Author Topic: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread  (Read 100376 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread
« Reply #270 on: July 06, 2008, 12:12:12 AM »
I stand corrected.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 06, 2008, 02:35:22 AM »
lol i feel like such an idiot. We have what? 6+ pages simply talking about whether Inquisitors use Allomancy or not and Sanderson says right out they use Hemalurgy. This also tells us that drawing on or 'burning' the mists is not an Allomantic ability (which most of us suspected) Mystery solved!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 06, 2008, 02:52:30 AM »
I wouldn't draw the same conclusions as you based solely on what he says in that thread.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Czanos

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 06, 2008, 04:11:22 AM »
We can however draw the conclusion that Hemalurgy is an active process. We can also note that the Steel Inquisitors actually use Hemalurgy, instead of it just being the process by which they are made. Finally, all three magic systems use metals in different ways and they all draw power from different sources.

From these facts, we can deduce that Hemalurgy is not just some sort of passive enhance-other-abilities skill, (Though it could be an active enhancing skill.) Inquisitors do have powers beyond that of Allomancy, and that Hemalurgy does not draw it's enhancing power from the metals themselves or stored attributes within those metals.

I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 06, 2008, 12:58:13 PM »
Of course i am not solely using what Sanderson said to conclude that burning mists is a hemalurgical ability. I just think it would be stretching the boundaries of coincidence, natural and physical law, blah blah blah etc... that Vin, Zane, and the Inquisitors all 'push' the mists away...and all have hemalurgy. (For those of you who might be new to the thread look through and you will see why we think Vin and Zane use it.
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 06, 2008, 05:41:16 PM »
I think this theory is very comprehensive and has good foundings in it, but could we also consider that maybe the manipulations of the mists is another power all together.  One which that is not classified in the three magical systems?

-I may post an entire new thread on this later.-
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 06, 2008, 11:51:46 PM »
I like the idea, but Brandon says there's only three magic systems.  I'm guessing the inquisitors use allomancy and hemalurgy, but I don't think Hemalurgy enhances allomancy any more (or if it does, it's not the only thing it does, we already know it enhances allomancy somewhat: copper cloud piercing, Zane's skill with steel).  It must also have something to do with the inquisitors ability to heal very quickly and need for rest.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 07, 2008, 12:50:31 AM »
Yes, but maybe not just a different system.  Maybe it's an independent power.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 07, 2008, 02:05:41 AM »
what do u mean, power? do u mean something akin to Preservation and Ruin?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 07, 2008, 02:19:14 AM »
Potentially, possibly a gray area in between the two.

Or an ability that only some people have, but it isn't necessarily its own magic system, just a gift.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #280 on: July 07, 2008, 08:36:57 AM »
That smacks of deus ex machina plotting, though, which doesn't sound like Sanderson writing to me. Part of the giggle in the whole magic system so far is that he sets up the points and sticks to the rules... adding in a joker to the deck throws a wrench into the works by suggesting that all the rules apply EXCEPT in this one case when it's convenient for them to do so by dint of an as-yet unknown fourth power.

No sir, I don't like it. If that's what's going on, I'll be disappointed.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 07, 2008, 03:51:05 PM »
hmm...i think this is moving away from the topic of the thread. Perhaps Miyabi if you would like to explain your theory in depth in a thread of your own making?

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 07, 2008, 11:25:01 PM »
This is continued from a bit of an off topic ramble (started by me, sorry) on the 16th and 15th metal thread:

All the present day ones are also allomancers at least, and were also allomancer before getting hemalurgy that we know of (marsh was a seeker, most inquisitors (if not all) are seekers beforehand, and Vin and Zane are mistborn).

But Alendi is probably also a hemalurgist of some kind (piercing of the hero) meaning he is probably the only pure hemalurgist we know of.  Too bad we know nothing of him in battle other than the fact that he is proficient, enought to make Kwann worry that he will not be able to be stopped on the way to the well, but he is also in awe of feruchemy, and perhaps afraid of it, and we know Rashek was able to kill him.  Who knows what kind of power Alendi had.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 08, 2008, 12:52:25 AM »
The more and more I read the more I like the idea that SI's use their blood to use the metals. As for why they used seekers (I think they said that they use seekers for SI's in the books...) I have know idea. Maybe it's because they have more experience Seeking. Brandon has said they are 3 different systems, so that supports the idea that they use their blood, and the spikes provide the metal in the blood (as we can see with Mistborn and Feruchemists the systems use the metals). That would also explain the reason they have to rest a lot of the time. The SI's use their blood, that makes them separate from the other two systems, but links them by the need of being impaled by the different metals. They have eleven spikes, each different (yet to determine what metals they actually have) but I don't think we can put Duralumin out of the picture for them. They knew about Aluminum so they should know that had its partner. That would also explain why they are so strong. They constantly use Duralumin, which burns more blood along with the selected metal... Weird thought, I was just thinking how they would select the metals to use in the blood... How could they use certain metals? We never see them taking metals so how do they "burn" a selected one? So many questions... I stand by the using blood theory. It makes it separate from the other two.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 08, 2008, 10:13:31 AM »
yes i think most of us have the same thoughts. Interesting idea though about them using duralumin to be so powerful.