Author Topic: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread  (Read 100434 times)

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
Re: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread
« Reply #330 on: July 11, 2008, 12:32:50 AM »
hemaphobia is the fear of blood so i guess we're good
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 11, 2008, 12:33:33 AM »
We have no hard evidence that Hemalurgy burns the blood away, but from the latin root, various quotes in the books about Hemalurgy being messy, and possibly including the fact that inquisitors have to rest often, it is most often assumed that Hemalurgy uses the blood in some manner. Whether or not the blood is actually burned up is something we don't really have enough information to pursue. (I think not, but I'm nowhere near sure.)
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 11, 2008, 12:38:27 AM »
What else could it be? I can't remember but it's in some thread where they break down all the magic systems name... It doesn't burn the blood per se, just uses it somehow.

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 11, 2008, 12:43:48 AM »
It could be like Feruchemy in a way, where it taps into a latent source within the blood, but does not actually consume the blood itself.
A man called Hope.

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 11, 2008, 12:47:39 AM »
thats what i just said on a different thread, i REALLY like that idea. :)

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 11, 2008, 12:50:55 AM »
It does seem to fit in quite well with my theory of Hemalurgy. By tapping into the latent abilities in the blood, one could use Allomancy and Feruchemy, (if those traits were in your blood,) not have to worry about killing yourself by using too much Hemalurgy, and satisfies Brandon's condition that each of the magic systems draws the power from a different source. (Hemalurgy = Blood, Feruchemy = stored traits from one's body, Allomancy = the metals themselves.)
A man called Hope.

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 11, 2008, 12:54:33 AM »
So hemalurgy accesses the blood, and the rest is what is needed to restore the abilities. It fits in oh so well, and we'll all know for sure as soon as oct 20 hits us on the head! :-\

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 11, 2008, 01:17:30 AM »
I think the Hemalurgy connection to blood isn't as strong as the general consensus seems to think.

We know that originally, Brandon had the second system (now Feruchemy) originally called Hemalurgy.  I don't remember the exact wording (but I am sure someone can find it) but I think Brandon mentions something along the lines that he feels Hemalurgy fits a little better with the third system than the second, and then looks for a different name for the second.

I think the "Hema" reference could just be because it's a bloody process (which we now know for sure according to the prolog).

I don't think "Hema" implies that blood is a large part of the magic system.  It seems like if that was the case, he would of called it Hemalurgy from the beginning, rather than coming up with the name and using it for the second system.

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 11, 2008, 01:25:48 AM »
It fits so well thought!  :-X

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 11, 2008, 01:38:29 AM »
The idea that hemalurgy actually burns the blood is in large part my fault, as it was my initial theory as seen on page 9 of this thread. That's the first time I recall seeing it anyway. Maybe I'm stealing credit from somewhere else. If so, please inform me. There were several others who either believed this or something similar to it, so we formed the backbone of what you see as a general consensus now. However, in light of information revealed since then, plus some problems with the way burning blood works, I think it's more likely that blood is just used in the process of gaining hemalurgy or is somehow used as a power source without burning it. Though, of course, it's all speculation, as we really don't know enough to prove anything.

As a side note, does anyone know what happened to Chaos and Vintage? I haven't seen them around for a while. We could use a few more crazy theorizers around here...Plus it's my experience that I come up with my best ideas when reading Chaos' posts....which is kind of wierd....oh well.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 11, 2008, 02:02:30 AM »
lol thats what i was thinking, havent seen Vintage, Chaos, or Ookla in a while. And i defintely think Comatose=craziest theorizer ever!!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 11, 2008, 02:21:34 AM »
Blood used in the process, but how do they do the magic? what are we missing...

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #342 on: July 11, 2008, 04:48:40 AM »
I am here, actually. It's just on 4th of July week I had to work Tuesday through Friday at my local foodstore where I work (which really sucked--darn people wanting to buy things for the holiday!). And the Saturday after that, I flew into Southern California where I am now for vacation. It turns out, my experience on Catalina Island gave me some time to go online. (Catalina Island is great; I recommend it for anyone!)

So, earlier today, I decided to check brandonsanderson.com, and wow. I was not expecting the Mistborn 3 prologue. Nor was I expecting the seven new pages of Hemalurgy posts, but I enjoyed reading them nonetheless. You certainly keep me on my toes when I am gone!

I've been absorbing information this current moment. Some theories are good... some not so good. However, I will go out of my way and say that the specific organ idea is fantastic. Definitely sheds some better light onto the magic system.

Aren't you glad I created this thread so we could all go mad with theories? :P

But! I must talk about one more thing in particular:

The idea that hemalurgy actually burns the blood is in large part my fault, as it was my initial theory as seen on page 9 of this thread. That's the first time I recall seeing it anyway. Maybe I'm stealing credit from somewhere else. If so, please inform me. There were several others who either believed this or something similar to it, so we formed the backbone of what you see as a general consensus now. However, in light of information revealed since then, plus some problems with the way burning blood works, I think it's more likely that blood is just used in the process of gaining hemalurgy or is somehow used as a power source without burning it. Though, of course, it's all speculation, as we really don't know enough to prove anything.

As a side note, does anyone know what happened to Chaos and Vintage? I haven't seen them around for a while. We could use a few more crazy theorizers around here...Plus it's my experience that I come up with my best ideas when reading Chaos' posts....which is kind of wierd....oh well.

I had a very, very similar theory, though mine was more vague. It was on page seven, though, so I will happily take all the credit for it. Also Andrew, this means the "stealing credit" is from me! Haha, just kidding. I'm also the "several others" who believed in this. And, clearly, as you so conveniently said, you get your best idea when reading my posts. :D

Definitely, definitely expect a large post from me around Sunday-ish. That'll be the day I get back from vacation, when I can really end my discussions in my brain about theories and come up with some cool stuff.

There's one thing I'd like elaborated upon: why a specific spike to a specific organ? I mean, why brass in one place over another? I need to reread the post where it was talked about, but if someone could explain it rationally, that would be great.

EDIT: Excuse me. I misinterpreted. Someone earlier merely stated which organs get pierced, not which metal pierced them. My mistake.

Though, someone should really combine that with Andrew's page 9 Hemalurgy theory. That one did a much better job than mine to explain which metal did which, and the logic behind it. Mine was much more "how it operates" sort of thing.

I really think if we can fuse all three theories together, we can get a very good approximation of how Hemalurgy works!

My theory of how it operates + Andrew's list of what metals are what + Organs.

Food for discussion, eh?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 04:56:17 AM by Chaos2651 »
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 11, 2008, 05:29:34 AM »
There's one thing I'd like elaborated upon: why a specific spike to a specific organ? I mean, why brass in one place over another? I need to reread the post where it was talked about, but if someone could explain it rationally, that would be great.
I actually brought this particular thing up.  It wasn't very detailed though, just a fleeting thought.

Well, there was the thought of each organ giving an ability or something.  I just thought what if each spike was a certain metal.

オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 11, 2008, 09:26:10 AM »
1 heart 2 lungs 1 pancreas 2 eyes 1 spine 2 kidney 1 stomach... forgot the other one... lol