Author Topic: So..what should Brandon do next?  (Read 6211 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: So..what should Brandon do next?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 02:41:42 PM »
Drag-on Steel! Dag-on Steal! Drag-on Steal!

(I loved that manuscript)

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 05:48:20 PM »
And this Dragonsteel thing intrigues me, which means I'm probably going to be ripping my hair out til I find out what it is (hinthint)

If you want to check it out, while EUOL was doing preview wednesday he put up a couple of the chapters in his blog.

Do you happen to have a link? I can only find chapter 1, which really only introduces Midius with a hint of lightweaving.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

skibocastle

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 06:17:58 PM »
I'm torn about this.  I love Brandon's work, and would love to see him take on a big epic.  But, personally, I have trouble staying focused on big epics.  I start them, and then while waiting for the next book to come out, I lose interest, or get sidetracked by a different series.  So, standalone books work great for me, it let's me enjoy the author's work, without having to go back and re-read the previous books in the series so I can remember where things stand.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 06:18:36 PM »
His taxes.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Reckalie

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 07:27:21 PM »
I really liked the world of Elantris.  I would like to see more in that world.

Seraf

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 09:26:08 PM »
Dragonsteel IS supposed to be Epic though, I thought. I need that series to come out next. Unless EUOL feels that Dragonsteel won't have enough of a BANG to start off his next book with, in which case either start a big new epic, [By which I mean no more than5 books, or else I will hunt you down...] or else have that awesome standalone turn into a duology and release a big number of middleweights all at once. Other than the sucky ending and some clarifications of magic and Deus Ex Machina[literally] removals, Warbreaker is stand-aloney enough to live awhile all alone. Scribbler needs to come out soon to.[Is that the stand alone?]

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 10:17:56 PM »
Scribbler needs to come out soon to.[Is that the stand alone?]

I thought I read somewhere that Scribbler would have to be pitched toward a different publisher like Scholastic or something.
moustaches on the other.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 11:30:39 PM »
Scribbler is YA so it's a different audience then his normal Tor stuff, however Tor does publish YA so it could end up anywhere if he decided to sell it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

achren99

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 12:42:15 AM »
I definitely vote to make Dragonsteel the "big epic."  It was freakin' awesome.  Best book ever.  (Yeah, you probably shouldn't pay attention to my opinion--it's like Dragonsteel is a drug or something--I need to read more in that world!)

Honestly, though, I think you should go with what you're in the mood for and what you think will be best for your career.  Getting all those WoT fans means getting fans who love big epics, so that might work for you.  Of course, they might be a little sick of following large series after such a long time (especially one like WoT).

So--that's my preference  1. A Dragonsteel book (by itself or as the start of an epic) 2.  Big "other" epic

Know, though, if you go with the "other" epic that you are torturing me by not releasing Dragonsteel.  ;)

imflyer20

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 05:44:54 PM »
Okay, this is embarrassing as I have not read Brandon's work, yet. I have Mistborn 1 in my shopping cart on Amazon and when I finally finish a portion of my plate of "to do", I will click "purchase" and start reading. However, I have looked over what kind of books and stories he has come out with so far, and I'm torn between "Stand Alone" and "Big Epic". Perhaps a "Stand Alone" that may evolve into a "Big Epic"? Or the first book can stand on its own but still have sequels to it? I've always liked those because it gives the reader a chance to decide if they really want to continue on this perilous quest without a cliffhanger or unanswered questions that force you to pick up the next one. Hard to say. The story dictates how involved it must go. Follow your instincts  ;D .

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 10:38:19 PM »
... why does no one besides me seem to think that Mistborn has an epic feel? A single book can be an "epic" in the truest sense of the word. Of course epics are especially long by definition, but a three book chunk is long...

Anyway, I don't care what comes out next, because I have full confidence that I will love it and be the first one at the bookstore to buy it.   ;D
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 10:50:46 PM »
Anyway, I don't care what comes out next, because I have full confidence that I will love it and be the first one at the bookstore to buy it.   ;D

Guess again. I'm already camped out next to the cash register ready to purchase my preorder.  ;D

Wonder how long I will have to wait; at least there's a Starbucks and a bathroom nearby.  <twiddling thumbs>
moustaches on the other.

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 03:25:34 AM »
haha, ok I admit myself beaten... But I will re-arrange my schedule when one comes out so I can get it first thing and then spend the day reading as much as I possibly can. (Although I like to try to savor it. I know I purposely read more slowly when Knife of Dreams came out because I figured it would be forever until the next one came out. And I was kinda right... lol). I hope it comes out in the summer, though. Blasted college....

But you sound like you've got yourself a nice spot there... camped out in a bookstore, plus a Starbucks and a bathroom. What more could a person want?
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Daarian

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 05:25:32 AM »
I am a fan of series because I like to dive in a world and read lots about it, but at the same time the world has to be right for it. I also love stand alone books. It is the story that counts, not how many books it takes to tell it. Honestly I think a good 2 booker would be great. Feed the need for deeper exploration of a world without the drag that often comes with a third book. And thats just my opinion.
""Don't talk to me about nobleman," Vin said. "And don't say things about people you don't know.  You're no skaa-- you're just nobleman without titles." - Quote from Mistborn

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 06:20:54 PM »
I'm already camped out next to the cash register ready to purchase my preorder.  ;D

Wow, there's actually people camping out already?  But... the next book doesn't come out until October.  (Again, anyone know if there's going to be a release party?)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"