Author Topic: So..what should Brandon do next?  (Read 6223 times)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: So..what should Brandon do next?
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 09:51:31 PM »
Prolly not a pre-release thing like for the other 2 books, but I doubt that would be official until July or August.  There are definite benefits to an early release (plus the track-record to prove that it will succeed), but I can see why Tor might not want to.

As for what he should do next - whatever he feels like.  I would personally prefer his to wait before doing more Mistborn.  Since he has just finished a trilogy of Mistborn, I fear that doing more in the universe so soon would peg him as a "one-trick-pony" in the minds of different readers.  We dont want Brandon getting the "Terry Brooks Syndrome."

Dragon Steel would be sweet, but I would like to see a longer series (5-6 books).  I think Brandon will have a better idea of long term planning (even better than he already does) once finished with WoT, and that this would be a good time to flex those metaphoric muscles.  I also think a Big Series would be the smartest thing to do from a marketing perspective at this point - ride the wave and all that.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2008, 04:44:04 AM »
That's a really good point, both of those.

And I know that it won't be a pre-release.  He was saying with WoA that Tor changed the rules so he couldn't do them anymore, and the only reason he got to do it with WoA was because he had it all planned for like months, and it was like three weeks from the release.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

bovine_blue

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2008, 02:43:03 AM »
I'd say epic would be the way to go for your career. 

Not a WOT sized epic though please.  I gave up after book 5 as the story seemed to get stale and slowed down to a crawl (I did like Jordan's style thoguh).  4-6 books is a decent sized epic in my view (and I probably would have finished WOT if there were a couple more books to go not more than half a dozen more).

Bryant

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2008, 06:14:27 AM »
I would suggest going with an epic for several reason. One, commercially, it would be a good move.  Authors deserve some monetary reward for their hard work, and you're in a unique position to really appeal to an audience you otherwise would not be able to. Awe a lot of potential fans with WOT12, and then give them more with an original epic. Half a dozen books is tons of room to tell a story, and short enough that you don't have as big of a danger of rehashing everything or putting in tons of filler.

However, since I would assume (I'm no writer - my attempts never evolve beyond a chapter or three)  an epic of such size would take longer to prepare, perhaps releasing Dragonsteel to "tide over" the fans in between mistborn/wot and your next project would be a good idea.

I have to say, I'm anxious to read Dragonsteel (As well  as your other unreleased works!), so that's partially influencing my opinion of sooner rather than later on it's release.

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2008, 02:07:48 PM »
Well, publishing Warbreaker and a sequel would be nice. (Obviously). I really liked how kind of bad-ass Vivenna and Vasher got at the end of the book, and then just you know, went meandering away with the worlds most emotionally impaired sword. (rofl). Seriously, Nightblood gets me every time.

I'm also pretty interested on what names they'll pop up under next, I don't know if this will actually happen but I just kind of got the feeling with Vivenna deciding to change her fated course or whatever and Vasher's already known penchant for changing names faster than a yucky handckerchief I got the feelign it might happen. Plus it would be cool to actually have the characters change name mid series rather than just hearing about them having gone by different names before the series started.

Uh, for Elantris I'd be more interested in a pre-timeline follow up for that. Either maybe a distopian Noir-esce fall from grace of elantris or a story set soemtime before that for me would be more interesting than a more dirrect follow on. Even a far-futured follow up in the same realm might be cool, not exactly set in the modern world I mean, but at a stage where they're really figuring out some very nifty, cool and excitign uses for elantrian tricks.

Before starting a new series or a big epic, maybe go for a world holiday Mr. Author~! it's always great to expand upon experiences and draw more influences into one's work especially before undertaking a large epic-type commitment. That's a bad thing that's really become noticeable with  authors such as Eddings who's a bit stagnant now when it comes to ideas,  but it's ncie to always strive to further develop yourself as a persona nd improve your awerness of a larger word anyway. And you can always label it as a ... what's the word? Sabbatical or whatever.

And hey~! who needs a real reason for a holiday. I mean, Sir Author must totally be *le tired* now after all the awesome books released thus far.

Who else votes: "Well deserved holiday away from demanding fan-mail."     ?  ;D

oooh, but lest we not forget: if he does a long multi-part series he can have the satisfaction of pulling a JKR and doing the whole "Well maybe I'll write X number of books but maybe I'll only write Y number of books in the series as you are already suspicious of."

Oh, what fun she must have had, toying with our hearts......
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.