Author Topic: WoT Read-Through by Brandon  (Read 9843 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 02:23:54 AM by Nessa »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: WoT Read-Through by Brandon
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 12:24:35 AM »
Nynaeve, huh?  My favorite character has always been Rand, and then probably Lan.  All the people in the first book change alot over the series.  Only Moiraine seems the same, but she has also been out of it for over half the series, so obviously she wouldn't have changed as much.  If she comes back in book 12, she might have changed.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Lightningfall

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 01:34:51 AM »
My favorite character has always been Mat, and I don't that changing.  He's the prankster, the troublemaker, and no matter what stupid stunt he comes up with, somehow he always survives.  I realize that most of the things I like most about him are the results of some of the stupid things he's done but, oddly enough, that just seems to endear him to me all the more.  Now, don't get me wrong, I like most of the other characters in the books but, Mat's my favorite.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 03:42:20 AM »
In the beginning, Perrin was my favorite. Then,Mat has really grown on me and his storyline has become my favorite. That is, until Egwene was captured by the White Tower baddies and made her novice all over again; that was really compelling and told me more about her personality than anything previous.

Nynaeve, well, I think I would probably relate to her better if I read it again, since I haven't read the first book in 15 years, and a lot has changed for me since then.

But I totally agree about it appealing to many difference ages and people.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 06:59:36 PM »
There's a thread about how your favorite WoT characters have changed here.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 08:05:18 AM »
I agree whole-heartedly with the 3rd person perspective of this series.  Each person is limited to what they know and feel, even if you as the reader know something else by view of another person.  It makes it a lot easier to empathise with each character, almost as well as 1st person, but still easy to switch between multiple characters.

The first three books are my favorite.  Dragon Reborn kinda lost me in parts, but it goes out with a good climax.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

laddr

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 11:22:11 PM »
I love the regular blog updates on progress through WoT. The more info/postings the better. (As you can tell I am anxious for AMoL, even more so after reading MB1 &2)

Hrmmm maybe I will get a copy of Elantris when brandon puts it online to pass some more time.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 06:50:17 PM »
So has anyone else read ALL of the WOT through like Brandon is doing?  I tried with each new one but quit at about volume 8 or 9.  I'll probably try when the last book is about to come out, but it almost feels like a chore to be done before I can go out and play. :-\

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 05:18:59 AM »
So has anyone else read ALL of the WOT through like Brandon is doing? I tried with each new one but quit at about volume 8 or 9. I'll probably try when the last book is about to come out, but it almost feels like a chore to be done before I can go out and play. :-\

Nope.  I'm waiting until Memory of Light becomes more of a reality.   Then I'll tackle them.

Can't wait to see what EUOL has to say about Lord of Chaos.  That is probably my favorite book out of the entire series so far.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

The Incredible Thorbear

• Level 2
  • I'm like the hammer of Thor, but actually a bear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 02:47:21 PM »
So has anyone else read ALL of the WOT through like Brandon is doing?  I tried with each new one but quit at about volume 8 or 9.  I'll probably try when the last book is about to come out, but it almost feels like a chore to be done before I can go out and play. :-\

I did it once in fall 2006, got much better insight into the books plot and characters.

And I'm doing it right now, but this time I'm listening to it instead, I am currently halfway through Crown of Swords. I still discover new things that I didn't see or understand before.

Not sure but I think I might give it all a listen again before MOL comes out. Or maybe I'll just re-read Knife of Dreams to freshen up my memory.
Look on my Works ye Mighty, and despair!

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 05:47:01 PM »
Listening to them sounds like a great way to do it.  I am a very fast reader and I find when I read aloud or listen to a book I often find tiny things, (puns and whatnot) that I missed in my first read through.  I usually compensate by reading things I enjoy many times, but I haven't done that with the later WOT books.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 06:14:33 PM »
I re-read them before KOD came out and I was amazed at how much the prophecies and visions gave away future parts of the book.  It was like watching the Sixth Sense a second time and seeing all the clues you missed.  The first 2 Mistborn books are fantastic, by the way.  I actually think a "Brandon Avalanche" would be perfect for A Memory of Light.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 06:47:32 PM »
I listened to most of the series and enjoyed the story that way. It's a good way to pass long car trips or marathon image editing sessions. It's annoying though when the reader screws something up...in Knife of Dreams, Tuon's most important line (where she's mimicking Mat) was read in Mat's voice. Arrgh!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!