Author Topic: Books to Films.....  (Read 2828 times)

kaiyatomiko

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Books to Films.....
« on: February 14, 2008, 12:39:56 AM »
Has anyone read any books that were really good and always wanted to see it on the screen?
For me I'd love to see Robert Jordans books made into films and/or the different Anne McCaffrey books.
Do you have a particular book you'd like to see or do you think all books should be kept as books and not made into films?
Do you think there's a particular genre of book that works better as a film or do you think all can get good results on the big screen.

Personally I find that Fantasy books are great as films but film-makers have the tendancy to cut out huge chunks and re-order everything! :(

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
Re: Books to Films.....
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 03:03:50 PM »
While I have to agree that I would love to see Robert Jordans WoT on the screen I am a little wary. I believe that good books can become good movies. Take for example the Lord of the Rings books and movies. Although, you are correct that large chunks are taking out in order to keep the time of the movie manageable. Also, it's nearly impossible for film to recreate those scenes in books where you get incite into what a character is thinking. By not being able to bring that to the screen you lose a whole lot of important character depth....

I personally think that the WoT would work better as a series on a network such as HBO. Which does a really good job with their originally series such as Sopranos and Rome. Making it a long running series gives you more time to get in as much as possible as opposed to a movie in which you get three hours. Even if you made a trilogie out of it you still only get nine hours. However, if you make it a series that last for say six years, at twelve episodes a year, and each an hour long you get 72 hours. Given the size and depth of the WoT series I think that that would be the best option.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 03:46:16 AM »
I think the Pern books by Anne McCaffery would be cool to see on the big screen.  Looks of cool special effects with the dragons, and Thread, and between.

However, I am very leary about any movie based from a book.  In my opinion, the track record of such endeavors hasn't been very good.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Felastizairu

• Level 3
  • Defies gravity, and therefore physics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 07:19:30 AM »
While I'd love to see many, many books turned into movies, I'm always afraid that the movie will slaughter the book.  That's the catch with movies.  There are very few book-to-movie transitions that I felt did the book justice.

That being said, I'd say T.A. Barron's Lost Years of Merlin series. 
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
~Thomas

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 11:17:29 AM »
Well, my favourite movie adaptation of a book was the Studio Ghibli take on the book Howl's Moving Castle by Dianna Wynne Jones... I think there would be nice potential for others of her books...

Speaking of which, when people are thinking along this topic:

Do you think the film would be better as a Live-action film or Animated/CG?
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 06:15:00 AM »
Well, my favourite movie adaptation of a book was the Studio Ghibli take on the book Howl's Moving Castle by Dianna Wynne Jones... I think there would be nice potential for others of her books...

Yes, but the movie and book had nothing to do with each other.  Not that I'm disagreeing with you, I own both and have watched/read each more times that I can count (or would admit).  I'm just saying that the two really had nothing to do with each other on the whole.  I'm wondering how she feels about what they did to her story, and if that would influence her decision to let them make more of her stories into movies.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 12:08:55 PM »

Yes, but the movie and book had nothing to do with each other.  Not that I'm disagreeing with you, I own both and have watched/read each more times that I can count (or would admit).  I'm just saying that the two really had nothing to do with each other on the whole.  I'm wondering how she feels about what they did to her story, and if that would influence her decision to let them make more of her stories into movies.

I like the way the book and film of that worked, I mean, they're just differnent flavours of the same theme, and the movie was created in a different culture, nearly twenty years after the book - I fully am appreciative of this extra, expanded context it adds to it.

I thought it added a very interesting flavour to it - the book of howl's moving castle was a little higgildy-piggildy so it would always have had to be streamlined along some line to make a nice, tight movie (IMO).

Both the book and movie increase my apprieciation of eachother though - in my opion that's the best way for it to be. I don't think I would like them both if the movie was just a play by play exactly of the book. Howl's moving castle was a good and very enjoyable look, but the film really took it to a different place.
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.