Author Topic: Atium question  (Read 4368 times)

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Atium question
« on: January 25, 2008, 02:30:38 PM »
This may be answered in The Well of Ascension but is there such a thing as a misting that can only burn atium? I mean other mistings find out after they snap because of the trace metals in the water they drink and such. Although, if your a misting that can only burn atium how would you ever know? I'm just curious....
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Atium question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 02:45:11 PM »
I can't tell you! HA HA HA HA!

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 05:10:09 PM »
For those of us anxiously awaiting the next book you're not helping Ehlers.  For those of us engrossed in the Mistborn world the anticipation of Hero of Ages is going to be almost as bad as it was for the end of the Harry Potter series. 

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 06:49:07 PM »
For those of us engrossed in the Mistborn world the anticipation of Hero of Ages is going to be almost as bad as it was for the end of the Harry Potter series. 
But, also having read MB3, I dare say that the conclusion to the Mistborn series will be much, much better that the final book of HP. So well worth the wait. :)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 08:38:29 PM »
actually, i'm being helpful, though you may not like the by-product of over-stoking your anticipation levels :D

I'd be happy to give you the answer in a private communication. But I am letting you know that the only way to get that answer is to read the story or to learn something significant about the story that may hinder the way some people like to read books, so I won't discuss it openly where fans may accidentally learn it.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 11:43:05 PM »
"RAFO" is such a useful term.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

badmrpotatohead

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 01:43:06 AM »
surprised you find the ending of MB3 significantly better than HP...granted I thought the epliogue was quite stupid, but the actual battle of hogwarts I throoughly enjoyed....you may be setting up MB3 to an impossible expectation. :)

MPlease

• Level 4
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 07:04:19 PM »
Oh I don't know, Brandon's known for his avalanche endings. ^^ In comparison, Rowling's endings are a bit meh-ish.
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 10:50:37 PM »
I'm with MPease -- I think HoA will be a lot better than DH.  For one, the world has been written a lot better.  For two, I felt like the last few books were rushed too much.  HoA will be awesome because because I KNOW it wasn't rushed, and all of the plot will be wrapped up in a way that will be a lot more mind boggling than anything that Rowling wrote.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 07:42:50 AM »
I feel the need to ask those to whom I've given alpha reader status to avoid gloating over my fans who come here to ask questions.  Please, I allow you to read my work ahead of time because I value your feedback.  However, if someone comes to ask a question and you laugh at them, it...well, let's just say that I'd prefer you not do that. 

I actually think Rowling does a great job with her endings, though the later books were a bit weaker in this area than the early ones. 

As for the original question. . .well, I’d rather not say anything myself, as I worry about spoiling the book.  However, I’m very interested to read your speculation about these things!
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 03:41:35 PM »
I'm sorry for anyone who though i was actually laughing. I was simply making a Bill Cosby reference. Since not everyone seems to know this reference, I will stop.

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 06:52:08 PM »
"RAFO" is such a useful term.

Ack! Evil, evil phrase!!  :'(
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

achren99

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 09:07:36 PM »
Hmm...it would make sense that there are mistings that can only burn atium or silver or something-but we haven't seen them, so what do I know about that...?  :) 

Rowlings books have relatively good endings on their own.  I love her world and most everything about the first six books, although I think Brandon is a better author.  The last book was extremely disappointing, though.  (Even not counting the laughable epilogue).  She seemed to make up new rules for the world as she went along in the book, and when things didn't make sense, she explained in interviews after the book came out, "Oh that was different because *insert some random reason that doesn't really make sense here*."  One rule in particular didn't seem to apply in previous books at all!  Also, instead of having the characters be smart to get out of situations on their own, she uses deus ex machina.  I would give an example that particularily bugged me, but it would be a spoiler :)

Anyways, Brandon's books aren't like that, and I'm sure MB3 will be WAY better than Deathly Hallows.  (no pressure haha ;) )

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 03:30:13 PM »
Am I the only person in the world who actually like the epilogue to HP7? I enjoyed the book as well, although them wandering around in the tent was a bit tedious. I liked it alot more than book 6.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 07:21:57 PM »
You're not. I liked it too. However, this is not really the thread for it. This is (unless it's been dormant too long).

All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!