Author Topic: A different way around atium [spoilers] and a question about atium  (Read 7114 times)

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: A different way around atium [spoilers] and a question about atium
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 08:46:11 PM »
Why would Vin not be Badass for exploiting an enemy's weakness? Her plan was brilliant; she used his reaction to see her own potential strike.  If he wasn't so certain he would win he may not have left himself so open. Power is a small part of being a great warrior.  Intelligence, cunning, and even luck are also important.  Her ability to think and reason under the strain of almost certain death is a characteristic that very few people possess.  She didn't find a way around Atium, per se, she was simply able to take advantage of an opponent who felt invincible.  It's actually a sort of side effect of Atium that even Vin admits she feels while burning it. 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 10:23:29 PM »
good point but it still doesn't answer the question of whether its a weakness of atium or just of Zane's character. maybe just a combination of both. either way i don't see a scene in mb3 where Ham beats a mistborn burning atium. in my opinion he's dead.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 03:42:01 PM »
I agree, Ham has no chance unless he gets extremely lucky.  As for the question, I think we are looking at it the wrong way.  Unless a power makes you literally invincible, you can die if you are careless.  Atium grants a fantastic, almost god-like ability to anticipate and react to attacks, but it is still only as powerful as the person who uses it.  It was not Atium's "fault" that Zane lost.  He could have waited longer to block her attacks, but instead he casually moved to intercept, giving Vin time to see her own move and change it mid-swing.  He could also have simply killed her the moment she  said no to him, instead of trying to make her suffer first.  Zane's death is his own fault.

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 04:55:35 AM »
Zane's death is his own fault.

i definately agree. but i think Vin still did find a big weakness in Atium, or rather in the way people use it against her. she found a way to duplicate her shadow and therefore gained the advantage. ham mentions that its best to surprise an atium burner. what better way then adding a second shadow when it's least expected. imo then, burning pewter and duralumin is just a waste of your pewter. i mean a thug like Ham could theoretically do the same thing that Vin did and without the advent of duralumin. so if someone else managed to figure out what Vin did, then a mistborn with Atium could be beaten by a regular misting. unless the mistborn knew of the weakness and began to be more careful when burning Atium aware that the single shadow may not be the only possibility...

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 08:25:12 PM »
Zane did see two shadows.  The second one appeared as he was dodging the first.  I don't remember if he just chose wrong or was surprised to see two at the same time, but either way, he did still see what she was going to do.  I still don't think this flaw is in Atium itself.  What Vin does is not easy.  It is quite hard to not think about what you are going to do next in a fight.  Plus, had Zane survived, he would not be fooled by that trick again.  A flaw is something you can repeatedly exploit.  Vin will never fall for this trick because she is aware of it.

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 10:48:43 PM »
i guess that makes it a quirk rather than an actual weakness. but its a quirk that nobody but vin and i guess TenSoon know about. so really i guess its about exploiting a burner's ignorance of the quirk rather than the person or the atium.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 11:14:04 PM »
Vin's so smart!  She's aways coming up with little ideas like that.  ;D
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 05:20:54 AM »
Vin's so smart! She's aways coming up with little ideas like that. ;D

Agreed mate.  :)

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 03:31:54 PM »
Vin's so smart! She's aways coming up with little ideas like that. ;D

It's uncanny, even.  Sounds familiar, too.  Kwaan had similar things to say about Alendi's exploits.

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 06:33:58 PM »
lol we're back to this question again. maybe you should make a new thread darxbane.  :)

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 09:35:39 PM »
I just did.  Feel free to fire away at it.  As for this thread.  Is there anything that we missed?  I think we've pretty much covered this topic.  I see we are beginning to have the same discussions in different posts, which could get confusing.  Should we request that this topic be closed?

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 12:00:05 AM »
i think we should. lol i've noticed i've been arguing different points of hemallurgy in several threads at this point. :P

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2008, 01:37:58 AM »
Hemlurgy, Alendi, Vin, and the fifteenth metal, they seem to be working their way into multiple threads.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier