Author Topic: Brandon - any thought or discussion about doing more with the WoT series?  (Read 1963 times)

badmrpotatohead

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Ive always been interested to read some of the Stories from War of Power, hundreed years war, etc.  With the access to all of RJ's notes and such, I woudl think itd be possible, if there was any desire to do so after finishing AMOL.

CrystalKitten

• Level 1
    • View Profile
I'm not too sure how I'd feel about this.  One.. It's not REALLY Brandon's choice.  He doesn't own the Wheel of Time world.  He's not writing the book of his own accord, he was hired to complete the series by the person who is now (I'm assuming) in charge of the Wheel of Time franchise.  Unless Harriet decides she wants more Wheel of Time stories, or releases the information for Brandon to write what he wants in the world, I don't think there's anything he could do, even if he wanted to.

Granted, I don't know how any of this stuff actually works.. this is all just what I'm assuming.

Even if he was given permission, I still don't know how I'd feel about it.. Finishing the last of the series as an homage to Robert Jordan, so that his fans can see the work that he was trying to finish for them despite being terminally ill..  That's on thing.  Deciding to take that world, and expand on it even more.. I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that.  I wanted to read more about it as much as anyone.  Wanted to read more on the histories, more of the battles that are mentioned and flashed back to.  And was definitely interested in some of the spin-offs Jordan mentioned.  But without Jordan actually writing them.. It wouldn't be the same.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
As much as I would love to read about things like the Aiel War or Hawkwings rise to power, I think I have to side with CrystalKitten on this one. I really love that Mr. Sanderson is finish the last book of the series but it was Mr. Jordan's world. Although, I did not think it was a bad thing when Christoper Tolkien took J.R.R.'s notes and expanded on the stories of Middle Earth. So, maybe if Mrs. Rigney (RJ's wife) wanted to put something out along those lines I don't think it would be all that bad.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
It would definitely be Harriet's decision, but I think most of Brandon's fans would be happier if he would devote his time to his own books. Brandon is not going to run out of his own ideas anytime soon.

A Memory of Light is an awesome opportunity and awful responsibility. At the very least, it's best to hold back further speculation until the job is done.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
I seriously, seriously doubt that I would be involved in those projects for the reasons that have been mentioned.  I might consider the two prequels that Mr. Jordan was working on, since there are bound to be much better notes regarding them, but even that is something that would need a lot of discussion and thought. 

I don't know what Harriet intends for Mr. Jordan's other projects--she might want to have them written eventually, or she might not.  Perhaps, like Children of Hurin, she will want to release these books many years from now after she's certain that the outline and materials are consistent with what Mr. Jordan would have done.  For now, I'm just focused on this one book. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Daarian

• Level 4
    • View Profile
I was honestly hoping she would just decide to clean up all the notes and release all of that as a nice little WoT supplement. Want to plant that bug in her ear for me Brandon ;) ?
""Don't talk to me about nobleman," Vin said. "And don't say things about people you don't know.  You're no skaa-- you're just nobleman without titles." - Quote from Mistborn

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
The literary world of The Wheel of Time could go the way of the literary world of the Star Wars Universe.  Many authors writing many books.  Some are good.  Some are so-so.  And some are down right aweful.  Not to mentions some inconsistencies with the timeline and such.  So be careful what you wish for.