Poll

Who do you think would win in a straight up sword fight?

Rand Al' Thor (WoT)
Denth (Warbreaker)
Aragorn (LOTR)
Drizzt (D&D)
Other

Author Topic: Sword Fighting Prowess  (Read 14652 times)

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Sword Fighting Prowess
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 01:23:20 PM »
Maybe we have to give it to you and allow lightsabers to be classified as a sword but this is about skill with a sword. Yes, you're correct, upon first contact the duel would be over because  Jedi Windu's lightsaber would disarm his opponent but that has nothing to do with his ability as a swordsman. Which is what this discussion is about.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 08:19:55 PM by Comfortable Madness »
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
If we're discounting magic and magic swords then I'm still going to give this fight to anyone wielding a lightsaber. Mace Windu would demolish anyone else on this list simply because his sword (powered technologically, not magically) would disarm anyone else on the list in the very first clash.

Hey if Mace can use his lightsaber, then Rand can use his magic power-wrought blade. In that case the lightsaber would be no advantage and I STILL think Rand would win. :)
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 08:04:56 PM »
Loud G, me and you are always on the same page in this matter....
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 05:55:39 AM »
Which means either you're right, or you're both wrong. :)

I don't know, personally Gaborn or Raj Ahten from the Runelords would probably be the best swordsmen.  With their endowments they would be virtually unstoppable, and neither of their swords were magical. 

Outside of fantasy though I personally know some pretty intense swordsmen, and I'm sure they could win against several fictional ones.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 08:27:52 PM »
Why is everyone so high up on Rand when he can't beat Lan?  He also lost to that Tairen dude who has his little rebel army outside of Tear.  Remember when the fog started killing people?  That's when Cadsuane slapped Rand for using balefire.  I would put Lan up there over Rand, unless it has to be the main character.  Anyway, I choose Duncan Macleod.  He would befriend Mace Windu and ask him for a lightsabre, and then he would be unstoppable!  :P
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 10:55:43 PM »
He also lost to that Tairen dude who has his little rebel army outside of Tear

Hey wait a minute Rand was injured during the fight with Toram Riatin, who is a blademaster not just some Tairen dude.  I also believe that he has surpassed Lan in sword fighting abilities. Rand is obsessed with the use of the sword and has never stopped training at it. He pays the best swordsman in towns to battle groups of them at once. While Lan is a legendary swordsman in his own right if I were to place a bet on a duel between them I'm taken Rand.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 04:47:41 PM »
I know Toram is a blademaster, I just couldn't remember his name.  Besides, I would'nt take Rand now, he only has one hand!

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 05:51:10 PM »
Good point. I like to forget that that ever happened. Although, a one-handed Rand is as good as most other two-handed swordsmen.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 03:38:10 AM »
If we are really going to excise all magic and magic-esque technology from this scenario, then all swordsmen who traditionally rely on magic or technology will be too handicapped to go on. It's like the die-hard WoW players who use thirty custom hot keys--force them to play without them and they wouldn't know what to do or how to do it. The only reasonable winner in a contest that bans all magic is a swordfighter who has never relied on it to begin with, which leaves (arguably) none of the choices in this poll, and very few of the suggested alternatives. Wesley from the Princess Bride would count, Madmartigan would probably count, along with several of Aen's suggestions like John Carter, Conan, and Red Sonja.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 04:58:18 PM »
I would add Zatoichi to the mix.  He whooped a$$, and he was blind!

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 06:13:17 PM »
I would just like to point out that Matrim Cauthon, from the WoT series(I may be a tad biased when it comes to this series), would beat any TWO of these people mentioned above, with the Ashendarei...

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 09:32:48 PM »
And Indiana Jones could just shoot them.  Unfortunately, this is about sword fighting ability.  To respond to your point, though, Lan could take him.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 01:34:12 AM »
It'd just be mean of Rand to use Callandor or that fire blade thing he does sometimes, that and it would obliterate any resistance to his Dragony wonderfulness... He is by far the best swordsman out of the list and any mentioned thusfar.

Honestly, Mace Windu is cool, but Rand could whip him in a fight sooooo easily. Jedi train to use the force along with lightsabers (which have significantly different tactical implications that swords), and would get his colon stomped so fast in a no-powers fight against Rand.

I really think that Lan ought to be on the list if Aragorn is though, because the King of Malkier could totally slam him into the ground, probably without breaking a sweat. I mean seriously, Lan v. Aragorn, no contest, at all.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2008, 01:10:13 PM »
To respond to your point, though, Lan could take him

Not a chance darxbane. Back when Mat beat Galad and Gawyn, Hammar tells all the warders in training that the best swordsman of all time lost once in his whole lifetime and that was to a farmer with a staff. Mat, by the way, is not just some farmer so Mat would win hands down.....

Avalon I agree with you 100%.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 04:40:49 PM »
You are missing the point of the lesson.  Galad and Gawyn understimated Mat.  They were taken by surprise, and were defeated before they could recover.  Plus Gawyn and Galad were not near the ability of Lan or Rand (although Galad is much closer now).  In New Spring, Lan takes on 6 people at once in a real fight and wins.  Rand has been unable to defeat 5 at once in practice, and I don't think Mat has faced that many at once. Oh, and Rand needed Moiraine's help to beat Ba'laal in book three.  He was getting whooped.