Author Topic: Theory on why Vin is so powerful *spoilers*  (Read 14616 times)

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Theory on why Vin is so powerful *spoilers*
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 07:36:32 PM »
I do like the blood reference, Hemoglobin is most likely what the inquisitors use to see living things.  However I don't believe that people are born as Hemalurgists, but rather made.  It does take some type of human sacrifice in order to empower the metals that are placed in the body, so I think it is more than just blood that is needed.  Marsh said in book one that it takes several sacrifices to make one inquisitor ( I am guessing one for each spike).  It is also interesting that each spike is made up of a different metal.  If Vin's earring is made of bronze (or whatever metal Seekers use), then that might explain why she can pierce copper clouds; she could use both magics together.   I wonder what Zane's spike was made of, and who put it there?  This may be the first time in my life I am looking forward to autumn.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2008, 03:56:06 AM »
right, i forgot about that. that each of the spikes is a different metal. but i doubt that her bronze earring has to do with copperclouds. as has been said before, these 3 magic systems are similar but they maintain their differences. i think it would be a bit too convienient if bronze has to do with copperclouds in hemalurgy.

with regards to the hemoglobin thing, i think it could have to do with hemalurgy, but i doubt that brandon would go that into the science that much. we are talking about a very scientifically suppressed society here.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2008, 04:13:18 PM »
That is true, but Hemallurgy and Allomancy could be more similar to each other than to Feruchemy.  Inquisitors have the exact same powers as Mistborn, and I feel it has to be due to the metals implanted within them.  Why else would each spike be made of a different metal?  I suppose it could just be a way to enhance and/or allow the ability to burn different metals (most, if not all,  Inquisitors were Mistings before being converted).    As for Hemoglobin, I used that word because that is what we know it to be (and because Cosmic_AC reminded me about it in his previous post).  The Inquisitors would just know there is a metal in all humans and animals which allows the Inq's to "See" them.

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2008, 12:41:45 AM »
i think vin being a hemallurgist is a pretty strong point. the fact that the well spirit (or whatever it is) is able to "speak" to people with a spike in them is too strong to overlook. i'm wondering if maybe the voice of Reen in Vin's head is really the well spirit.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 03:51:36 PM »
Interesting idea, Shost.  At the very least, her ability to "feel" the Well pulsing, even when she is not burning bronze, supports this theory.  I would also not be the least bit surprised if she was "helped" with some of her great discoveries,  such as the way she beats Atium. 

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2008, 07:46:30 PM »
This talk of Hemalurgy is fascinating. We gotta get this theory down so we can unlock yet another part of MB3. The Hemaglobin thing is brilliant, and I think in MB1 when you get Kar's perspective for a short time in Chapter 38 before Vin enters, they see by seeing the tiny little portions of metal in people, so this Hemaglobin thing has definite merit.

But, getting back to the topic at hand. If the earring provides Hemalurgic powers, then we are missing something very important. Vin was able to channel the mists AFTER she lost the earring. Perhaps, as the Steel Inquisitors push the mists away, the mists have wanted to come inside Vin the entire time, but was just repelled because of her Hemalurgic earring.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2008, 11:15:37 PM »
yes. this fact was actually talked about earlier in this thread.

with regards to the well spirit influencing Vin as it does others, it's possible, but i'm not so sure.  Reen's voice was really predominant in the first book, but in the second, when the Well seems to be getting stronger, it is virtually non-existant.  This voice could still be the Well, there would just have to be an explanation for why she hasn't been hearing it lately.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2008, 12:51:35 AM »
thats a good point plasman but i could just be possible that the well spirit isn't talking. but keep in mind this is just a theory. like i'm wondering if Vin has to have her earring (her 'spike' if you will)  in her ear to hear the well spirit. if she does then i think that Reen is just Vin's subconcious because it seems to me that she was hearing Reens voice at the beginning of mb1 while she was in Camon's lair and before she had gone to fetch the earring out of her room.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2008, 05:06:59 PM »
I was rereading the log book entries in book one, and something jumped out at me.  In one of the entreis Alendi states that Rashek think that "I wear the piercing of the hero unjustly"  Alendi has peircings that mark him as a hero, vin's mother stabs an earing into her ear and calls her a queen, coincidence??

Also in the log book, Alendi sees a lake that has a metalic sheen, and when Fedik, his friend goes to drink form it, the mist spirit attacks him,  could this be where the metal that makes allomancers comes from?  Just my two cents.

Sorry if I spelled coincidence wrong.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2008, 06:17:11 PM »
That is an awesome find!  That's why Alendi can "feel" the well's pulsing!  More evidence of Hemalurgy's role in this book.  We need to add this to the Hemalurgy thread.  :D

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2008, 06:54:57 PM »
=O!

Spectacular... That can have some very interesting ramifications. If Ruin can "edit" the Terris prophecies, he perhaps could manipulate them to state that the Hero needed piercings.

So Ruin could manipulate Alendi himself. I need to take another look at those logbook entries...
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2008, 10:37:06 PM »
I wasn't sure if Alendi was being affected by Ruin, however, perhaps the earings have something to do with power.  From what we know Alend didn't have allomancy, but Kwaan thought even a feruchemist like Rashek would have trouble defeating him.  He said he was hoping for a miracle.

(Sorry about that typo about Alendi having Allomancy, it didn't make much sense, it's fixed now.)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 08:09:48 PM by Comatose »
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2008, 05:02:28 PM »
perhaps it was a known fact that Alendi was some kind of hemallurgist. as far as we know it wasn't until after Rashek's Ascension that allomancy first appeared. so it seems unlikely that Alendi was an allomancer. and he was ignorant of feruchemy before the packmen like Rashek. which seems to leave only hemallurgy if we were to assume that he has some sort of magic to be able to rival Rashek in a battle.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2008, 11:48:46 PM »
Alendi had some kind of hemalurgic piercing!  that is awesome.  don't assume that they were just earrings however.  for all we know Alendi could have been the first steel inquisitor, so to speak (except without allomancy).  maybe that is where the lord ruler got the idea.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2008, 12:01:32 AM »
I don't think he was an inquisitor, for one thing, he describes things too much to have had eye spikes, and from what we know about the conventical, Inquisitors aren't much into aesthetics, but Alendi often describes the terrain.  It's true the piercings could have something to do with hemalurgy, but I think his piercings were more like Vin's than the spikes of the inquisitors.  And from what we know of the diary, he mentioned nothing about hearing voices, so it seems unlikely Ruin was influencing him directly.   
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier