Author Topic: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread  (Read 100393 times)

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread
« Reply #510 on: September 22, 2008, 05:37:35 PM »
Chaos, I agree with part of your theory, but what powers does Hemallurgy give you?  TLR's comments that Inquisitors are fabricated powers leads me to believe that it can be taken away if the metals are removed.  This is different from Allomancy, where once you have it, you have it for life.  I believe that the Sacrifice allows the metals to work in reverse, where the body's energy is drained to produce the metal's effects, instead of burning the metal.

That was my assumption as well. I think there was even a quote in MB1 that makes more sense if you picture it in that light. I'll edit if I find it.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #511 on: September 22, 2008, 05:50:38 PM »
I hop back and forth between the two particular theories. I have no idea what is right, though, before even thinking about what happens with an imbued metal is burned, I was always convinced that it was just Hemalurgy burning the body's energy--I still think that.

I'm to the point where I have no idea what I'm talking about anymore :P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 22, 2008, 08:14:14 PM »
Are we sure that Hemalurgy is even one of the three magic systems?

What if it is simply just an advanced form of Alomancy.  So there is actually a whole other different magic system we haven't even seen yet!

:o :]
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 22, 2008, 08:17:27 PM »
idk miyabi. That would seem a stretch for me. At this point I don't want any new magic system, I mean there is only one book left and not much time to cover every thing. If you throw another system into the mix I think it might have a negative effect. I don't see Brandon doing that so late in the game.

I'm not saying your wrong I'm just saying that I feel it unlikely.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 22, 2008, 08:46:06 PM »
idk miyabi. That would seem a stretch for me. At this point I don't want any new magic system, I mean there is only one book left and not much time to cover every thing. If you throw another system into the mix I think it might have a negative effect. I don't see Brandon doing that so late in the game.

I didn't say I agreed with it either.  I was just posing the possibility. :]
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 22, 2008, 09:25:36 PM »
Quote from: EUOL
However, Hemalurgy DOES fit quite well with the third (mostly unmentioned magic system) used by the Steel Inquisitors.

This is a quote from Brandon's writers group when he is trying to find a name for the third magic. At that time, Hemalurgy was what the Keepers used. Their magic was renamed Feruchemy and Hemalurgy was moved to the Inquisitors.
moustaches on the other.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 22, 2008, 09:31:56 PM »
BTW, the quote I was referring to was:

Quote from: MB1 pg 621
He had been awake for too long. Living as an Inquisitor drained the body, and he had to rest often. His brethren were already shuffling from the room, heading toward their rest chambers, which lay intentionally close to the throne room. They would sleep immediately; with the executions earlier in the day and the excitement of the night, they would be extremely fatigued.

Which begs the question. Why were they intentionally close to the throne room?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 09:34:46 PM by VegasDev »
moustaches on the other.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 22, 2008, 10:32:41 PM »
Quote from: EUOL
However, Hemalurgy DOES fit quite well with the third (mostly unmentioned magic system) used by the Steel Inquisitors.

This is a quote from Brandon's writers group when he is trying to find a name for the third magic. At that time, Hemalurgy was what the Keepers used. Their magic was renamed Feruchemy and Hemalurgy was moved to the Inquisitors.
Oh well you just ruin ALL my fun. xD.

The throne room huh?   Hmmmmm. . . . Maybe by being near the throne room made it easy for them to be useful to TLR without him having to wait for them.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #518 on: September 22, 2008, 10:35:34 PM »

Well, reading all annotations, it is very clear that Hemalurgy is it's own magic system. It can't be just Allomancy, because there's just too much going on. Everything about the Inquisitors is based upon Hemalurgy. Allomancy and Feruchemy cannot explain how gigantic spikes inside the body wouldn't kill you; they do nothing to explain how Inquisitors are made (it does not explain anything of the process); it does not explain how when Zane cuts himself, it makes the voice of Ruin weaker in his head; it does not even explain how Ruin's voice could affect anyone with metallic spikes in them.

In fact, reading the annotations, MB3 is the book which explains everything. It should explain how the mists operate, the duality between Ruin and Preservation operates, why there is ash in the sky, and how the Inquisitors work. Knowing these things are absolutely vital to solve the problem of defeating Ruin. The book is not like MB2--it does not focus nearly as much on warfare. MB3 explains things. ...That's why we are theorizing, right? Because we want to know what happens in MB3.

I completely think there is plenty of space to explain all of this stuff. That's what MB3 is about.

Of course, if you can give me an explanation about the stuff we attribute to Hemalurgy--for example, everything happens when you have metal piercing your body--with Allomancy and Feruchemy, then I'll be all ears. But, Brandon's continually mentioned Hemalurgy as a third magic system, so I have complete faith that it shall be described in this book.

EDIT: VegasDev's quote isn't the only quote referencing Hemalurgy. It happens a lot, really...

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 23, 2008, 12:06:27 AM »
Don't expect book 3 to answer all your questions. Like Brandon has mentioned regarding AMoL numerous times, there are things an author purposely leaves out.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #520 on: September 23, 2008, 01:24:08 AM »
Don't expect book 3 to answer all your questions. Like Brandon has mentioned regarding AMoL numerous times, there are things an author purposely leaves out.

Yes, but at that point, a question would be fair game to just ask Brandon, which just as good.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 23, 2008, 03:07:02 AM »
Yeah, except for the 2nd and 3rd trilogies coming down the pipe eventually.

There's always another secret. In fact, there's one that one of the characters near the end of the book flat-out taunts you with.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 23, 2008, 03:37:50 AM »
Really? Someone taunting us with secrets. Wow I don't look forward to that. It must be frustrating to the point I can only imagine.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #523 on: September 23, 2008, 04:38:17 AM »
Really? Someone taunting us with secrets. Wow I don't look forward to that. It must be frustrating to the point I can only imagine.

Lalalalallalala... CAN'T HEAR YOU...

In all honesty, I don't think it's going to be horrible. The Final Empire was completely awesome even though a lot was held back. It's far more about the story than anything else.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 23, 2008, 01:58:15 PM »
A part of me is relieved, actually.  If all questions were answered, what would we theorize about?
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.