Author Topic: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread  (Read 100447 times)

somonel

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread
« Reply #255 on: June 18, 2008, 05:16:56 AM »
I don't know whether this has been mentioned or not, or whether this is too much of a spoiler or not, but...

EUOL mentioned in some of his earlier posts something about Inquisitors, and Mare.
He said, "There's more going on here, of course.  If I ever write the Kelsier short story that talks about him discovering the Eleventh Metal, I will get into why the Inquisitors weren't given Mare as they wanted.  The Lord Ruler specifically chose to send her to the Pits rather than handing her over to the Inquisitors.  (Note: She wouldn't have ended up on a hook.  Inquisitors had other...uses for skaa Mistings they captured.  See book three.)
In fact, this already has too many spoilers.  Ask me more after Mistborn 3 is out."

So I suspect that Inquisitors take skaa mistings, and sacrifice them to endow Inquisitors with their powers. Of course, you'd need one misting of each metal to be sacrificed for each power, so that requires multiple bodies. It also explains why they choose someone who already is a misting to become an Inquisitor - it means one less illegal misting to hunt down and sacrifice.

Of course, I don't know how atium mistings could be found... But still; I think its pretty obvious from EUOL's slip-up there that you need mistings to be sacrificed in order for Inquisitors to get their abilities. Vin's sister was also probably a misting, I'm thinking, also.

I always wanted the Hemalurgy magic system to be something other than simply an extension of Allomancy though. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that its a magic system in its own right, like Feruchemy. Guess we'll have to wait till MS3.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 18, 2008, 06:35:41 AM »
I don't know whether this has been mentioned or not, or whether this is too much of a spoiler or not, but...

EUOL mentioned in some of his earlier posts something about Inquisitors, and Mare.
He said, "There's more going on here, of course.  If I ever write the Kelsier short story that talks about him discovering the Eleventh Metal, I will get into why the Inquisitors weren't given Mare as they wanted.  The Lord Ruler specifically chose to send her to the Pits rather than handing her over to the Inquisitors.  (Note: She wouldn't have ended up on a hook.  Inquisitors had other...uses for skaa Mistings they captured.  See book three.)
In fact, this already has too many spoilers.  Ask me more after Mistborn 3 is out."

Link, please? Or at least say where was it posted. I looked all through MB1 annotations and didn't see anything. I even started on MB2. Anyway, I would appreciate that.

That would definitely support the misting per spike theory that's been floating around for a while now. Now I don't know what to decide. I used to be very against it, but now...not so  much. Although, arguably, it could be some other use that creating new inquisitors.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 06:50:23 AM by Andrew the Great »
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #257 on: June 18, 2008, 07:00:29 AM »
I've never been much for the misting sacrifices, either, but if we get confirmation... I'm not bigoted enough to admit when I could be wrong :P.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

somonel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 18, 2008, 07:44:06 AM »
EUOL's comment is on this page of the forums: http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=5668.msg118158#msg118158

His is the third comment on the thread.

