Author Topic: Theory on why Vin is so powerful *spoilers*  (Read 14609 times)

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Theory on why Vin is so powerful *spoilers*
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 06:32:37 PM »
You should have just said your keyboard doesn't have a "oo" button, just an "o".
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 08:38:45 PM »
^^ good one, I'm not so quick on the come backs though. Next time I'll use that one. ;)

cloversprite

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Boundless
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 01:45:45 AM »
Just a thought, but I wonder if being pierced w/something (vin's earring, the inquisitor's spikes, etc) has anything to do with being able to draw power from the mist.  It seems to react differently to Vin, Zane, and the inquisitors...maybe that's just happenstance, but maybe not. 
I could not love thee, dear, so much
loved I not honor more.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 05:57:02 AM »
alright, so after re-reading the ending of MB1, i'd like to revise my theory.

I was reading the end where vin is fighting the lord ruler and during the fight there is a point where he is Pushing her around and he pushes her ear ring out of her ear.  it is only after this that vin is able to draw on the mists, a feat which she has never repeated since.  this pretty much invalidates my original theory since she was only able to perfom this action, the most powerful thing she's ever done without duralumin, when she was not wearing her ear ring.

so this leads me to my second theory.  the ear ring is still an example of hemalurgy, only it is opposite of the inquisitors.  it acts to somewhat restrain her power where the inquisitors power is amplified.  this once again leaves the origins of her power a mystery, but i think i like this better because first, it doesn't conflict with anything from the book (i think), and second, it makes sense that if there is a real terris prophesy about a hero of ages, and vin is it, that the Well Spirit would try its best to limit her power enough such that she wasn't as much of a threat but that it could use her to set itself free.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

mists59

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 03:15:11 PM »
i like that idea. i read the final empire again and also noted that the ear ring was removed in the battle with the lord ruler. cant wait to find out more about hemalurgy and how it works.

Roll on October!!!  :D
There's always another Secret.

Survivors Apostale

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 01:17:02 AM »
I like the theroy alot, and mostly agree with it as being a very, very good plot twist if ever there comes one. The earring and mother sob story will come back by the end no matter what...

.. But for arguments sake, hows this. It was touched apon in the first book and again in the second book when Vin is talking to TenSoon about how to control Kandra. He say's somthing to the effect that her powers are so strong because of her none diluted blood line, which stemmed from the high prelen, who would have been breed for the position. That with durilum (spelled incorectly of course) made her able to push through the years, to back were allomancy was more pure. Unlike with Keslier who just got very lucky with his heritage, and through a couple of years of practice and dedication manifested his power through force of will and skill, not brute force. Because, while you may say Vin was more powerful, Keslier had the fienesse (Spelled wrong as well) that one could only dream of having.

Again, I think I like your theroy better. But the Idea that Vin has the power because she is been singled out doesn't sit well with me. I like the idea that others could be as strong as her, but are just as rare because of the delution in the blood lines.

ps. Elend will be the strongest of all if my theroy holds true, for the strongest allomanceirs would have been the ones created directly from the source (the Well) and that would make Elend one of those. As I said if my theroy holds true then he will be the most powerful Allomancer to walk The Final Empire.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 03:10:13 AM »
you know what i'm actually glad you brought that up.  i think the fact that elend is now a mistborn has been largely overlooked by a lot of people, which is strange because it will undoubtedly have HUGE implications in the third book. people (myself included) seem to focus more on the well spirit, Zane, and Sazed and tend to forget about the world's newest allomancer.

