Author Topic: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread  (Read 100407 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread
« Reply #285 on: July 08, 2008, 04:50:55 PM »
They constantly use Duralumin, which burns more blood along with the selected metal... Weird thought, I was just thinking how they would select the metals to use in the blood... How could they use certain metals? We never see them taking metals so how do they "burn" a selected one? So many questions... I stand by the using blood theory. It makes it separate from the other two.
Sorry to poke a hole in this, but it says in both MB1 and MB2 that the Lord Rulers nor the Steel Inquisitors had discovered the Aluminum alloy, Duralumin.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 08, 2008, 05:14:54 PM »
They constantly use Duralumin, which burns more blood along with the selected metal... Weird thought, I was just thinking how they would select the metals to use in the blood... How could they use certain metals? We never see them taking metals so how do they "burn" a selected one? So many questions... I stand by the using blood theory. It makes it separate from the other two.
Sorry to poke a hole in this, but it says in both MB1 and MB2 that the Lord Rulers nor the Steel Inquisitors had discovered the Aluminum alloy, Duralumin.

could u give quotes for this from the book? Something concrete? After all, the Inquisitors knew about Aluminum, they made Vin burn it to destroy all her metals.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 08, 2008, 06:09:57 PM »
The whole first chuck of MB2 is talking about Duralumin.  I guess that in neither MB1 or MB2 do they actually say, 'they didn't have it,' but it seems likely to me that they didn't.  Vin does say something about, 'or the Ministry tried really hard to keep it a secret.'  So I guess it is plausible.  But I think the probability is semi-low, after all would not Noorden have known about it and been able to tell Vin and Elend?  Would he have not wanted to tell them this if he had known?  He was after all, a high ranking obligator.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 08, 2008, 07:30:32 PM »
so you think Vin was the very first to ever discover Duralumin?
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 08, 2008, 07:41:17 PM »
Yeah, or at least the first to figure out what it does.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 09, 2008, 12:55:41 AM »
Here's my problem with that: they knew about aluminum. So unless they think that the metal that gives Allomancy is paired with it I see no reason they shouldn't know about Duralumin. It does say they know about Aluminum (based on the fact they give it to Vin when she's captured in MB1) so I really do think they know about Duralumin. I can also point out that it doesn't say that they don't know about Duralumin ;) I really want to know how they use the metals/blood now... Going to kill me until HoA.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 09, 2008, 03:12:48 AM »
They did think that atium was paired with gold didn;t they?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 09, 2008, 03:14:08 AM »
Yeah, they have to know just like everyone else that all metals have an alloy, also usable by Allomancy. It would not be too hard to figure out Aluminum's alloy, especially considering they can put the resources of a millenium-spanning empire to bear on the issue.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 09, 2008, 03:19:36 AM »
They did think that atium was paired with gold didn;t they?
Thats what the general Allomancer population thought, i'm not sure if thats what the Steel Ministry thought as well. It would be nice to know where Kelsier found the legends about the Eleventh Metal...

Also it would seem that the legends must have been started by a person who knew that Rashek, not Alendi, was the Lord Ruler.

Also....did anyone notice that Vin saw two people when she used the Eleventh metal on TLR? One a young man, one a Terris tribesman? It is my theory that the young man was Alendi....

BTW my theory is that the Lord Ruler was turning the atium into malatium. Why i don't know. I have absolutely no evidence to support this other than the fact that the atium...isn't there.

lol sry this post is extremely rambling and confusing. One thought led to another....

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 09, 2008, 05:38:15 AM »
I believe that first time she used the eleventh metal there was more than one person in the room, and the second man was an inquisitor.

Comingday

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 09, 2008, 08:07:21 AM »
Sorry if I say stuff that has already been said beforehand, but it's late and I jumped onto this forum a little while ago so have not had the chance to read everything.  Also this is my first post so bear with me.

Anyways I had this huge epiphany with the whole hemalurgy and allomancy having to do with the mists.  First of all, the people who use hemalurgy that we have seen so far (ie inquisitors, zane I belive) all have steel within them correct.  Afterall, inquisitors are part of the "steel ministry."  Now steel according to the allomantic table that is in the book pushes (also on a sidenote about this,  in the table it says steel pulls at least in the book I have while iron pushes.  But later on in the definition part, it says that steel pushes which is correct I belive). So my theory is that this is why the mist reacts the way they do to hemalurgists.  Now for allomancy mistborns, I believe that they attract the mist because they are born with allomantic powers.  Possibly this has to do with an abnormal high level of iron that they have within their blood which in turn attracts the mist. 

Sorry once again if this post is a little out of place but I really wanted to throw this idea out there if it hasn't been mentioned before.  Really nice discussions on here by the way.   :)

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 09, 2008, 10:18:33 AM »
I believe that first time she used the eleventh metal there was more than one person in the room, and the second man was an inquisitor.
GOSHDARNIT!!!! no seriously i am going to reread that section of MB1. i thought they both appeared next to TLR.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 09, 2008, 04:28:56 PM »
Anyways I had this huge epiphany with the whole hemalurgy and allomancy having to do with the mists.  First of all, the people who use hemalurgy that we have seen so far (ie inquisitors, zane I belive) all have steel within them correct.  Afterall, inquisitors are part of the "steel ministry."  Now steel according to the allomantic table that is in the book pushes (also on a sidenote about this,  in the table it says steel pulls at least in the book I have while iron pushes.  But later on in the definition part, it says that steel pushes which is correct I belive). So my theory is that this is why the mist reacts the way they do to hemalurgists.  Now for allomancy mistborns, I believe that they attract the mist because they are born with allomantic powers.  Possibly this has to do with an abnormal high level of iron that they have within their blood which in turn attracts the mist. 
First off, welcome to timewastersguide!
So to get this straight you think hemalurgists naturally have a high amount of steel in their blood, and allomancers naturally have a high amount of iron in their blood? and that the metal is unconsciously reacting to metal in the mists? If that were the case, it would seem that an allomancer would never need to drink iron flakes, and vice versa for a hemalurgist. Also what if an allomancer drank no iron, but lots of steel? would the mists still be repelled?

Interesting theory, but without any further evidence i don't think so.

and geez i double post a lot....sry...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 04:33:58 PM by Reaves »

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 09, 2008, 05:59:39 PM »
Well, from what I've seen, Allomancers only burn metal that is in their stomach.  This would make sense, because if you say burned the iron that was naturally in your blood, you would get week and you would probably die.

SO I think that this theory could have some credence to it, but yes, more proof is probably needed in order to verify it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 09, 2008, 11:07:06 PM »
That actually makes a lot of sense, but if Vin is a hemalurgist due to her bronze earring as we believe, that whole line of thinking goes out the window. It also doesn't really explain how it works for people who are both inquisitors and allomancers.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence