Author Topic: Random career question......  (Read 5333 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Random career question......
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 11:33:18 PM »
1. What did you want to be when you were little?
Depends on when.  At various times:  A Chemist, an Architect, a Computer Programmer.  I'm not entirely sure what else.  Ironically, I ended up in English, not in the Sciences.
2. What do you want to be? (Doesn't have to be what you're doing right now)
Rich.  =þ  No, that's mostly a joke.  I want to write (be a writer, etc.).  I'm considering getting a PhD in Norman History or Middle English, though, and doing the professor thing.  I've also been thinking that I'd actually probably enjoy a job in the financial sector.  I also have some bizarre aspirations to act or voice act.
3. What are you doing?
Masters in Writing, teaching Composition.
4. What are you going to be? (For those studying for a certain career or changing imminently)
One of the following:  Writer/Editor/Professor of Middle English or Norman History.  Maybe something else.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:35:28 PM by The Jade Knight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

n8sumsion

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Random career question......
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 05:16:16 PM »
I guess I'll give this question a go...

1. What did I want to be when I was little?
Well, aside from a super-hero or an X-Wing pilot, I really wanted to be an astronaut. My grandfather worked for NASA and I thought that would be really cool.

When I finally got to college, I thought I really wanted to be an architect (my great-uncle who was an architect drove this awesome Jaguar XKE convertible, and I wanted one of those too). Then I took some mechanical drafting classes and decided that wasn't for me.

So then I switched to being an English Major, and did that for nearly 2 years. Now, truly no offense is intended to any English Majors in the forums, but I had an epiphany one day in class. I was looking around at the students in whatever literature class I was attending, and they were spouting off their interpretations of what such-and-such author intended his story to mean, and most were pretentiously irritating, and I realized that, when I graduated with my degree, these were going to be my peers in the workforce. And I decided I couldn't tolerate that. So I dropped out and redirected myself again...

I finally decided on Graphic Design and got myself in the video game industry.

2. What do Iwant to be?
I'm doing what I want to be doing, making video games. I eventually hope to get enough willpower and motivation in me to sit down, write a book and get it published.

3. What am I doing?
Designing video games for Walt Disney.

4. What am I going to be?
Hopefully, I'll do this for some time to come. You never know in this industry, it's a little volatile, but I want to keep doing what I'm doing for as long as I can.