Author Topic: feruchemy and vin...thoughts *spoilers*  (Read 1883 times)

cloversprite

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Boundless
feruchemy and vin...thoughts *spoilers*
« on: March 15, 2008, 02:41:16 AM »
I am re-reading MB1 right now, and came across the section where Vin tries to burn one of Sazed's metalminds.  It made me wonder if perhaps she has some hidden ability with feruchemy as well as her obvious allomantic and possible hemalurgic talent. 

Maybe this has already been figured out or "solved", but here is what I was wondering:

If she was able to sense the stored power within the metalmind just as one feruchemist could with someone else's metalmind, might she have the power to use feruchemy herself?  Is this linked somehow to her earring?  (what a twist b/t the three types of power, eh?!) 

I've been too busy lately with classes to look through both books and find other possible references to this, but I keep thinking that it might fit in somewhere else as well although I can't think of where. 

Do any of you who know all the in's and out's of the books and annotations have some thoughts on this?  Am i totally off track, and if I am, could you explain it? :P
I could not love thee, dear, so much
loved I not honor more.

Kelsier

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Lord of the Mists
    • View Profile
    • The Christian Halo Union
Re: feruchemy and vin...thoughts *spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 03:16:13 AM »
At first, I thought Vin's unexplained power came from her earring—that the truth behind her power was simply a mingling of Feruchemy and Alomancy. It seemed likely. If the Lord Ruler was able to increase the power of his Steel-Pushing by this uncanny mingle of genetic magics—making him capable of touching metals inside the body—I assumed that Vin Pulling the Lord Ruler's bracelets out of his arms was done not from the mists, as she had thought, but from the unknown power stored within her earring.

But, after rereading Mistborn: TFE, I realized this wasn't the case. When Vin attacked the Lord Ruler, he had already Steel-Pushed her earring from its place. It was only then that she was able to draw on the mists.

But does this mean she doesn't have Feruchemical abilities? I don't think it does. It simply means that she has another power—a fourth power, perhaps—similar to that of the Inquisitors, except that she's also able to draw upon the mists. From what I can see, the Inquisitors can't do that.

So what does this mean? It's possible that Vin not only has three powers—as you suggested—but four. Perhaps the stud in her ear gives her the extra boost she needs to pierce copperclouds, like the Inquisitors. Perhaps not. It's possible that Vin's earring is a Feruchemical store, and that it is what allows her to pierce the clouds. Perhaps it's a little bit of both.

This is, of course, pure speculation. I haven't read any annotations, so I'm not up to date on all the possibilities. I do not, however, believe that Hemalurgy—what the Inquisitors use—is the same power Vin uses to draw from the mists. It just doesn't add up for me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 03:20:32 AM by Kelsier »

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 03:38:35 PM »
This has been discussed (sort of) in the Hemalurgy thread and the Ruin and Preservation thread. It never came up that Vin is a Feruchemist, but rather, based off of Hemalurgy itself. The problem Vin had was she had her earring on. As we know from the Inquisitors, they push away the mists (due to Hemalurgy, it seems). So, when she got rid of her earring, the Hemalurgic "pushing" away from the mists no longer opposed the mists, so Vin could burn it.

At least, that's how I understand it.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 12:49:19 AM »
I think that when Vin sensed the new source of power after swallowing Sazed's metalmind, that was an indication of what a feruchemical store feels like to an allomancer. She couldn't access it because it wasn't her own power stored up in the metalmind, but the Lord Ruler could access his own swallowed metalminds this way.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 02:21:24 AM »
It also gave her a clue that eventually helped her puzzle out the secret of the Lord Ruler
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier