Author Topic: Farewell Gary Gygax  (Read 2973 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 12:53:43 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

n8sumsion

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Farewell Gary Gygax
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 07:13:44 PM »
This made me very sad. I still remember buying the original boxed set when I was 8 years old, in preparation for spending a few weeks at my great-grandma's house over the summer. I spent much of that time pouring over the books learning how to play. This memory also made me realize that I have been playing role-playing games for 30 years now. Many of my best memories from "back in the day" are of me and my friends playing various games for hours on end. I doubt I'd be making games for a living now had I not been introduced to D&D at a young age.

Thanks for the good times, Gary!

GITMachine

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 04:50:02 AM »
Like you N8, I have been playing rpg's for over 30 years and, like you as well, some of my best memories are of late summer nights spent marathon-gaming with friends.
Years ago Gary had a website and public email address. I emailed him on a whim to thank him for the terrific gift he gave us with his game, and was fortunate enough to receive a response. For him to take time out of his schedule to respond is something I will never forget.
The man will be truly missed...but his legacy lives on in the hearts and minds of those who - armed with pencil, paper, dice, mountain dew and a few close friends - dare to venture into the seedier areas of Greyhawk after dark, or wander the hills along that nefarious borderland keep.  :)
RIP E. Gary Gygax (1938 - 2008)

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 01:37:53 AM »
Thanks, Gary!

I need to find time to play an RPG this weekend in honor of Gary.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 03:19:12 AM »
I know I don't post in here much, but he was one of the reasons that the entire fantasy genre took such a strong hold on me in my teenage years, and I am very grateful for that. He will be missed, and my thoughts are with his family, friends, and many fans.