Author Topic: Ruin and Preservation  (Read 60239 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: Ruin and Preservation
« Reply #330 on: August 19, 2008, 04:20:44 AM »
Atium Malatium, and the 15 and 16 metals... they're the only ones made up, that has to be for a reason, what is it?  What do they all have in common besides being from the same category of metals?  Are they of value to Ruin and or Preservation? 
You bring up an interesting point, I hand't realized yet: Why do the Kandra want Atium?  They have no allomancy (not that we know of anyway), so why be paid in atium.
They must have worked up quite the stash through the years, maybe that's where all the Lord Ruler's atium went, the Kandra got to it first!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Czanos

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 19, 2008, 04:53:20 AM »
Actually, atium is the only metal we know of to be made up. (I think I remember malatium being part some real metal, meaning only the atium part of it was made up.) We don't know for sure what the 15th and 16th metals do, and the metal Elend ate could have been something like Uranium.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 19, 2008, 04:57:04 AM »
That could have some interesting effects...

Also, Chaos just PMed me and said he won't be posting for a few days, so before any of us start to wonder...
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 19, 2008, 05:08:23 AM »
Thanks for letting us know Chaos!  I should do that more often, before randomly disappearing for weeks at a time.
And yes, perhapps the 15th metal IS Uranium, and Allomancy is just a result of the radiation!  There we go, puzzle solved.  Let's all tuck in for a good night's rest! ;D.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 19, 2008, 07:41:34 AM »
Well if they had that much Atium they could BUY the Kandra's contracts from other people.  I don't ever remember the Kandra getting paid.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 19, 2008, 08:59:27 PM »
But they DO get payed.  It is stated frequently that Kandra are extremely expensive and their contracts have to be paid for with atium.  And the Kandra need the contracts for survival, as long as they are useful, the are not feared, and thus not exterminated.  When a contract expires, the Kandra seek another contract, they don't want to get out of their contracts.  Kelsier says he used most of his atium at the start of book one buying Ore Seur's contract.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 19, 2008, 09:09:27 PM »
Atium must be Kandra eggs which they are trying to get back. The female Kandra morphs into a gelatinous ooze, sinks down into the ground and leaves her geode for the male to inseminate. Man, I would hate to work in the pits....

Edit: BTW, this type of geniusness deserves another star.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 09:16:35 PM by VegasDev »
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 19, 2008, 09:12:11 PM »
And the mistborn...eating kandra eggs all the time.  Hmmm..
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 20, 2008, 01:25:08 AM »
And the ATium images are really just hallucinations, caused by having a mini Kandra parasite living in your stomach  ;D
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 20, 2008, 03:05:10 AM »
Thanks Coma, I somehow overlooked that. :/ ha ha.  ROFL.  Hey, did anyone else notice all of the Spam since we got hacked?  I hate people who hack just to piss people off.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 20, 2008, 03:26:25 AM »
I haven't noticed any spam yet.  Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.  I'll try harder.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 20, 2008, 03:27:49 AM »
Yeah, I hadn't seen any either. Where were you talking about, miyabi?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 20, 2008, 03:35:44 AM »
Not in the Sanderson threads.  They are in Site News and in the Eric James Stone forums.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 21, 2008, 03:30:52 PM »
Hmm...i had forgotten the kandra needed to be paid in atium. I think once we know the hemalurgical use for atium much will be revealed...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 22, 2008, 06:55:21 AM »
Does hemalurgy have a use for it?  We don't know any feruchemical use for aluminum duralumin or malatium.  Perhaps all the metals aren't the same.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier