Author Topic: Help recommend some books for my 12-year-old nephew  (Read 5535 times)

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
Help recommend some books for my 12-year-old nephew
« on: January 31, 2008, 10:30:30 PM »
Nephew is turning 12 in Feb and is asking for books.  His mom just emailed us asking for suggestions.  He likes fantasy/SF but reads other things too.  He likes series, and would prefer something that's already finished so he doesn't have to wait for the next book.   His mom mentioned that he enjoyed our other recommendations, but the only thing I can remember suggesting before is Diana Wynne Jones's Chrestomanci books.

Since this is his mom asking, it should probably be stuff without any direct references to sex.
~금강산도 식후경~

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Help recommend some books for my 12-year-old nephew
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 10:37:28 PM »
Heinlein's Young Adult SF:
Red Planet
Rocketship Galileo
Have Spacesuit Will Travel
The Rolling Stones
Starman Jones

Diane Duane's So You Want to Be A Wizard series.

"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 02:06:38 AM »
The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper
Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander
Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 02:31:24 PM »
The Bartimuaes Trilogy (sp?) by Jonathan Stroud is very good. It's a comlpleted trilogy, interesting well written and age apporpriate with no lewdness but still good even for adult readers (I'm 19, started reding book one in highschool when it came out, and I still enjoy the trilogy but it's not girly or anythign).

The first book is the Amulet of Samarkand (sp? again, sorry, borrowed that one from library so don't remember spelling).

Anyway, here's the amazon page for further details

http://www.amazon.com/Amulet-Samarkand-Bartimaeus-Trilogy-Book/dp/0786852550/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201872567&sr=8-1

it's been given 4.5 stars which is very good!

anyway, you should be able to read and excerpt on it and the other following two books on amazon.

The Hobbit is also very good of course.
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

DragonFly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 03:39:56 PM »
Try the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer. It is an ongoing series (5 books to date) about a super-intelligent, criminal masterminded 12 year old who has a running feud with a group of underground goblins.  The author has a wacky sense of humor and the books are lots of fun.
Work is like fertilizer in that I'm very glad it exists--I just don't ever want to get stuck in it
(Lightsong in Warbreaker)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 06:32:22 PM »
David Eddings' first series is good for that age.  The first book is Pawn of Prophecy.  If he liked Chrestomanci, then he might like other things by Diana Wynne Jones such as Archer's Goon, Darklord of Derkholm, Eight Days of Luke, and Dogsbody.  Everything by Lloyd Alexander is good.  Redwall by Brian Jacques.  And, of course, Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson, though I suppose that series isn't finished.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 01:40:34 AM »
I'd suggest Timothy Zahn's Dragonback sci-fi series. Good for that age group, and really entertaining. There are five books out, and the final in the series comes out this May, so he wouldn't have to wait long.

The first book in the series is Dragon and Theif.

Also, Airborn, by Kenneth Oppel, is really good. The sequel, Skybreaker is also out.

Lightningfall

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 09:49:53 PM »
You might also wish to consider any of the books by Tamora Pierce.  They're all pretty good and appropriate for that age.  I would probably suggest the Circle of magic series and the Immortal series as they were my favorites.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 08:55:48 PM »
Mister Monday by Garth Nix is good, though the series isn't finished yet.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Lightningfall

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 01:09:08 AM »
Yeah, and so is the Abhorson trilogy also by Nix.  He also wrote Shade's Children but I think you might want to read that one yourself before letting your kid.  It might be a bit more graphic than you want.

Azhev

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 06:14:20 PM »
You might also wish to consider any of the books by Tamora Pierce.  They're all pretty good and appropriate for that age.  I would probably suggest the Circle of magic series and the Immortal series as they were my favorites.

As much as I enjoyed the Lioness quartet, there are references to sex.   Just be advised if you do go down that path.

My nephews have enjoyed the Leven Thumps series by Obert Skye.  Also Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians series is a great, fun read.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

Lightningfall

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 07:28:15 AM »
As much as I enjoyed the Lioness quartet, there are references to sex.   Just be advised if you do go down that path.
Quite right.  I had completely forgotten about that.  However, if memory serves, the Immortal series doesn't.  And I know that the Circle of Magic series is free of it.

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 02:43:21 AM »
ooh, good books! I love the Bartimaeus trilogy (sp? ;) )
And I really enjoyed the Ranger's Apprentice.
And the Lioness Quartet, although I'm not sure a boy would like it.

Another one is Magyk by Angie Sage... I liked this one, and have the others but haven't gotten around to them yet (see the what are you reading thread :) )

Another book that I just devoured as a kid is 'The Case of the Vanishing Boy' by Alexander Key... but that'll be hard to find, I had a hard time laying my hands on a copy a few years back. It's good though, odd, but good.

I had the librarian mention to me awhile back that I was in the young adult section and when I told her, "I know." she gave me a funny look and said, "Oh, alright, well the adult books are upstairs." For a librarian she didn't seem to understand the need for a good book ;)

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 11:48:51 AM »
I had the librarian mention to me awhile back that I was in the young adult section and when I told her, "I know." she gave me a funny look and said, "Oh, alright, well the adult books are upstairs." For a librarian she didn't seem to understand the need for a good book ;)

I never understood why there was such an illogical stigma about books aimed at young adults. I mean, they're all *written* by adults aren't they?

My mother's an English teacher and even when I was in my early teens she disparaged my reading of "baby books" (and yes, I'm talking about young adult books - Deltora Quest, other series... then fairly later Dianna Wynne Jones’ stuff which I got into after seeing Howl's Moving Castle ((- best movie ever,)) at around 17).

I mean, does that many *any* sense? I mean, just because you can and do read other books or, when young, read things above your age - you’re supposed to only read 'adult' stuff.
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Azhev

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 03:00:14 PM »
I've noticed lately that a lot of my reading material is falling under Young Adult.  Quite frankly, I don't care.  A good story is a good story.