Author Topic: Ruin and Preservation  (Read 62763 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: Ruin and Preservation
« Reply #315 on: August 18, 2008, 04:44:31 AM »
OK< I get it now, I don't think Ruin would want a body, I agree with you guys, it would weaken him, I think Preservation might be trapped in a body somewhere, explaining why his power is limited, and ruin wants to find this force and either control it or stop the PReservation body from causing trouble.
In Final Empire Prime, Sha, or the destruction force, seeks to bond with the Lord Ruler character because it's the only way it has a sentient mind, Ruin already has this, thus I see no point for it to want a body.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 18, 2008, 10:15:37 AM »
in the future you may want to add something like FINAL EMPIRE: PRIME SPOILERS. I probably would have read it anyway but we'll never know now will we... :-\
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 18, 2008, 03:53:23 PM »
Yeah, spoiler warnings are nice.  Even though I accidentally read a post once that had like the whole story in it. D: ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 18, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »
It's a mistake to draw any conclusions based on a Prime book. Yes, some things turn out the same, but more things don't.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 18, 2008, 07:18:13 PM »
I'm just drawing information from anywhere I can, and sorry about the spoiler warnings Reaves, they're just in the sample chapters on Brandon's site, that reference came from chapter one I believe, so I didn't think it would be a big deal, and it had already been mentioned on another thread I think, but sorry though if I ruined anything for you.  I'll be more careful next time.
And Ookla, I'm tempted to try once more to ignore your comments, because they really get me know where, are you saying I'm wrong, are you giving me advice because other things are changed, are you trying to turn me away from the right direction, I just can't decide.  It's really quite frustrating!!!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 18, 2008, 08:22:07 PM »
I'm not saying you're right or wrong, I'm just reminding everyone that the Prime books are a very unreliable source of conclusions about the non-Prime books. They may bring up interesting possibilities to consider, but drawing a conclusion because something was one way in a Prime book would be hasty.

Ruin is sentient...but Brandon might have thought up a different reason why he might want a body (or not).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 18, 2008, 08:58:49 PM »
Coma, when you figure out how to resist reading Ook's posts, please let me know, because they drive me crazy. ha ha.  I have NO idea what to think about them, it just makes theorizing even harder than normal. xP

I still think he needs a body to affect the physical world, because you can't affect a plain unless you exist in it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 18, 2008, 09:29:02 PM »
Is there any prior evidence in the Mistborn books of a "plane" system?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 18, 2008, 09:36:26 PM »
No, but it's something that a lot of metaphysical scientists theorize about and Brandon puts some reality into his books so I'm assuming that there is a potential for it to be what Ruin is missing is a doorway into the physical part of the world.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Czanos

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 18, 2008, 09:52:20 PM »
[sarcasm]

I've got it! Ruin is looking for the other atium mine so he can harvest all the atium and use it to buy all the kandra. Then he'll have all the kandra impersonate people who are in charge of those commanding koloss, then have them use the koloss to kill all the other humans. (Kandra prophecy, fulfilled.) He will then use his Steel Inquisitors to kill all the kandra, and then kill themselves. He will then be free of all those pesky things standing in the way of the deepness ravaging the world, and can live happily ever after!

[/sarcasm]  :)
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 18, 2008, 11:04:05 PM »
[sarcasm]

I've got it! Ruin is looking for the other atium mine so he can harvest all the atium and use it to buy all the kandra. Then he'll have all the kandra impersonate people who are in charge of those commanding koloss, then have them use the koloss to kill all the other humans. (Kandra prophecy, fulfilled.) He will then use his Steel Inquisitors to kill all the kandra, and then kill themselves. He will then be free of all those pesky things standing in the way of the deepness ravaging the world, and can live happily ever after!

[/sarcasm]  :)

That's so crazy it just might work.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 19, 2008, 12:16:02 AM »
For anyone who didn't know: In Mistborn Prime, there were two atium mines.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 19, 2008, 01:48:03 AM »
FIRST he tells us not to look too much into MBP NOW he tells us there were two mines. . . . GRRR! ha ha
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 19, 2008, 02:37:05 AM »
Exactly. :)

(Anyway, Czanos mentioned it first.)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #329 on: August 19, 2008, 03:39:31 AM »
I've said in a theory a while back (I believe in the "Gemmel" topic) that atium is very unique for it to not be very, very important in some way we have not touched upon yet--different from the clear Allomantic and economic importance. Atium, unlike every other metal discovered in the Mistborn universe, is only made from one place. It's the only metal that Brandon did not take from the real world. Kandra insist by being paid by atium only, despite there being no indication that they'd need the economic power from it in the first place (having no economy) or the Allomantic advantages (since they don't use Allomancy)--I believe it was touched on that in MB3, the reason for the kandra wanting atium would be explained.

Atium is important in some way. Wee, yet another plot point to discuss!
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.