Author Topic: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread  (Read 100397 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread
« Reply #525 on: September 23, 2008, 03:26:35 PM »
A part of me is relieved, actually.  If all questions were answered, what would we theorize about?
I can see it now.  We'll all still be here in three or four years theorizing about what will happen in a trilogy that hasn't even come out yet.  We'll be like, 'It will take place in New York City because . . '  'NO!  It WILL take place in Cairo because . . '

ha ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 23, 2008, 07:16:28 PM »
Really? Someone taunting us with secrets. Wow I don't look forward to that. It must be frustrating to the point I can only imagine.

yeah, i wonder what that is like...one particular person, just...taunting away. Dropping tidbits of info here and there, then dancing away with an evil smirk...thank God we don't have to experience that...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

happyman

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 23, 2008, 08:55:46 PM »
Really? Someone taunting us with secrets. Wow I don't look forward to that. It must be frustrating to the point I can only imagine.

yeah, i wonder what that is like...one particular person, just...taunting away. Dropping tidbits of info here and there, then dancing away with an evil smirk...thank God we don't have to experience that...

Yeah, that'd be really annoying.  How would we ever know if we were getting close?
Nature hates being reified.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 25, 2008, 02:48:56 AM »
Man I really need to catch up!

As for the whole inquisitors thing, all the inquisitor viewpoints mention them using allomancy, and I'm pretty sure they were all seekers to start with, so I think it's safe to assume they use a combination of powers.

I think that they have allomancy but they didn't get it in the normal way, you notice how brandon says inquisitors are created VIA hemalurgy.  This leads me to believe that hemalurgy is merely the process in making an inquisitor, and the  ENDOWED powers they use are allomantic.  They only use hemalurgy to create new inquisitors.

So far, the two magic systems we know about have something to do with strengthening certain attributes, what if hemalurgy does this as well.  Something maxes out strength or speed or health, while others might max out allomancy.  They start out as misting seekers, and end up with the power of a misborn.  I'm not completely sure of this last paragraph, but I'm believeing more and more that hemalurgy is a process, not necessarily a power, Marsh says that hemalurgy is messy work after all.  So ya, there you go.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 25, 2008, 06:50:58 AM »
I think I said something along those lines some pages back, so yeah, I think it's definitely plausible. :)

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 01, 2008, 09:09:18 PM »
Ok wow, this thread needed to be bumped again.

Anyway, thought on Inquisitors; what if the reason it is only seekers who are made into Inquisitors is because of the hemalurgical property of brass? (It is brass the seekers use, right?)

Also there has to be a reason it is only Allomancy that has devolved to the point where most of its members can only use a single metal. (It would really suck if u were a feruchemist and all you could do was change your weight. Although useful for the pro wrestlers and horse jockeys out there.)
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #531 on: October 01, 2008, 09:13:22 PM »
No, brass Soothes. Bronze Seeks.

EDIT: There has to be more to Hemalurgy than just power-stealing. Power stealing does nothing to explain piercing copperclouds, which I am fairly convinced is Hemalurgically related.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 09:15:32 PM by Chaos2651 »
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 01, 2008, 09:51:31 PM »
Why can't piercing copperclouds be the combined powers of pure Allomancy and Hemalurgic Allomancy?  It has already been established that combining powers can greatly enhance ability.  Why would this be any different?  You will need a Seeker to create an Inquisitor either way, why not create the ability to detect Allomancy through copper clouds? 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #533 on: October 01, 2008, 09:57:53 PM »
Well, that theory is good, but that does very little to actually explain how it works. We understand the Allomancy and Feruchemy hybrid and it makes total sense, but Hemalurgy still remains mysterious.

Yes, it may very well be that piercing copperclouds has that effect. The question is why.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 01, 2008, 10:02:54 PM »
Are we sure that only seekers become Inquisitors? It doesn't seem like a prerequisite when you consider that Marsh was originally supposed to be a smoker....
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #535 on: October 01, 2008, 10:07:42 PM »
Are we sure that only seekers become Inquisitors? It doesn't seem like a prerequisite when you consider that Marsh was originally supposed to be a smoker....

That's a very valid point. It could just be any old Misting that could become an Inquisitor.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 01, 2008, 10:21:44 PM »
Of course, if it wasn't necessary, then why did EUOL change him to a Seeker?  Kinda makes you wonder.  I am not saying that they have to be Seekers, but when their main function under TLR was to find rogue allomancers, wouldn't you want their strongest ability to be Seeking?  Now it probably doesn't matter, but it was important when TLR was alive.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 01, 2008, 10:26:59 PM »
He changed him to a Seeker because he realized that the crew needed their Smoker (Clubs) to stay with them and protect them longer.

I'm not convinced that Inquistors-to-be even need to be Mistings of any kind.  It might be that way, but I haven't seen any direct evidence.
He ate my horse.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 02, 2008, 12:07:34 AM »
Now here's an interesting question:

Was Vin's sister a misting?

If we're going with the misting-per-spike theory, She would have to be. However, the odds of Vin's mother having a child with the high prelan, then later having another one and living to sacrifice the younger to the older are not good. So she would have had to have another noble to have Vin's sister. I don't really have a point here, just thought that I'd point that out.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 02, 2008, 07:08:49 AM »
Based on the first book, I thought they were full sisters.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!