Author Topic: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread  (Read 100253 times)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread
« Reply #210 on: June 06, 2008, 12:08:04 AM »
Well if we're going to be technical about it, The definition of acid varies from scientist to scientist, but the Arrhenius definition is a substance that dissociates in water to produce hydrogen ions, and the Bronsted-Lowry definition is any substance that loses a hydrogen ion in a chemical reaction. Acid doesn't necessarily dissolve things. It's mostly just the stronger ones that do.

If I recall correctly, saliva is just slightly acidic, but not enough to make much difference in the digestion process. That is done mostly by the enzymes that VegasDev was talking about. Anything left behind is digested by your stomach acid, which is very strong acid (pH = 1, Hydrochloric Acid).

But anyway....

Chaos, I think that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for that to be coincidental. Particularly if Brandon decided he wanted to plant a couple of false clues for us to find.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #211 on: June 06, 2008, 12:25:40 AM »
That would be positively depressing...
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 06, 2008, 12:29:41 AM »
I think I'd just laugh for about twenty minutes. Then I'd come here and laugh some more. Then I'd probably take a nap or something like that.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 06, 2008, 12:44:30 AM »
well, the only other people who can pierce copperclouds that we know of are hemalurgists, so i think its fair to say that is one of hemalurgy's benefits.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 06, 2008, 12:47:39 AM »
If I recall correctly, saliva is just slightly acidic, but not enough to make much difference in the digestion process. That is done mostly by the enzymes that VegasDev was talking about.

I was just joking, I'm a programmer not a scientist although I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Back in the day I did play alot of bar trivia and I seem to recall that saliva is more of an alkaline base, which is essentially the opposite of an acid.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 06, 2008, 01:00:47 AM »
lol yeah if u think about it, how fast do you think your saliva is gonna melt through a piece of solid metal?
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

tolbert the yeti

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 06, 2008, 01:31:49 AM »
well the hemalurgy seems proportionate to the amount of blood shed. Inquisitors increadable  ability to burn continually and very powerfully.) and vin unable to burn as powerfully. but she is more powerful when she draws upon the mists and can push metals in Lord Rulers body. and inquisitors all gain the abilities of an increadably powerful  mistborn. and due to Tensoon's reference to the powers mistborn of old being more powerful but diluted through the ages and seperated. then isn't it logical to asume that the mistpirit and his mists are pure and the more powerful and ruin's mists and hemalurgy are a less powerful counterfiet? just thinking...

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 06, 2008, 01:49:16 AM »
lol yeah if u think about it, how fast do you think your saliva is gonna melt through a piece of solid metal?

That depends. If it is acidic, it will actually do it quite a bit quicker than you're probably thinking, as acid reacts with metal. If it is a base, though, then it'll just sit in your mouth forever, which would allow Zane to do the atium thing. Most bases don't react with metals at all.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 06, 2008, 03:08:47 AM »
Anyway, this website says healthy saliva is slightly alkaline, pH 7.4.
http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/salivaphtest.htm
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 06, 2008, 03:39:18 AM »
In that case, yes, you would be able to stick a metal in your mouth and it wouldn't dissolve.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #220 on: June 06, 2008, 06:19:45 AM »
Maybe... maybe it doesn't matter whether the spit will dissolve an atium bead. Just saying... I think EUOL would fall out of his chair laughing if he read some of the things we look into his work for.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 06, 2008, 10:32:16 PM »
Even if it is possible, I don't think it's likely, seeing as Zane still talks with no difficulty, and without vin noting a large bead of atium in his mouth. And yes, I suspect Brandon would find many of our posts vastly amusing.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 06, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
I'm sure that Zane uses Atium beads because:
He has a bunch, we know this, why would he have it all if he didn;t need it
the times he's used atium he was going into the city for a  purpose that would require it(attacking Cett, and confronting Vin)
He's not afraid to keep metals in his stomach overnight, and he has lots of atium, why wouldn't he injest it, just in case.

As for Vin earring, I'm pretty sure it's more than a false lead, it has to have something to do with hemalurgy.

And the Atium spikes, what was said about them not being atium, because they didn't use them for funds, makes a lot of sense.  Remember, Marsh didn't start acting really funny until book 2, in book 1, he's still mostly himself, and he says the inquisitors didn't know where the atium was, I thihnk he would reveal if all the inquisitors had a huge atium spike in them, at least in book one.  I also think Elend and Vin would be very conscerned about learning about the inquisitors, because they woudl be some of the main threats to the throne.

I still the think the are mist born because of the metal ( the one elend ate), and that hemalurgy is something else, that gives them other powers.

CONTINUED FROM MISTS THREAD:
I'm just saying that they might have to be seekers before hand, we know they have all the powers of a mistborn afterward (even though they might come from a different source).  I just thought of this, The well beats with pulses, Ruin is in the well, Ruin speaks to hemalurgists, it seems Ruin is related to the pulses that seekers, mistborn, and inquisitors can hear.  Many of us thing that Hemalurgy has much to do with Ruin, so what if being a Seeker, and being able to hear the pulses is important in the ritual that makes inquisitors?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 11:31:01 PM by Comatose »
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 07, 2008, 01:15:49 AM »
Coma, where did Marsh say the Inquisitor's didn't know where the atium cache is? I don't recall that. Although it makes sense that he wouldn't. However, if Ruin is whispering in Marsh's head that he shouldn't trust Elend and Vin, he's not going to tell them if inquisitor's have an atium spike, because he'd be worried about them pulling his own in order to save their kingdom. Sacrifice for the greater good kind of thing. Marsh may not even be aware if he has an atium spike in him. For all we know, Inquisitors just get a bunch of spikes pounded into them. They may not know what these spikes are made from until the next ritual to make Inquisitors, which Marsh wouldn't have seen at that point. 

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 07, 2008, 02:07:01 AM »
just a quick side note: Do we know if Marsh is working with the other Inquisitors, or is he going solo?