Author Topic: Ruin and Preservation  (Read 60304 times)

Vintage

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Ruin and Preservation
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2008, 11:46:07 AM »
Kwan might also have been killed by his fellow feruchemist. Maybe his death just did not give Rashek any other alternative but to go to the well himself after killing Alendi. Rashek always seemed to me the 'not thinking' type, if you see what I mean. Everything in the arms, nothing in the head. So he must have felt lost and done the only think he could imagine, especially if he was given chase.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2008, 06:59:18 AM »
I don't know about that, Rashek strikes me as the Boromir character back then, except that he went through with it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe he wasn't being muscle-headed as overzealous, then in his fear and awe of the Well's power, he did a few stupid things. It's entirely possible that he did grow more intelligent, cunning and wiser in his thousand years, but the seed had to have been there from the start.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2008, 05:36:41 PM »
I didn't think he was stupid, just headstrong.  He was told to kill Alendi if he could not lead him  astray, so in that case he was following orders.  His decision to take the place of the Hero was another thing entirely.  I am sure he felt he had a rational reason to do it, but in the end he was driven by his need to dominate those he felt were less worthy.  I'm sure he felt contempt for his own people for their weakness in being fooled by Ruin.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2008, 10:33:59 PM »
I think I know how the lord ruler is using hemlalurgy to limit ruin's influence!:

Vin says that Kredik shaw is like a capstone for the well, and it's made of thousands of spike-like spires.  When I read that it got me thinking.  Why make Kredik Shaw have spikes, unless it's somehow related to hemalurgy?  My guess, is that the "spikes" that the towers make pierce the ground somehow, overtop of the well, and limit the influence of Ruin.   Sure there's no flesh involved, but that's jsut my guess to how the lord ruler limit's ruin's influence.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2008, 11:01:07 PM »
I suppose it's possible. My initial guess would be he built spires because.....he liked them! I don't see how this would work as being hemalurgy. I suppose that it is possible, Coma, but I doubt it.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2008, 02:53:55 PM »
Good theory, Comatose!  I don't necessarily agree with it, but I still like it.  I think TLR built Kredik Shaw to be intimidating.  More psychological warfare on the masses.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2008, 04:30:43 PM »
I think I know how the lord ruler is using hemlalurgy to limit ruin's influence!:

Vin says that Kredik shaw is like a capstone for the well, and it's made of thousands of spike-like spires.  When I read that it got me thinking.  Why make Kredik Shaw have spikes, unless it's somehow related to hemalurgy?  My guess, is that the "spikes" that the towers make pierce the ground somehow, overtop of the well, and limit the influence of Ruin.   Sure there's no flesh involved, but that's jsut my guess to how the lord ruler limit's ruin's influence.

Fascinating!  I never thought about the Kredik Shaw spires being significant before.  I believe they are made of several different metals, which would support your theory.
He ate my horse.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2008, 12:38:35 AM »
Well, just a thought, but when you're building things, you don't sit there and say, "It has to be 100% steel." It doesn't really matter if there are more than one metal. I still don't agree with it, but indeed, nice theory. I just don't see a real need for it in the plot, so why complicate things?
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2008, 08:02:59 PM »
Well, just a thought, but when you're building things, you don't sit there and say, "It has to be 100% steel."

No, but when you're reading a story and it mentions that the spires are of different metals, there's a chance the author meant something by it.  Not that I'm totally convinced by Comatose's theory, either.  As you say, simple is good.
He ate my horse.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2008, 08:28:31 PM »
A good author makes every single word count, and I think we can all agree that Brandon is a bloody brilliant author. Maybe Ruin transmits his control over radio waves? Then the metal would be disruptive... (jk of course)

If someone can cite the exact quote from the book that mentions them being of different metals, it would lend credibility to the argument that it's hemalurgically related. What if Kredik Shaw isn't just a palace, but a giant something or other, that has hemalurgical piercings? I'm being rather asinine today, aren't I?
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2008, 09:01:43 PM »
It allows the imagination to run wild, though.  If the room Rashek regenerated in was the exact center of Kredik Shaw, maybe he was able to use it as a way to channel energy to himself, like a giant antennae.  Or maybe he just needed a really big antennae so he could watch Saturday morning cartoons.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2008, 09:08:04 PM »
Yes, because TLR absolutely loves Iron Man... And the last thing we need is for our imaginations to run more wild, as it is, we're all already certifiable. Heck, you were killed by a time-traveling Mistborn, doesn't that say enough?

*Evil grin*

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2008, 09:29:16 PM »
I know, and Comatose is all "a time-traveling Mistborn would be awesome" and then writes RIP darxbane as almost an afterthought.  Anyway, someone should see if the number of spires is mentioned anywhere.  Wouldn't it be interesting if there were 11?

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2008, 10:22:17 PM »
Anyway, someone should see if the number of spires is mentioned anywhere.  Wouldn't it be interesting if there were 11?

I got the impression there were thousands - but I can't remember where I read it.  Nor can I find the place where it says the spires are different metals, although I was sure I'd read that as well.  Maybe I'm just imagining things.
He ate my horse.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2008, 11:34:09 PM »
I also remember there being thousands, but here's another possibility - What if they come in groups of 11? So it's not one huge hemalurgical amplifier, it's tons of smaller ones? I still don't really see the need, or feel that there is sufficient evidence given, but it's a possibility.

Also, darx, I seem to recall that you're referring to Chaos' post, not Coma's.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 12:04:37 AM by Andrew the Great »