Author Topic: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread  (Read 100337 times)

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
Re: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread
« Reply #405 on: July 19, 2008, 09:47:53 AM »
Hmmm Painful throb with emotions. Sounds like something we need to look more into.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 19, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »
Ok so ive read a decent amount about Hemalurgy what it actually is still seems to evade me. i understand that the reality of what it is is still un-known, but if someone could give me the best guess so i have somewhere do go from when the topic comes up i would apreciate it. it apparently has to do with blood and projecting voices into peoples minds. if im missing something please help me out because im lost.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 19, 2008, 05:51:06 PM »
Hmmm Painful throb with emotions. Sounds like something we need to look more into.

So what if you rioted all of their emotions with durulium, would they be overwhelmed with pain.  Methinks this is a new way to best an inquisitor!
Also Zane says the pain of cutting himself weakens God's voice, so by overwhelming the inqisitors with pain, or putting them through a lot of it, could you free them from Ruin's influence?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 19, 2008, 09:02:55 PM »
So what if you rioted all of their emotions with durulium, would they be overwhelmed with pain.  Methinks this is a new way to best an inquisitor!
Also Zane says the pain of cutting himself weakens God's voice, so by overwhelming the inqisitors with pain, or putting them through a lot of it, could you free them from Ruin's influence?

I like the Rioting idea! I like both ideas!

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 19, 2008, 11:54:59 PM »
Ok so ive read a decent amount about Hemalurgy what it actually is still seems to evade me. i understand that the reality of what it is is still un-known, but if someone could give me the best guess so i have somewhere do go from when the topic comes up i would apreciate it. it apparently has to do with blood and projecting voices into peoples minds. if im missing something please help me out because im lost.

best answer? we have no idea. Most of us have our little pet theories but none of them is incontrovertible proof of anything.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 23, 2008, 04:53:02 PM »
I don't know if anyone is still interested in the discussion from last week and last page about why Tevidian let Vin's mom go, but I found a pertinent quote:

MB 1, p. 604
“Tell me truthfully, Tevidian,” the Lord Ruler said, walking slowly toward the obligator.  “Have you ever bedded a skaa woman?”
   The obligator paused.  “I followed the law!  Each time, I had them slain afterward.”
   “You … lie,” the Lord Ruler said, as if surprised.  “You’re uncertain.”
   Tevidian was visibly shaking.  “I … I think I got them all, my lord.  There … there was one I may have been too lax with.  I didn’t know she was skaa at first.  The soldier I sent to kill her was too lenient, and he let her go.  But I found her, eventually.”
   “Tell me,” the Lord Ruler said.  “Did this woman bear any children?”
   The room fell silent.
   “Yes, my lord,” the high prelan said.

So this tells us that:
  • Tevidian didn't know at first that Vin's mother was skaa
  • Vin's mother convinced the soldier sent to kill her, not to do so (possibly through Hemalurgy?  Or Soothing?)
  • Tevidian eventually found (and presumably killed?) Vin's mom, presumably after the earring incident, when Reen and Vin left
  • Tevidian DID know about Vin's existence, presumably her mother told him right before he killed her
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 08:58:28 PM by SarahG »
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 23, 2008, 05:26:09 PM »
I don't know if anyone is still interested in the discussion from last week and last page about why Tevidian let Vin's mom go, but I found a pertinent quote:

MB 1, p. 604
“Tell me truthfully, Tevidian,” the Lord Ruler said, walking slowly toward the oblicator.  “Have you ever bedded a skaa woman?”
   The obligator paused.  “I followed the law!  Each time, I had them slain afterward.”
   Tevidian was visibly shaking.  “I … I think I got them all, my lord.  There … there was one I may have been too lax with.  I didn’t know she was skaa at first.  The soldier I sent to kill her was too lenient, and he let her go.  But I found her, eventually.”
   The room fell silent.

So this tells us that:
  • Vin's mother convinced the soldier sent to kill her, not to do so (possibly through Hemalurgy?  Or Soothing?)
  • Tevidian eventually found (and presumably killed?) Vin's mom, presumably after the earring incident, when Reen and Vin left
  • Tevidian DID know about Vin's existence, presumably right before he killed her
Thanks this is great.  I think Tevidian did kill Vin's mom.  I don't believe she would be important to the story, except for her granting Vin with Hemalurgic powers.

This also adds to the mounting evidence that Vin's mom was more than just Skaa and had some power of some kind.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 23, 2008, 11:27:43 PM »

MB 1, p. 604
“Tell me truthfully, Tevidian,” the Lord Ruler said, walking slowly toward the obligator.  “Have you ever bedded a skaa woman?”
   The room fell silent.

