Author Topic: Saze and Sazed  (Read 2588 times)

Craysh

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Saze and Sazed
« on: February 09, 2008, 11:59:15 AM »
Why are the names interchanged? At first I thought only Kelsier called him Saze as a short nickname but it seems like Brandon couldn't pick which way he wanted to go with it.

cloversprite

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Boundless
Re: Saze and Sazed
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 06:26:16 PM »
I always just figured Saze was a nickname, and never gave much thought to how they're interchanged. 
I could not love thee, dear, so much
loved I not honor more.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 08:39:19 PM »
It's just a nickname, like Kel and El and Dox and Clubs and Spook and Breeze and Ham. Everyone (except Vin?) has a nickname.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 04:03:33 AM »
Vin has a nickname, in a way.  Valette.  Part of my vision for this series was to get across the 'heist' feel to the book by giving everyone in the crew or related to the crew two names--their real name and their nickname. 

Kelsier:  Kel
Dockson: Dox
Sazed:  Saze  (I say his name SAY-zed, by the way.  A lot of people say SAH-zed, which is just fine--only the nickname doesn't work as well.)
Elend: El (I say EHL-end, not EEL-end. So, his nickname is pronounced simply like the letter L.)
Ladrian: Breeze
Hammond:  Ham
Cladent: Clubs
Lestibournes: Spook
Marsh: Ironeyes
Vin: Valette (Doesn't work as well, I know, but I liked her having another name to keep on theme.)
OreSeur: Lord Renoux
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 05:34:52 AM »
Hey, thanks for mentioning the pronunciation of Sazed. I had a big debate about that with my sister. Now I can prove I was right....  ;D
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift