Author Topic: Spyware and MS Antispyware beta1  (Read 1897 times)

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Spyware and MS Antispyware beta1
« on: February 15, 2005, 03:31:32 PM »
There is no word for how much I loathe spyware.  The thing is there is 4 people who use my computer on a daily basis, and 2 of them do not really understand how malicious spyware really is... plus not all that computer savvy and can fall for the stupid tricks that get you nailed with spyware and other crap.

I've burned away days of my life manually searching through registry files, booting up in DOS prompt, etc to get rid of this junk.  One of the worst developments in this game is you get one on there, and it also acts as a trojan and downloads a hundred other malware programs onto your computer and then you are not doing this once but a hundred times.  I feel lucky not to have to do this more than once every couple months.

Anyway, you might have heard that Microsoft bought an antispyware company and a antivirus company.  Well you can download their beta version of the antispyware program now, and it is pretty hot.  This thing is definatily worth adding to your arsenal, so go check it out if you run WinXP.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
Re: Spyware and MS Antispyware beta1
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 04:32:16 PM »
I suggest adaware.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 05:58:45 PM »
You should allwayse have two spyware programs, or least that;s what the spy ware experts say, so if one program dosen't catch something (or disables one) the second usealy can.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 06:30:48 PM »
Gates said today there will be a new version of IE that goes into testing in the summer and that this spyware program will be included with it.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6973740/

The thing I found the most intresting in that article is:
Gates said security remains the biggest threat to the "fantastic advances” happening in the world of technology, and that Microsoft was spending more than a third of its annual $6 billion in research and development spending on security.

That's a lot of money on just security.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 06:42:47 PM »
given that they are the most targetted OS at all, more security really needs help.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 02:37:45 AM »
You should allwayse have two spyware programs, or least that;s what the spy ware experts say, so if one program dosen't catch something (or disables one) the second usealy can.

I do have more than one spyware program, I have quite a few actually.  Adaware is pretty good, but I think this is way better.  Plus you can opt into the Spynet which helps increase their database, which will give it even better overall protection.  The thing I really like about it is the different other tools that it comes with, like real-time protection and ability to check out all your active processes, activex controls, browser extensions, etc. and even better they have detailed information of all known stuff, including the spyware you're trying to get rid of, so you can know what's really going on.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 05:31:12 AM »
Ad aware, Spybot, Spyblaster, Norton Antivirus.

I am Invinvible. Nothing can touch me. The gods have decided I am sexier than Buddha and twice as hard as jesus.

I CANNOT DIE!

(well, my IE IS riddled with broswer hijacks, but I don't give a crap. I mean, when do I use IE?)
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 05:32:08 AM »
invinible isnt invincible though.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 05:32:19 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 05:37:34 AM »

I do have more than one spyware program, I have quite a few actually.  Adaware is pretty good, but I think this is way better.  Plus you can opt into the Spynet which helps increase their database, which will give it even better overall protection.  The thing I really like about it is the different other tools that it comes with, like real-time protection and ability to check out all your active processes, activex controls, browser extensions, etc. and even better they have detailed information of all known stuff, including the spyware you're trying to get rid of, so you can know what's really going on.

I was more refering to MoD then you.  MS's new spyware program looks intresting, and I'd like to try it, but since I use Win 2k (which is a far better OS then XP imo) I'm out of luck.