So this tells us that:
  • Tevidian DID know about Vin's existence, presumably her mother told him right before he killed her

Not only those but Vin's mom probably was part of a scam on a nobleman, that's why Tevidian didn't think she was skaa! Is it possible that one of Kell's crew could have known her?

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 24, 2008, 12:25:47 AM »
Something I noticed about Hemalurgy while reading through Mistborn: The Final Empire again.

On page 540-541 the book states . . .
Kelsier stumbled into the room.Vin followed, but she knew
what she’d see. The corpse lay near the center of the chamber,
flayed and dismembered, the head completely crushed. It was
barely recognizable as human. The walls were sprayed red.

Now, we know this was where Marsh was supposed to meet Kelsier, and that the Inquisitors got to Marsh and "recruited" him. Could it be that this corpse was the sacrifice used for Marsh? There was a lot of blood involved in this death, and the skull was crushed like what I'd assume would happen when one had two steel spikes driven through you into someone beneath you. The dismembering could have included the skull, perhaps, as a spike was driven through your spine. . .

The point of this is, I think when making an inquisitor, the spikes have to go through the sacrifice in the same spot as in the Inquisitor. So the brass spike of an inquisitor goes through the heart, another spike (I think it's steel) goes through the spine, and two steel spikes go through the eyes. Also, there's no spike in the stomach. Kell punched the Inquisitor there during his fight, and he would have felt the metal.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:23:52 AM by Czanos »
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 24, 2008, 02:38:32 AM »
i think most of us assumed it actually was one of Marsh's sacrifices, although the crushed skull is a good find.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 24, 2008, 03:17:12 AM »
Ah, as I was reading later, in the Epilogue Marsh confirms it was indeed "one of the" sacrifices. I assume it was at least the eye spike sacrifice, maybe more. . .
A man called Hope.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 24, 2008, 04:34:17 AM »
Ah, as I was reading later, in the Epilogue Marsh confirms it was indeed "one of the" sacrifices. I assume it was at least the eye spike sacrifice, maybe more. . .
If you look back through this thread we talk a LOT about how many sacrifices it might take in order to create an inquisitor.  We've discusses everywhere from 1-11.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 24, 2008, 04:37:33 AM »
I was aware of that, and I was putting forth that quote as a fact supporting more than one sacrifice.

I'm now thinking three sacrifices, myself. One for the chest group, one for the head group, one for the linchpin.
A man called Hope.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 24, 2008, 03:53:13 PM »
MB1, p.638
"If I may ask, Master Marsh," Sazed said, "Who was that corpse that Mistress Vin and Master Kelsier discovered at the Soothing station?"
Marsh looked back over the city.  "There were several corpses, actually.  The process to create a new Inquisitor is ... messy.  I'd rather not speak about it."

You may be right about the three sacrifices, Czanos, although usually I think of the word "several" meaning at least four.  However, there can't have been too many sacrifices, or Vin and Kelsier wouldn't have thought it was just one corpse.  For instance, I can't imagine 8 corpses, however dismembered, being mistaken for the remains of one man.

What I don't get is why the Inquisitors make Marsh into a new Inquisitor right there in the Soothing station.  Wouldn't it be hard to tie the live victims in place properly?  And if they can do it anywhere, then why do they need the special table described in the MB3 prologue?
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 24, 2008, 04:23:04 PM »
MB1, p.638
"If I may ask, Master Marsh," Sazed said, "Who was that corpse that Mistress Vin and Master Kelsier discovered at the Soothing station?"
Marsh looked back over the city.  "There were several corpses, actually.  The process to create a new Inquisitor is ... messy.  I'd rather not speak about it."

You may be right about the three sacrifices, Czanos, although usually I think of the word "several" meaning at least four.  However, there can't have been too many sacrifices, or Vin and Kelsier wouldn't have thought it was just one corpse.  For instance, I can't imagine 8 corpses, however dismembered, being mistaken for the remains of one man.

What I don't get is why the Inquisitors make Marsh into a new Inquisitor right there in the Soothing station.  Wouldn't it be hard to tie the live victims in place properly?  And if they can do it anywhere, then why do they need the special table described in the MB3 prologue?
Well they find the table's in WoA.  I'm just assuming that those tables are what is generally used, because they make it easier and they keep them at the Synod, there home and this was just one of those we need to do it now, don't worry about making it easy, let's just do it.  So basically I think the tables just make it easier.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。