Author Topic: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread  (Read 100423 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread
« Reply #345 on: July 11, 2008, 05:12:15 PM »
lol thats what i was thinking, havent seen Vintage, Chaos, or Ookla in a while. And i defintely think Comatose=craziest theorizer ever!!

Why yes, yes indeed.

And I think kthe kidneys and stomach and intestines are too low down, I thought the lower spikes were all in the chest, but you guys are including the who torso.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 05:13:48 PM by Comatose »
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 11, 2008, 06:35:55 PM »
lol thats what i was thinking, havent seen Vintage, Chaos, or Ookla in a while. And i defintely think Comatose=craziest theorizer ever!!

Why yes, yes indeed.

And I think kthe kidneys and stomach and intestines are too low down, I thought the lower spikes were all in the chest, but you guys are including the who torso.
Well there are no other places in the upper torso that are vital organs.

My money is on the stomach.  It's still somewhat up there and the spike might stay in.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 11, 2008, 11:04:16 PM »
maybe the metal symbols have something to do with the way the spikes pierce the body
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 11, 2008, 11:52:58 PM »

Why yes, yes indeed.

My money is on the stomach.  It's still somewhat up there and the spike might stay in.

Do inquisitors need to eat?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 12, 2008, 01:49:49 AM »

Why yes, yes indeed.

Do inquisitors need to eat?
I do not believe it was ever mentioned if they had to or not.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 12, 2008, 01:50:56 AM »
maybe the metal symbols have something to do with the way the spikes pierce the body
I don't think so.  Many of them have two spikes in them and there are only 11 spikes. . . . I don't think that would work.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 12, 2008, 02:07:47 AM »
I think how the spikes are positioned will play some part, where in the upper torso could 7 other spikes go (i'm counting the one in the heart already)
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 14, 2008, 12:10:31 AM »
I'm pretty sure it clearly says "chest" though in the book, does anyone have the quote?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 14, 2008, 01:24:42 AM »
One interesting note:

While rereading Mistborn 1 on Friday, I think it said that the spike connecting the eyes and the rest of the body was made out of steel.  It's during the showdown with TLR when Marsh destroys all the Inquisitors in Kredik Shaw.
Nature hates being reified.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 14, 2008, 01:43:49 AM »
And the steel and ironlines point to the chest, where the spike goes through, to connect to the spike in the head.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 14, 2008, 03:32:43 PM »
Ok, im continuing the conversation on using the mists from the Ruin and Preservation thread.

We know that Vin and possibly others can burn mists. This is supported by several quotes from the book and Sanderson, such as
While she was fighting him, she drew upon the mists somehow, burning them in place of metals.

That day, they (the mists) had fueled her Allomancy, giving her a strength they shouldn't have had.

Ok. we know she can burn mists. The second quote says it is Allomancy, but i do not believe that is proof it actually is Allomancy. Right now, she has no idea that hemalurgy even exists; all she knows is that she has a strange power and assumes it is Allomancy.

I have gone back and forth on whether i think it actually is Allomancy; at first i had thought hemalurgy, then andrew convinced me it was allomancy. Now i am back to hemalurgy. However, there are arguments both ways.

ALLOMANCY
-Vin tells us she thinks it is Allomancy
-Allomancers in the past were more powerful, perhaps because of this ability
-to use Allomancy you burn metals, perhaps burning mist is not too far different

HEMALURGY
-We know Vin has hemalurgy, to me it makes sense to connect the dots. She has a strange power no other Allomancer knows of...and hemalurgy is a strange power no one knows of.
-the effect of the mists being repelled is i believe explained by this theory. When a hemalurgist is burning mist, the mist around them has the effect of being repelled, although it is actually being burned. It would not make sense for Allomancers to attract mist when they burn it, because all modern Allomancers attract mist and they know nothing of burning it.

SOMETHING ELSE
-i think miyabi suggested that burning mist was actually a different power, unrelated to hemalurgy, feruchemy, or allomancy. To take a page from his book,
that theory has more holes than swiss cheese.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 03:40:14 PM by Reaves »
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 14, 2008, 05:36:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure it clearly says "chest" though in the book, does anyone have the quote?

MB1, p. 637
Marsh nodded.  "Two in the head, eight in the chest, one in the back to seal them together."

I agree that this is a major hole for the spike-per-organ theory.  I can't think of any organs in the chest except heart and lungs.  It's my understanding that in the MB3 prologue, the spike went through the VICTIM'S heart but not necessarily through the heart of the Inquisitor-in-the-making.  I don't know, though; we do know that the Inquisitors' eyes are replaced by spikes, so for consistency it might make sense for the same to be true of other organs.
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 14, 2008, 06:36:24 PM »

MB1, p. 637
Marsh nodded.  "Two in the head, eight in the chest, one in the back to seal them together."

I agree that this is a major hole for the spike-per-organ theory.  I can't think of any organs in the chest except heart and lungs.  It's my understanding that in the MB3 prologue, the spike went through the VICTIM'S heart but not necessarily through the heart of the Inquisitor-in-the-making.  I don't know, though; we do know that the Inquisitors' eyes are replaced by spikes, so for consistency it might make sense for the same to be true of other organs.
Yes yes, quite a conundrum I would say.  Perhaps they are simply set up in a pattern in the chest, but who knows for sure.  I have a feeling we will find out in the third book.

PS - Did anyone notice that MB1 = a lot of talking about Allomancy, MB2 = A lot of in depth about Feruchemy.  I think I see a pattern.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 14, 2008, 10:11:32 PM »
perhaps the eight in the chest follow the pattern of a ribcage, with the one in the back running vertically like a spine?

also on an unrelated note, has anyone considered that there are Steel spikes in an Inquisitors eyes, and Steel allows them to 'see' allomantically. Also Vin's earring allows her to 'hear' the pulses of the well.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 12:00:48 AM by Reaves »

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 15, 2008, 12:12:44 AM »
perhaps the eight in the chest follow the pattern of a ribcage, with the one in the back running vertically like a spine?

also on an unrelated note, has anyone considered that there are Steel spikes in an Inquisitors eyes, and Steel allows them to 'see' allomantically. Also Vin's earring allows her to 'hear' the pulses of the well.
Yes yes, that has been talked about before.  BUT  the thing being. . . . Inquisitors have the same ability to 'hear' the pulses, BUT they don't have earrings.

I believe that they well thing is something that is unrelated to Hemalurgy.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。