Author Topic: Theory on why Vin is so powerful *spoilers*  (Read 14611 times)

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Theory on why Vin is so powerful *spoilers*
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2008, 05:09:25 PM »
I agree with Coma on this one.  We don't know where the piercings were, but they were probably small amounts of metal, as they appeared to be more ritualistic than anything else.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2008, 12:07:31 AM »
Also, from what we've seen, all Hemalurgists are also Allomancers, or have the abilities of one, and Allomancy didn't come until after.  I assume that hemalurgy emerged around the same time as well.  I'm sure the piercings have some significance, and it might have something to do with hemalurgy, but I don't think it is in the sense we know it as.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2008, 12:38:23 AM »
ok, maybe inquisitor was the wrong word. i agree that alendi probably didn't have eye spikes, but that doesn't mean he wasn't like zane and had spikes somewhere else. and just because Ruin wasn't directly influencing him doesn't mean he didn't use hemalurgy. he did hear the poundings of the well like vin did, and he didn't have allomancy to use bronze to do that. and i think it has been accepted that vin's earring is hemalurgic, but she doesn't hear voices, well, not anymore. the voice of reen is almost nonexistant in WoA.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2008, 03:53:35 AM »
and since Kwann was hoping for a miracle when sending Rashek to mislead or otherwise kill Alendi i think its safe to assume he had some kind of power. i mean why would a feruchemist have any problems with a regular guy or even several regular men. connect that with Alendi's ritual piercings of the Hero and i think its safe to assume he's a hemallurgist. those two pieces of information coming from the same source hardly seems like a coincidence.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2008, 08:57:33 PM »
All excellent points, people.  What if there was only Hemallurgy and Feruchemy? Alendi was Khlennium, who oppressed the Terris people.  How could they oppress people with Feruchemical powers without a power of their own?

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2008, 10:46:24 PM »
my point exactly. although i have to wonder what kind of power is granted to a hemallurgist by himself. i mean the only ones we have seen are inqs and probably vin and then zane. they were all also allomancers mainly. so what kind of power would they have without allomancy i wonder?

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2008, 11:20:58 PM »
You guys are forgetting something though, the piercing Alendi has aren't a Khlennium tradition, they're Terris.  The Terris World Bringers decided he was the Hero, and then gave him the piercings to mark him.  That's why Rashek thinks he wears the piercings unjustly, he thinks a Terrisman should be wearing them, and why would Rashek think a Terris person should wear Khlennium jewelery when he hate Khlennium.  I agree that the piercings (both Alendi's and Vin's) probably help them hear the well of ascension, and have something to do with the well spirit.  For all I know they could be hemalurgy.  But we don't know for sure.  I don't think Alendi had inquisitor of any kind, I think his piercings were external because they marked him as the hero.  I also agree that he must have had some kind of power, to be competent enough for Kwaan to be worried, but I'm not sure it's Hemalurgy.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2008, 05:20:08 AM »
yes but we know from Vin that a hemallurgic piercing doesn't have to be internal like the inquisitors. they can be something decorative and removable like an earring. so the piercings can be distinctive while still being hemallurgic. and they can also be something seperate from any other culture. they probably weren't Terris piercings or Khlennium piercings. they would likely be seperate from any culture in order to make them even more distinct.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2008, 02:26:33 PM »
Hmmm, I know that Kwaan said that Alendi survived assassins and a bunch of other things. It's not too unlikely that he had some special ability of his own.

Of course, that would mean that Hemalurgy existed before the Ascension. That could have profound ramifications all around.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2008, 02:47:03 PM »
Agreed.  He seemed to be pretty badass.  Two points: 
        Shost, one thing we do know about Inq's is that few, if any, were Mistborn before being changed.  The process of Hemallurgy gave them Mistborn level abilities, and even enhanced healing and metal "seeing" abilities.  I bet it is even possible that some Inq's may not have even been Mistings beforehand.  My second point is that the Worldbringers were convinced by Kwaan that Alendi was the Hero.  It was also Kwaan who realized how perfectly he fit the prophecy; he was the first to realize that something was wrong, that his people were being manipulated to a very dangerous end.  Rashek could just have been jealous that an outsider had yet another feature that made him the Hero, especially when we now know that Rashek was told by Kwaan that they were all wrong about him.  He may even have believed that the Khlennium were responsible for manipulating the Terris into believing Alendi was the hero.  I just realized that my perspective of Rashek (pre-Lord Ruler)  may have changed a little bit.  I still think he is bad, but his anger may have been more than just petty jealousy and bigotry.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2008, 05:42:50 PM »
I think that Rashek's going to be the person who writes the epigraphs in MB3, just for that reason.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2008, 06:24:10 PM »
i agree with all but one point darxbane. i don't think it was the process of hemallurgy that gave them the powers of a mistborn. i think its the metal that elend ate that did it. although where they got so much of it when the swelled their ranks at the conventicle is beyond me.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2008, 01:48:59 AM »
Do we know they swelled their ranks???  I know it's hinted at, but I thought it was just a thought on Sazed's part.  He also puts it out of his mind after, however this could be true.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2008, 06:55:45 PM »
i think its likely considering that about half their numbers were killed by marsh  at the end of mb1. i figure they would want more and they don't have to worry about them being loyal to the lord ruler anymore so they could just take a bunch of warriors and sacrifice a bunch of people and presto...a small army of inqs.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2008, 07:59:42 PM »
But then why, like Sazed said, wouldn't they use the slaves for inquisitors instead of killing them all.  I know the blood sacrifice thing, but certainly they wouldn't need al of them, I'm guessing they'd need one secrifice for each spike.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier