Author Topic: Ruin and Preservation  (Read 62677 times)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: Ruin and Preservation
« Reply #345 on: August 23, 2008, 05:01:57 AM »
I would assume hemalurgy has a use for atium. But then again, I also think that the lord rulers atium bracers on his arms are the piercings of the hero, so...It makes sense. And remember that MB1 Prologue Epigraph? "They say I will hold the future of the world on my arms." Or something similar. Anyway, the important part is the on my arms. Maybe atium's hemalurgical power is like super-duper amazing.

Edit: Hmmmm....What if that's more literal than we were thinking? Burning atium through allomancy lets you see the future. Maybe the hemalurgical ability of atium is to see a really really long time into the future. Like...forever....I don't know. But it sounded really cool in my head a few minutes ago. And this should actually be in the hemalurgy thread....
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 05:03:49 AM by Andrew the Great »
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 23, 2008, 12:34:50 PM »
whoaa that is a really good idea. I always thought something about that sentence was awkward...i definitely think you are onto something.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 24, 2008, 01:34:38 AM »
But why does Brandon, in his annotation, say "instead," when referring to ripping of the bracers.  This makes it same like they are not hemalurgical, because someone using only hemalurgy would be killed by the back spike thing.
Although I admit, I hold the future on my arms, and having future seeing metal on ones arms is a bit coincidental.  Perhaps...
Anyways, I'm still thinking about this one, I'll get back to you.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Coof

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 25, 2008, 05:20:54 PM »
To me, Brandon says instead because if Marsh had ripped out those bracers, then TLR would have aged rapidly just like how Vin killed him.

I see holding the future in my arms as holding the fate of the world in my arms type of thing. Atium lets you see what is directly in front of you and what affects you, not a general what coming up in the future. I don't think there is enough evidence to say that Hemalurgy takes the power of Atium and makes it a lot more powerful than Allomancy. Hemalurgists do heal faster and they are more attuned to seeing metal traces, but I think that comes from prolonged use as indicated by Spook's enhanced senses in the preview chapter. Brandon does state that any Allomancy could learn to see as the Steel Inquisitors do. Maybe a Mistborn can learn to heal as fast as well.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 25, 2008, 07:38:55 PM »
To me, Brandon says instead because if Marsh had ripped out those bracers, then TLR would have aged rapidly just like how Vin killed him.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say.  Vin killed him by taking away his FERUCHEMY, and made him age rapidly, not take away his HEMALURGY, which would have had another effect.  Marsh tries to take away his hemalurgy by pulling out the lynch spike, however the Lord Ruler does not have one.  He's saying if marsh had ripped out the bracelets and taken out his feruchemy instead, his plan would have worked, because the lord ruler's power does not come only from hemalurgy.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Coof

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 25, 2008, 08:09:33 PM »
I agree with you.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 26, 2008, 12:28:54 AM »
TLR had probably assumed someone would try to take the Lynch pin at some point and put his in a different place.  So maybe there were a few different ways to kill him?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 26, 2008, 01:50:04 AM »
No I'm pretty sure what Brandon is saying is the only way to defeat him is the bracers.  That or overpowering him, which is pretty much impossible.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 26, 2008, 03:02:55 AM »
Coof, the reason that sentence is interpreted so much is because it says "They say I will hold the future of the entire world on my arms." Not in - on. So that's why the bracers came to mind. To be honest, I actually don't like my own idea here. It was just something crazy that came to me spur of the moment.

However, I think that the hemalurgical property of atium is gonna be something pretty awesome.

And see Coma's post above mine for my thoughts on the other discussion.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #354 on: August 28, 2008, 07:07:01 PM »
You know what I just thought? On October 14th and we finally get our hands on that book, it is going to take a colossal amount of willpower to not immediately flip to the Ars Arcanum in the back, which would probably have a list of powers for every metal.

...I don't think I have that kind of willpower...
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 28, 2008, 08:40:13 PM »
You know Chaos I think I have faith in your willpower. Im not basing that on how much I know you, Im basing it on the fact that we will all probably finish the book in a couple of hours due to all of this posting and anticipation. So in reality it wont be a long time from when you have the book to when you can safely read the Arcanum in the back
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #356 on: August 28, 2008, 08:44:32 PM »
The moment I get that book, I will probably skip eating, sleeping, or other bodily functions until its done! It will get done that same day!

That way, I can come back to the forums and either profess my insanity, or smile in glee that I was right about a lot of things.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 28, 2008, 10:19:50 PM »
That way, I can come back to the forums and either profess my insanity, or smile in glee that I was right about a lot of things.

More likely, a little of each.

On the willpower thing, though, I don't expect the exact uses of the last couple metals to be the biggest twist in the plot - and if it is, they won't be included in the Ars.  (Hmm, that last phrase sounded crude.)  So I won't really be tempted to skip to it first; my temptation might be to read the last couple pages and at least see who's still alive.  But I'm going to try really hard to resist.
He ate my horse.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 28, 2008, 11:39:55 PM »
Yeah, we'll all do a little of each I imagine.

And why resist the temptation? Brandon's not going to put anything that's going to majorly ruin the plot in the Ars Arcanum. But even if he did, I'll likely get the book and not even think about anything except just diving in. I'll probably be done in 5 or 6 hours at the most. Then it's back to here to post.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 29, 2008, 12:34:23 AM »
yeah, i don't think its gonna be too big of a deal to look at the Ars. (Gosh sarah i will never be able to say that again without thinking of you. And look, now ive just made it a whole lot worse.)
I never really bought into the idea that the last two metals were imbued with godlike power. Giving allomancy seems like power enough. Skipping to the back is not a temptation for me.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!