I still think that there are other aspects to Hemalurgy besides just the granting of Allomancy powers, though. B.S. always said that there were three magic systems, which were unique, but intertwined. What we know of Hemalurgy so far seems more like an extension of Allomancy than a magic system in its own right, so there's probably a lot more out there.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 18, 2008, 08:25:53 PM »
Just because the inquisitors have uses for Ska mistings, doesn't mean they are for the sacrificing, as you said before, when I was originally proposing this theory, that would mean they had to sacrifice a full mistborn for every inquisitory, and possibly a feruchemist, for the healing abilities.  And about the spikes in the chest, I think the positioning is important.  Did anyone else notice that the chest, where most of the spikes are, is the same place the iron and steel line point to on a mistborn?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 19, 2008, 01:23:29 AM »
I'm with coma on the sacrifices.. I did not notice how the lines point to a mistborn's chest. book 3 plskkthnks
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 19, 2008, 05:11:08 PM »
I've never liked the misting per spike theory, and I think there are probably other explanations for why inquisitors would want Mare. There are too many problems with the misting per spike theory for me. Coma, I'd just noticed that the spikes are in the chest (where the lines go) when you pointed it out. Most excellent. My one question is why does it matter? I'm sure it has some significance, but it's lost on me at the moment. Also, aren't the steel and iron spikes in the eyes, and the lynch pin spike at the back of the base of the neck? Those are the only ones we know for sure.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 19, 2008, 08:39:07 PM »
I don't like the misting per spike theory any more either, I'm still a fan of the "They eat the metal to get allomancy, and hemalurgy does something different." theory (boy, we have a lot of these).  We know that the heart is in the chest, and hemalurgy has something to do with blood is there a conncectio nthere?   Also notice how each power seems to correspond to a body part: Allomancy-stomach, Hemalurgy-blood (i know it's not actually an organ, but it's aprt of the body) and Feruchemy- Brain? (metalminds?)  Just something I've been tossing around in my head.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 19, 2008, 10:02:09 PM »
Doing the re-read of Mistborn, and when Vin is sparring or practicing with steel/iron the blue lines come out of her chest and point to the metals near by, could that have anything to do with the SI's chest-vision thing?
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 22, 2008, 08:16:07 PM »
i still don't agree that you need to sacrifice a mistborn to get an inquisitor, but it would be easier to make mistborn if the Inqs have a good supply of the metal that made Elend a mistborn.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 05, 2008, 05:33:31 PM »
Well I don't have the time right this moment to read all 18 pages,
but I'll get to it.

So,
I'm not sure if this was mentioned before,
but I'd like to point something out that would highly support that Hemalurgy would have to do with blood.

-Oh god,
here comes the linguist in me.-

Hemalurgy could be broken down as follows.
If we look at the first root word,
we get Hema,
now Hema means blood.
The second part would be urgy,
which means a process of working,
so they are using the blood to do something.

This would follow patters,
such as Alloy in Allomancy,
would mean metals.
Mancy would obviously be the manipulation,
or exploitation,
of the previous thing.

Feruchemy can be broken down to Fetra,
which means limitations,
and chemy would mean chemistry,
so it would be the interactions of limitations.
In this case they use the metals,
in order to change what the limitations would be.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 05, 2008, 07:32:54 PM »
The Feru in Feruchemy is loosely related to ferrum, the Latin word for iron.

Your posts would be a lot easier to read if you used normal paragraphing. Writing like a normal human being is a requirement to participate in this messageboard.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 07:35:23 PM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 05, 2008, 07:58:10 PM »
AS for the linguistic stuff, I think that was mostly covered already, sorry.  It is a daunting task to read this whole thread though, and it does take a while, it's hard to start in when a thread has been going for  a while, if you have a really good idea, and you don't have time to read the whol thread, try skimming through posts, instead of reading them just to see if waht your saying has been mentioned before, and then read through the whole thing when you do have time, because these threads really are great reads!
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 05, 2008, 08:12:29 PM »
The Feru in Feruchemy is loosely related to ferrum, the Latin word for iron.

Your posts would be a lot easier to read if you used normal paragraphing. Writing like a normal human being is a requirement to participate in this messageboard.
Sorry, it's habitual.

As pertaining to Feru, in Greek Feru is a sub form of the word Fetra, which means limitations.  That combined with the "chemy" part of the word makes me believe that it is more aligned in this manner.  As well as the fact that Hema, mancy, and urgy all being from Greek roots, would all support the idea that the root Fetra was used.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 05, 2008, 11:43:26 PM »
Brandon isn't being that precise. I was here on the messageboard in the thread where he came up with Feruchemy:

http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=4819.0

The word I'm drawing the 'Ferr' from anyway is Latin for iron, which is Ferrum.

First post. Feruchemy's original name was (dum dum dum) Hemalurgy.

Actually, that thread might give people in this thread some ideas.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 11:47:06 PM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!