Author Topic: use of steelpulling  (Read 6046 times)

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: use of steelpulling
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 03:38:56 PM »
You could also do some killer Bruce Lee fyling side kicks, as long as you don't hit so hard you break your own legs, of course.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 01:55:08 AM »
OK, I've been thinking about this, and I" don't think the coin thing would work.  Here's why:

1)Just spinning around wouldn't change the trajectory of the coin, it goes straight towards you front or back, you'd have to be stepping around, essentially running in a circle, this would make you very tired. 
2) It's no like swinging womething at the end of a string.  It's moving towards you.  That coin is moving fast enough to pierce skin, to change the trajectory, you'd have to move faster than it is, otherwise it would just crash into you.
3)If you tried to pull it any slower, it probably wouldn't be able to defy gravity and would be dragged towards you on the ground.

Feel free to correct me on any of these points, this is just what I came up with.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 03:56:14 PM »
Comatose, pulling something towards you does not have to make it move towards you.

To make something spin around you, you would not have to move at all, if the object is initially moving tangentially to you, and you pull on it with a force of appropriate size, it will go round you in a circle. The only problem is that while doing so it would fall towards the ground due to gravity. you could however make an object go through your legs and over your head at high speed. You'd just have to reduce the force when it's over your head and increase the force when it's between your legs in order to counter gravity.

Your points sound like Aristotle based physics rather than Newtonian physics (hint, Aristotle was wrong, Newton was right).

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 08:07:17 PM »
pulling something towards you does not have to make it move towards you.

This could just be me being ignorant, but that sounds kind of contradictory.  I know who Aristotle and Newton were, but I admit physics isn't really my area of expertise, and I admit I could be wrong, just I don't quite get how pulling harder from the same direction would make the coin change trajectory, and besides, you can only pull with iron so hard by flaring, and to pull any harder you'd need Duralumin which would use up all the iron, and a Lurcher wouldn't be able to use duralumin anyway.  From my knowledge, it seems the only way to do this would be to use pushes and pulls, like Kelsier did at the end of MB1.  Sorry if I'm totally off base, as I said, it takes me a while to understand physics.  Would you mind making your explanation a little simpler some of the terminology makes it confusing, at least to me :-[.  Sorry.  I'm sure I could agree with you if I could understand your point.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 10:40:10 PM »
The simple example for circular motion is the moon, the only force of any significance on the moon is the earth's gravity, which is directly towards the earth, yet the moon moves around the earth in a circle.

If something is already moving and you pull on it in a direction other than the one it is moving in, you will bend it's path, rather than just making it move towards you.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 12:06:56 AM »
But the coin won't be moving to start out with
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Feynmanfan

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 01:33:47 AM »
yes it will, thats why the step to side is needed. you first draw the coin into your direction to make it move at whatever speed you want, then you make the step to the side and only then the "ciruclar/elliptic" movement begins.

pulling something towards you does not have to make it move towards you.

comatose, the essential point to understand the physics of the pulling is Newton good old" F=m*a"   ; Force=mass*acceleration.  The part about the mass is already well explained in the books so i think that should be clear.
SO whats acceleration? Its the "change of the velocity"  per time.
Now imagine the coin flying straight to a point 3 meters beside you at a speed and trajectory "V(old)". If you now start pulling, the Force--> acceleration will change the coin speed and/or trajectory, but only the change "c" is directed along the direction of the force(towards the lurcher), the resulting velocity is      "V(new)= V(old)+c" , which is not directed at the lurcher.

to Rhuan: gravitation isnt really a problem, it only means that the coins have to rotate a little bit below the heights to which its pulled, so that the Force isnt 100% horizontal. If youre good at it you could even use the gravitation to control the vertical component of v.

Im pretty sure by now that this way to use the pulling ist physically possible. If it would be possible (in terms of skill) for the MB/Lurchers is another question, though the longer i think about it the more i think it should be doable with some training.

One last thing, if you have the time to spin it around you for long enough to speed it up to the maximum, the lurcher shots should be much faster the ones from the coinshots.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 06:42:56 PM »
If you want the force that holds them in orbit around you to counter gravity, they'd have to go at a set speed depending on how far below the point they were being held in orbit. Because, a lurcher or mistborn can only control the magnitude of the force, not the magnitudes of it's vertical and horizontal components.

the horizontal component (Fcosø) would have to be m*v*v/r while the vertical component (Fsinø) would have to be m*g, where ø is the angle that the line of the force makes with the vertical.

This would therefore require v to be √(rg/tanø) where r is the radius of the circle and g is the local gravitational constant.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 06:53:27 PM by Rhuan »

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 09:09:36 PM »
It just seems like too much work doing something that a coinshot could just come along and kill you with. Interesting discussion but impractical usage in an imaginary world.

What we really need to discuss is why they don't have mass transit pump cars, or maybe I missed it. ;)
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 10:04:57 PM »
Having coins spinning around you could be useful as a sort of shield.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 11:51:53 PM »
OK, I think I understand now, but I don't think you could make a shield of coins.  First of all, doing this to one coin would take a huge amount of skill, and doing multiple coins at a time would take even more.   And even then, one little push or pull would disrupt the orbit wouldn't it?  All you need is a coinshot or lurcher to push or pull the coins away.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008, 01:02:20 AM »
OK, I think I understand now, but I don't think you could make a shield of coins.  First of all, doing this to one coin would take a huge amount of skill, and doing multiple coins at a time would take even more.   And even then, one little push or pull would disrupt the orbit wouldn't it?  All you need is a coinshot or lurcher to push or pull the coins away.
You're right. However, if there are enough things flying around, the enemy may not be able to focus on your shield, if not, well, it  would be useful against anyone other than a coinshot, lurcher or mistborn.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 01:50:42 AM »
true, so we have decided that lurchers can be useful for something other than pulling coins away from mistborn, and can fight anyone who can't push or pull metals.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 06:37:53 AM »
Didn't Kelsier and the Inquisitor that he killed do something similar??
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 03:53:50 PM »
A Lurcher assasin skilled in throwing knives would work well.  He wouldn't have to go to the body to retrieve the knife, and since most Allomancers are not constantly burning metal, he could kill almost anyone with a knife to the throat, Heart, or Aorta.  You pretty much die instantly with these injuries, so no time to heal yourself with Pewter.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.