Author Topic: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread  (Read 100377 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread
« Reply #360 on: July 15, 2008, 01:41:54 AM »
I believe one of the eyespikes is iron (they are different metals), which works with you theory, but the steel spike is in the spine.
AS for your hemalurgy burning mists theory Reaves, my major hole is this: Repelling and Burning the mist would look different.
1.  When Vin burns the mists in book one, they are swirling about her, not being repelled.
2.  If, the mists were vanishing as you suggest and not being repelled, that swirling patterns would simply stop, but if they are being repelled, the patterns would swirl away from them, continueing the pattern.  The characters, framiliar with the mists, would be able to notice this, and thus if the mists WERE vanishing, Elend would have said "The mists are vanishing around you Vin," and not, "I think you're repelling them."

"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Czanos

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 15, 2008, 04:59:10 AM »
He stepped forward. Though he could no longer see as normal men did--after all, he had large steel spikes driven point-first through his eyes--he could sense the room around him.

From the Mistborn 3 Prologue, but it's mentioned in several places that the eye spikes are indeed Steel.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 15, 2008, 05:41:45 AM »
I was sure they were iron, and during Sazed's fight with marsh, doesn't he remark that the eye spikes are of different metals?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 15, 2008, 06:04:55 AM »
I was sure they were iron, and during Sazed's fight with marsh, doesn't he remark that the eye spikes are of different metals?
Yes, I believe he does.  I THINK that what's happening here is that one time they are perceived as Steel, but they are later seen closer and that reveals the truth behind them.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 15, 2008, 06:22:28 AM »
I just looked it up. There is a mention of them being Iron Eyes, but nothing about them being different metals. :/

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 15, 2008, 06:53:42 AM »
But the real question is what part do they play? They are both Iron, we know that brass is in the heart, now what about the other 7?
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Qarlin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 15, 2008, 08:14:51 AM »
But I believe they are actually made out of steel. Iron Eyes being a reference to Marsh's nickname.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 15, 2008, 10:11:10 AM »
eh, whether they are iron or steel it matters not. both metals allow you to see allomantically

EDIT: actually, they are steel  ;)
check Czanos' quote above
He stepped forward. Though he could no longer see as normal men did--after all, he had large steel spikes driven point-first through his eyes--he could sense the room around him.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 05:43:25 PM by Reaves »
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 15, 2008, 08:02:58 PM »
And we don't know that the brass one goes through the inquisitors heart, only that it goes through the sacrifices heart, in the Inquisitor it could be positioned anywhere!
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Qarlin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 15, 2008, 09:41:29 PM »
Steel and Brass. We don't really know what other metals are used to make inquisitors, do we? Sazed mentions that different metals are used, but not which ones.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 16, 2008, 01:27:19 AM »
a Brass spike and a feruchemist sacrifice, Brass stores warmth in feruchemy right, guess the old theory about a spike per power goes out the window doesn't it, well perhaps there is still a spike per power, just different ones than the sacrifice has, I can;t see inquisitors wasteing a full sacrifice on warmth!
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Qarlin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 16, 2008, 02:58:33 AM »
I still think it could be one spike per power, or even a couple spikes for a power, but I agree that they're prolly not stealing powers from Feruchemists.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 16, 2008, 03:10:48 AM »
Then the question is, why use feruchmists?  What's the benefit??
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 16, 2008, 06:22:12 AM »
Then the question is, why use feruchmists?  What's the benefit??

Based on the "hemalurgy is stealing power" theory I think feruchemists make lots of sense.   If using (Skaa) alomancers steals the alomancy power, then it makes sense that using feruchmests would mean that it steals their power and gives it to the inquisitor.  That would make some pretty bad ass inquisitors.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 16, 2008, 08:30:27 AM »
The spike would need to pierce the man's body, passing through the heart, then be driven into the body of the Inquisitor tied below

It doesn't say it has to be in the heart, but do they drive it through the heart because of the amount of blood that would be there? Could the spike actually be working as the vessel that carries the blood into the other person's body?
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."