Poll

Who do you think would win in a straight up sword fight?

Rand Al' Thor (WoT)
Denth (Warbreaker)
Aragorn (LOTR)
Drizzt (D&D)
Other

Author Topic: Sword Fighting Prowess  (Read 14645 times)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Sword Fighting Prowess
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2008, 04:22:40 PM »
Agreed, good poll. I didnt mean to go my own way I just thought I would post who else would be good for the poll. Drizzt is probably the winner in any case.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2008, 07:47:35 PM »
I chose other because I could think of so many others who could win the sword fight. Bastille or Draulin Crystin (Alcatraz), Edmund or Peter (Narnia) so I can think of lots of people who could win because I tend to read books with swords and warriors.

Bastille
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2009, 03:56:52 AM »
What about the Paolini characters? Eragon? Murtagh? Galbatorix? The elves? An elf like Oromir might be able to win, 'cause elves have superhuman strength, speed, reactions, reflexes…basically everything you need to kill stuff. In "Eldest," you saw how easily Eragon's sparring partner (elf dude, forget his name :)) destroyed him every time, even though he was trained by the best (Brom). And what about Galbatorix? We've never read of him fighting, but c'mon, he's gotta be pretty beastly.

From the list, though, I'd have to go with Rand. I mean, come on. He defeated Ishamael, the super-evil-destroyer-of-hope-who-is-tight-with-the-Dark-One-and-has-had-millenia-to-practice-sword-fighting (alright, he basically committed suicide to do it, but still! he tricked him!).
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2009, 09:12:40 PM »
Do me a favor and read anything that R.A. Salvatore has written about Drizzt D'oUrden and then get back to me. I know there are others who are supposed to be amazing and the best but after reading like 15 books about Drizzt and his abilities I would be hard pressed to think anyone could best him. That includes Rand and anyone else I have ever read about.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2009, 09:46:29 PM »
Do me a favor and read anything that R.A. Salvatore has written about Drizzt D'oUrden and then get back to me. I know there are others who are supposed to be amazing and the best but after reading like 15 books about Drizzt and his abilities I would be hard pressed to think anyone could best him. That includes Rand and anyone else I have ever read about.

The only Salvatore book I've ever read is the first book in the Hunter's Blade Trilogy, Thousand Orcs. While Drizzt was bad ass in that book I don't think you will ever be able to sway me away from voting Rand but you could vote for any of these characters mentioned previously and not be wrong. However, if I'm facing my death at the hands of some brilliant swordsman and can only choose one of these characters to defend my life I'm going with Rand. Rand is a ruthless fighter and will win no matter the cost to himself. Rand ftw
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
And, to add to what Madness said, when Rand goes into the Void he burns up all his emotions–including fear. So you freakin chop him up with a buzz saw and as long as he was still alive he'd keep going. Oh, and also…the fate of the entire human world as you know it is a pretty big incentive to win the freakin swordfight.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2009, 12:34:39 AM »
I mean I guess burning emotions like fear is a good thing but not having fear is a bonus then. Also you could say those same exact things about Richard Rahl. In every way he is almost the same as Rand if not better. But I still think Drizzt would win.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2009, 12:44:21 AM »
One more thing to consider: Rand is perfectly willing to sacrifice himself in order to get the other guy. So he could just do the 'Sheathe the Sword' thing or whatever it's called and kill the guy.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2009, 01:01:00 AM »
Yeah I know what your saying. I just think that if you have read the Sword of Truth you would agree that Rand and Richard are probably a match for eachother. In more ways than one they are similar characters. Richard is just like an older more experienced man than Rand is. Also Drizzt has been fighting since he was like 10 in a military training school ran by dark elves who as a race take pride in their fighting abilities. They are the best fighters in their world and he is the best among them. He came in first in their arena and has bested every adversary he has faced. Although Rand beats him with being able to forget his emotions with the void Drizzt uses his emotions to fuel his fighting. Also Richard uses the very same void when he fights but he also uses anger to fuel his fighting. Even though Richard and Rand would be an epic battle I still think that given the history of Drizzt that he would win. I mean Rand hasn't been a fighter his whole life. That is who Drizzt is.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2009, 01:09:01 AM »
I agree with the notion that Rand would lose 'cause he hasn't been fighting his whole life, but…a couple of points. (1) It's in his blood, (2) he was trained by the best (Lan), and he HAS been perfecting his use of the Void since he was a child–Tam tought it to him and he used it for archery. But you're probably right nonetheless. I also don't know the two characters you say could best him, so my opinion isn't worth much.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2009, 05:35:32 PM »
I wasn't trying to prove you wrong. I was only expressing my opinion that he could be bested. I know he was trained by the best but so are a lot of other characters. If you don't know Drizzt I recommend the Icewind Dale Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. Its part of the Forgotten Realms. Good starting point if your looking for a fun read. There are a lot of other books involving Drizzt but that's the best starting point. Also give Wizards First Rule a shot by Terry Goodkind if you wanna read about a character like Rand.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2009, 11:05:13 PM »
OK, I hear you. My mistake.

Thanks, I'll try to get around to those (although I have a lot of unread books lying around my room now–that's basically all my relatives give me for occasions).
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.