I think this will be a very cool new addition to the MB series with Elend and Vin out there fighting together, and undoubtedly butting heads every once in the while, but here's a question. Even if your theory is right and Elend is the most powerful allomancer in the world, will he ever actually become a "fighter"?  I know that Elend went through some big changes in the second book, but it's still hard for me to imagine him ever doing some of the things Vin does and being an allomancer doesn't mean you automatically learn how to fight well.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 09:27:32 PM »
I am curious to see how Vin trains El.  Will it be Kel style, or she going to throw in her own personal touches.   Plus it will be interesting to see this affects their personal responsibility, since Vin has been El's protector, and now El has the potential to protect himself.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Survivors Apostale

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 10:15:39 PM »
I just want to see Elends morale strugle on when/where to use his new found powers of emotion control. He is the one that is alway's talking about freedom and a person's right, but with the ability to control there emotions he will be put to the test of my all time favorite; Hypocricy.

mists59

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 10:51:50 PM »
when i first read mb2 and the kandra is explaining to vin about how she shouldnt have been able to effect him with allomancy he explains that process of generations has diluted the bloodlines of allomancers so they no longer have the massive power they used to have.

now i think this was just how the kandra explained the loss of ability that allomancers could no longer control them anymore. my theory is that the steel ministry started to suppress which metals were available  for allomancers to use i.e alluminium, electrum but especially Duralumin. that would explain why mistborn couldn affect the kandra anymore as they could no longer get the massive flares of metal that you get when a mistborn burns duralumin.

just my take on things :D

There's always another Secret.

Survivors Apostale

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2008, 04:19:49 AM »
Ok, I can't find it but some where some one brought up the fact that Elend might only have the mistborn powers for so long because the metal he swallowed is what's giving him the power. But we have seen fast burning metals, and slow burning metals, but there is a chance that there is a metal that is permanent. It's not that far out of the realm of possibility. Exspecially if that's what the author wants.   :D.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 06:43:11 PM »
I don't think that Elend's power will be temporary.  However, getting back to Vin's power; is it a stretch to believe that Vin's mother was a Hemalurgist?  That would explain why she heard voices (like Zane).  So you have a nobleman of relatively pure blood who has a child with someone with Hemalurgic powers.  Then her mother kills Vin's sister to add Hemalurgic power to Vin's earring.  Which, by the way, would explain why the mists were moving away from her at the end of WoA, and why she could only draw on the mists that one time she wasn't wearing it.  I can just see the plot twists coming in the next book.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 04:33:30 PM »
Do we know much about hemalurgists right now?  We know that's how the Steel Inquistors are created, but no real specifics, right?
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 09:33:31 PM »
Right, but we can assume that the mists are pushed away by Hemalurgy, as they are repelled by the Inquisitors during the Vin's fight with the lord ruler.   We can also guess that the voice Zane heard was the well spirit, which spoke to him through his spike, and is also controlling the Steel Inquisitors, which we get from Marsh's fight with Sazed.  I don't think it's too much of a stretch to believe Vin's mother was hearing the same voice.  This is just a theory, but I believe that Hemalurgy is going to be very key in the last book.  I am really looking forward to the Hemalurgy explanations.  I may post a theory about Hemalurgy soon.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 09:28:15 AM »
I actually had the idea that Hemalurgy was naturally supposed to be a Skaa power, judging by the Lord Ruler's treatment of them.  It might be that Hemalurgy, like Allomancy and Feruchemy, is an inherited trait.  So, it occurred to me that the whole "no Nobles may breed with Skaa" law was like the "no Feruchemists may retain manhood" law; a way to maintain control over the magic and make sure nobody except the Lord Ruler could imitate the feat of mixing all three powers.

If Vin is truly a Hemalurgist, that may explain her unnatural power.  However, I get the feeling that Hemalurgy is a lot more complex than just a form of enhanced Allomancy.  If it's truly a "third magic system" parallel to Allomancy and Feruchemy, then Hemalurgy probably has its own uses of the Metals -- and it has something to do with blood.  (obviously, since Hemoglobin is a form of iron in the blood).  An interesting thing about Hemoglobin, though, is that it has a molecular structure that negates the typical ferromagnetic properties of iron.  To put that in plain "English", blood-iron is one of the few forms of iron that cannot be magnetized.

...And THAT'S why Hemalurgy would explain Vin's power over the Lord Ruler.  Hemalurgy incorporates blood, and possibly involves the ability to transform Hemoglobin into something controllable (Ironpulling and Steelpushing most likely work in a magnetic fashion).  Thus, it doesn't matter whether the Lord Ruler's all-powerful rings are embedded in his skin if Vin is able to combine Allomancy and Hemalurgy.  She just has to take that earring out...