservation: who are key players in the lost religion of the Terris people. ;)
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier