Author Topic: Do Steel Inquistors need to burn metals? *Possible Spoilers*  (Read 17403 times)

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Do Steel Inquistors need to burn metals? *Possible Spoilers*
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2008, 04:55:29 PM »
Can we be sure that the Inquisitors motivations for taking over the ministry weren't influenced by Ruin?  It seems all too convenient that the one person in the world who had a shot at killing the Lord Ruler was the same person who could prove the Inq's should take over?  They brought TLR's killer right to him.  Besides that, they so conveniently chose Marsh, over all the other Acolytes that arrived with him, to become a new Inq.  Like the prophecies themselves, some things can be a little too perfect.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2008, 07:53:59 PM »
Interesting point, Darxbane.  I agree that the confluence of circumstances seems a bit too convenient - perhaps you're right that some or all of those events were influenced by Ruin.  However, I think that's a different thing than saying the Inquisitors are totally controlled by Ruin, i.e. dead, which was what I was arguing against.

In response to your question, we haven't seen any female inquisitors, but we (most likely) have seen female hemalurgists, which means that theoretically there could be female inquisitors. The reason there aren't any is likely due to gender discrimination.

Who's discriminating?  The Inquistors, because they don't want women amongst them?  Or Sanderson, because the Inqs are just too brutal and disgusting to be thought of as female?

I think it's interesting that even as the fantasy genre is developing more heroines, the worst of the bad guys are generally still guys.  Of course there are exceptions - Shelob and the female Forsaken come to mind - but I don't know of any female orcs or Uruk-Hai or Black Riders or grolm.  It's like monsters are just naturally thought of as male.

Not that I'm objecting to this tendency, I simply find it worth discussing.
He ate my horse.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2008, 08:26:09 PM »
There are no female Inquisitors because even the Lord Ruler couldn't control an Inquisitor with PMS.    :D
In all seriousness, the Lord Ruler is a might makes right person, so obviously he would require what he, being a man, considered the superior sex.  How surprised he must have been to be killed by a girl.  Not even a woman, but a girl!  If only real life was that poetic.

I don't believe that the Inq's are dead.  they are simply under Ruin's spell.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2008, 08:29:23 PM »
There are no female Inquisitors because even the Lord Ruler couldn't control an Inquisitor with PMS.    :D

Are you proposing a fourth magic system here, more powerful than the others?  :)
He ate my horse.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2008, 08:59:02 PM »
Possibly.  It could just be the maximum potential of Hemalurgy.    ;)  There's actually an Anime movie out there where the main Heroine gains godlike powers after she gets pregnant.  It's called Wicked City.  It's a bit graphic, but it has a cool storyline.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2008, 01:00:07 AM »
I believe that Ruin's power was greatly amplified after the Lord Ruler died. The Inquisitors would then not necessarily be under its control during the Lord Ruler's time, but after, which is exactly what we see. Kar does not mention any voices when we see his viewpoint.

Besides, why would the Lord Ruler create Hemalurgical beings like the Inquisitors if he knew that Ruin could control them so easily with Hemalurgy? The Lord Ruler likes control: he wouldn't relinquish it to Ruin so easily.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Isix

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2008, 05:45:21 AM »
In regards to what Sarah said about female villains, One only has to look at the Drow society in the forgotten realms books to understand that even female's can be just as brutal as men, in that series even more so.
But I do agree with Darxbane over the Lord Ruler Seeing men as the superior sex. One thing that I Enjoy about Mr. Sanderson's books so much, is how much Class struggle plays apart in his stories. So along with class struggle, one would assume Gender would be involved as well.
As far as the Inq's go though, I think He really did a good job at keeping us guessing as to what he is going to do next, seeing all of the ideas on this post really shows how much we all love the books and how imaginative a reader base Mr. Sanderson has. That alone would make me as an author really give is a fireball to talk about.
Confront you enemies, avoid them when you can. A gentleman will walk but never run.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2008, 05:06:25 PM »
In regards to what Sarah said about female villains, One only has to look at the Drow society in the forgotten realms books to understand that even female's can be just as brutal as men, in that series even more so.
But I do agree with Darxbane over the Lord Ruler Seeing men as the superior sex. One thing that I Enjoy about Mr. Sanderson's books so much, is how much Class struggle plays apart in his stories. So along with class struggle, one would assume Gender would be involved as well.

Excellent points.  I haven't read the forgotten realms series, so I'll take your word for it.  I guess what I meant was that there are some female villains - Shan Elariel, Semirhage, Mohgedien, Galina - who can be very cruel, sadistic, and ruthless but who still look like humans.  But we don't as often see female monsters - ugly, deformed, twisted bodies like trollocs or orcs or Inquisitors.
He ate my horse.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2008, 06:32:28 PM »
Yeah!  We need more twisted nasty chicks in fantasy!  Why is it always the males that get spikes through their eyes?  There are female Trollocs, but they don't fight.  We are straying off topic, but I don't think there are too many more points we can make on this thread, so I don't mind

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2008, 04:00:56 AM »
* hands a kleenex to poor Darxbane *

Well... we have a female vilain that could have been maybe some kind of hemalurgist in Vin's mom. Try to picture her very ugly - Vin looks like her father  ;D

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2008, 05:46:45 PM »
Small consolation, although Greek mythology had plenty of evil female monsters in it.  It's hard to top Medusa and the Sirens (why does that sound like a singing group?) :P

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2008, 06:42:32 AM »
Unless I'm remembering completely wrong, it kind of is a singing group. I just don't know how well they chose their lead singer.....
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Isix

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2008, 07:12:42 AM »
wasn't Whitney Houston one of the sirens? ???
Confront you enemies, avoid them when you can. A gentleman will walk but never run.

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2008, 07:16:52 PM »
 ;D Well of course ! The Sirens were the very favorite of female singers group in the very old days. It is said that a certain Ulysse played a trick to be able to listen to them for free !

But this topic is getting way off...

So, do Inquisitors need to burn metals ?

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2008, 02:25:25 AM »
Here's another piece:

MB1 p60

Nothing I've learned about Allomancy has ever provided an explanation for how those creatures keep living

Kell says that when he was first talking with Vin, in reference to the spikes in their eyes.

I think there are 2 significant pieces of information from this.  The first, is that it implies that they do have a power beyond allomancy, which we now know of (Hemalurgy).

The second, is that I think he's implying that they use Allomancy.  Yes, he might not know for sure, but he does seem to know quite a bit about them, and he has seen them fight multiple times.  It's possible he says this because he has seen them burn metals.