Author Topic: Brandon: When did you first submit a manuscript?  (Read 1459 times)

ShawnMann

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Brandon: When did you first submit a manuscript?
« on: March 14, 2008, 12:17:33 AM »
Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I think it'd be informative to aspiring writers. I've read that you wrote many books before you were published, but how many did you submit, or try to get published, before Elantris? Any to slush piles? I imagine it's a rare occurance for a writer to sell their first manuscript, so is there any advantage to submitting that first book? Or even the next few?

Thanks for your time!

P.S. Just finished MB1, and really enjoyed it. I wonder about "hard-magic" systems, and whether they help fantasy books tell a better story. With a system that relies closely on our physics, perhaps you have to spend less time explaining what it can and cannot do than other systems. Just a thought.

Kelsier

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Lord of the Mists
    • View Profile
    • The Christian Halo Union
Re: Brandon: When did you first submit a manuscript?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:40:51 AM »
I've been wondering this as well. To be even more precise, I want to know when Brandon started writing. Was it in high-school? After? Earlier? I've searched the bios, but they don't seem to be much help in that area.

As for whether or not you should submit your first manuscript, I would say go for it. You never know what kind of feedback an editor could give you. Even if you get all rejections, there could be personal notes on these with suggestions for improvement. And you never know—if it's good enough, it just might published or make someone interested in one of your next projects.

imflyer20

Re: Brandon: When did you first submit a manuscript?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:18:23 PM »
Absolutely go for it. If you haven't already read the "Interested in Publication" entry, Brandon wrote a great response for the aspiring writer. We're in the same boat you and I. My first manuscript was finished back in 1999 and I've been seeking agents and publishers since. So far, no avail. Actually, with each new rejection, I learned there were problems in the story that needed fixing and I still have to make another revision of it. However, I finished 3 other projects along the way with no book deals as of yet, but that's not slowing me down. Though it is possible to have a first manuscript accepted and published, you ought not rely on a single work alone. Branch out. If you have more than one, try them all. I finally learned that a well rounded author is more attractive than one who sticks with the same genre and style, unless it's a series or something. What the editor has to say can be very helpful. So in short, throw in your fishing line. You might snag a whopper!