Author Topic: Ruin and Preservation  (Read 61778 times)

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
Re: Ruin and Preservation
« Reply #165 on: July 11, 2008, 09:27:43 AM »
heh it's a very WoTish theory ;)
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 11, 2008, 04:51:10 PM »
The only major hole in this theory is the fact that Vin's earring seems to stop her from burning the mists. She doesn't have it when she fights TLR, but she is wearing it during MB2, when she cannot burn the mists. If the earring is hemalurgical, and burning mists is hemalurgical, why can she not do both at the same time?
Indeed. That is the question.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 11, 2008, 05:29:07 PM »
Ok, more on my Preservation is inside Vin theory:What if the thing that Ruin need now, the thing that he's loooking for, is Vin, only he doesn't know which human PReservation is hidden in.
Or what if Preservation is hidden inside a Feruchmist (Sazed), and that's why Ruin is having the inquisitors sacrifice keepers, so he can transfer preservation into a Inquisitor he can control, making him the ultimate power!
But he missed one keeper:  Sazed!

Just More Crazy theories from Comatose!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 11, 2008, 06:56:47 PM »
We do know that Ruin is changing the prophecies, but we don't know if Preservation can do it. Seems not. The Mist Spirit can cut things, but not change the words, and we don't even know if the Mist Spirit is Preservation. Still, while the prophecies are being changed, that's not to say they were just made up. So there probably is a prophecy about the Hero of Ages, and it still hasn't been fulfilled yet, because Ruin is getting in the way. And it could be the prophecy is to destroy Ruin. Or Preservation. Or balance the two.

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 11, 2008, 11:02:40 PM »
Or become the two...

Qarlin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 12, 2008, 01:17:49 AM »
That's odd.

I don't know if one person could contain within themselves two opposing forces like that. Of course, we don't know what Preservation is like, per say; we've only met the Mist Spirit, and we don't know for certain that it's Preservation. Of course, it would be a third entity in the story if it wasn't.

Three powers, two forces, one mist spirit.

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 12, 2008, 01:45:00 AM »
We could say 3 forces, ruin, preservation, and creation.

Qarlin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 12, 2008, 08:16:52 AM »
Except Brandon says there are only two.

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 12, 2008, 10:13:14 AM »
Shows how much attention I pay sometime :)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #174 on: July 13, 2008, 07:28:02 AM »
The only major hole in this theory is the fact that Vin's earring seems to stop her from burning the mists. She doesn't have it when she fights TLR, but she is wearing it during MB2, when she cannot burn the mists. If the earring is hemalurgical, and burning mists is hemalurgical, why can she not do both at the same time?
Indeed. That is the question.

Clearly, I've missed something. My theory was always that the mist-burning was Allomantic in nature (see "The Mists" for more info).

Hemalurgy is inherently different from mist-burning on a fundamental level. It has to be, because one attracts mists and the other repels it.

In fact, my theory further said that Hemalurgy made it impossible for Vin to burn the mists. Because her Hemalurgical earring pushes the mists slightly away, even when she does not know it, that little bit of resistance makes it impossible for her to actually burn the mists. If you think of mist-burning as Allomantic (which it should, logically speaking. She is essentially just creating another Allomantic metal operating under the rules of Allomancy. None of our observations apply about Hemalurgy--such as a blood sacrifice or metal inside of you--explain or otherwise make sense of the mist-burning. Thus, it is Allomantic.) skill, and her Hemalurgy as a hindrance, it makes perfect sense.

For the majority for MB1, she wears the earring. Kelsier even says it should be okay to wear, so she wears it for the majority of the book.

In MB2, we definitely know of it being worn.

The only two times we explicitly know of that she isn't wearing it is 1. During the fight with the Lord Ruler, and 2. At the Well of Ascension.

Now, this tells me something... if she can't do it during MB2, while she is wearing the earring, then during the LR fight, she is not wearing it, enabling her to use special Allomantic ability.

Problem solved.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 13, 2008, 02:21:46 PM »
the only thing is, it doesn't make sense for mist to be attracted when it is being burned. It DOES make sense for it to be dissapearing, melting away, or vanishing, which would look like it is being repelled. I have gone back and forth, back and forth on whether this is hemalurgy or allomancy, and there are arguments both ways. Right now my current opinion is that is is hemalurgy.

With the mist burning Vin seems to have discovered something not even Kelsier knew about, or any other mistborn for that matter. We already know she has hemalurgy. It would seem to be the logical explanation that the special power she found, which no other allomancer knows about, stems not from allomancy but another magic system.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 02:25:40 PM by Reaves »
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 13, 2008, 04:54:18 PM »
With the mist burning Vin seems to have discovered something not even Kelsier knew about, or any other mistborn for that matter. We already know she has hemalurgy. It would seem to be the logical explanation that the special power she found, which no other allomancer knows about, stems not from allomancy but another magic system.

Brandon has said only 3 magic systems right? That would be my only problem with that, and reading Chaos's post made me think; why would ruin want the earring out of Vin when she was so close to the Well?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #177 on: July 13, 2008, 05:18:02 PM »
the only thing is, it doesn't make sense for mist to be attracted when it is being burned. It DOES make sense for it to be dissapearing, melting away, or vanishing, which would look like it is being repelled. I have gone back and forth, back and forth on whether this is hemalurgy or allomancy, and there are arguments both ways. Right now my current opinion is that is is hemalurgy.

Brandon always said Vin was different.

However, if you read The Mists, my theory of Allomancy says the mists pulling towards you is what physically causes Allomancy. Allomancy, under this model, would be the mental art of just pulling the mists towards you, and the mists make it possible to burn the metals in this scenario.

There are some problems with that theory (like, how can you use Allomancy in the daytime), but that's my theory and I'm sticking with it.

But let us think of a vacuum sucking up something mist-like.

The vacuum pulls the mists towards it, and absorbs it. It doesn't push it back out, nor does it look anything like it. Vanishing mists would not look like repulsion in any manner of speaking... they just go toward Vin and then disappear, which you could only see if you were really paying attention.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 13, 2008, 10:10:21 PM »

Brandon always said Vin was different.

However, if you read The Mists, my theory of Allomancy says the mists pulling towards you is what physically causes Allomancy. Allomancy, under this model, would be the mental art of just pulling the mists towards you, and the mists make it possible to burn the metals in this scenario.

There are some problems with that theory (like, how can you use Allomancy in the daytime), but that's my theory and I'm sticking with it.

But let us think of a vacuum sucking up something mist-like.

The vacuum pulls the mists towards it, and absorbs it. It doesn't push it back out, nor does it look anything like it. Vanishing mists would not look like repulsion in any manner of speaking... they just go toward Vin and then disappear, which you could only see if you were really paying attention.
I definitely think that this could be how she burns Mists, but I HIGHLY doubt that is how metals are burned. .. . that theory has more holes than swiss cheese.  PLUS this is off topic.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #179 on: July 13, 2008, 11:19:10 PM »
That's good enough for me, lol.