Author Topic: review: The Name of the Wind  (Read 2167 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Re: review: The Name of the Wind
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 08:30:57 PM »
I just finished this book and I have to say, I'm excited to begin the sequels. I highly recommend this book. It has some fine writing. The main character is fascinating, and while it's clearly a set-up for what's to come, still interesting in its own right.

I particularly like the way the author handles the magic and learning it. Felt real.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 07:31:02 PM by Nessa »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 06:58:25 PM »
actually that looks very interesting. Normally i HATE, with a capital H (scratch that make the whole word capital) books or movies in which the main story is a dream, story, time-warp, or some other medium in which its not actually happening. However this book intrigues me.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

readerMom

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 08:49:44 PM »
Yeah, I was slightly annoyed when I realized how the story was set up, but I must say it is one of the best first person narratives I've ever read.  I don't know how I managed to missed the information that the next book doesn't come out until next YEAR, but I was very upset when I found out.  I hate waiting for the next book.