Author Topic: So..what should Brandon do next?  (Read 6212 times)

badmrpotatohead

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
So..what should Brandon do next?
« on: January 20, 2008, 03:39:06 PM »
As per Brandons blog he asks for a bit of feedback, so I figured I'd start a topic and throw my thoughts in.  His possibilities are:

Warbreaker sequel
Elantris sequel (Different characters, same world.)
Big Epic (five or six books on a new project)
Random Stand Alone
Dragonsteel (Which is written, but now I don't know when to release it.)
More books in the Mistborn world
(Note: Again, I wouldn't do any more with the same characters.  Their story is done after book three, as I promised it would be.)

First off, I'm sure all of these projects would be interesting, it's just a matter of choosing the best one.

Warbreaker: Its frutrating knowing there is more to the story but that you have to wait FOREVER for the sequel...when I finished Elantris I wanted to read the next book right away and was sad there wasn't one.  However, I agree with your sentiment that the time is right to REALLY make your mark and a sequel might not be the best way to do that.

Elantris:  Same problem as Warbreaker.  If/when you DO write this sequel though Brandon, I hope you don't compeltely ignore the characters from the first book....don't make them the main focus by any means, but it would nice to still have them affecting the world still (perhaps only from a political standpoint, what is that new government in Elantris going to do now, mentioning what the characters are doing even if we don't ever see them again).  My sentimental side likes the continuity of that.

Big Epic:  This is my vote as to what you should do...Read "The Carrots Revenge by Brandond Sanderson, co-author of AmoL, book 1 of the When Vegetables Attack chronicles!!" You have such a huge opportunity here to build your name and identity up with the other heavyweights of the Scifi/fantasy genre that I think starting fresh and setting up the giant series to followup your giant series conclusion is going to do that the best.  (could you even get a chapter preview of it in the AmOL hardcover like they do in paperback? mm, good times)

Random STand Alone - Definitely vote against this.  Standalones are fine in between series usually, but not in this opportunity...you need to build something.  Standalones you read and put down, series you HAVE to get the next book to see what happens.

Dragonsteel - didnt know this book existed...if you didnt already have warbreaker, Id say do somethign liek that with it online....other than that, you could just save it till you find yourself in a slump and need to get somethign new out.  Its your emergency reserve! :)

Mistborn 4:Alien invasion! I would vote gainst this....as much as I have enjoyed MB and its world, once youve finished the series theres no real reason to head back into it, at least not soon.  The other projects have more success potential in my mind.

My thoughts...what say you peanut gallery?

laddr

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: So..what should Brandon do next?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 04:02:52 PM »
I agree, the best choice is: Big Epic (five or six books on a new project)

There is not going to be any bigger chance to keep the momentum going than after WOT. Thats your chance at further capturing the readership and give them something to keep living on now that WOT will be over.

I came here because of WOT, but now after reading Mistborn I probably will keep reading your stuff no matter what you pick to do, but I think it will be an overall better choice to launch a major epic.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 06:00:58 PM »
I don't write, I don't publish, and I don't pick up new authors randomly. Brandon posted on another author's site, whom I love, and we chose Elantris as our reading group book of the month and I have been hooked ever since. He is the only author that I plan to have a full hard back library of, for the entirety of his career. That being said, I am a huge fan of trilogies, but I have a problem with epic series. Anne McCaffrey possibly being the exception, but I buy her stuff in paperback because there is so much of it. I will probably get and read the Wheel of Time series, because I have heard so much good about it, and Brandon is writing the final book.

If I had to choose what I would like for him to do next, I would say whatever his creative mind has for him to write down. If there is too much to sift through in there, then do the Warbreaker sequel, and finish that story off, as much as you choose to. I think anyone who has read any of your books to this point will be more than willing to read whatever you put on the shelves, at least to give it a fighting chance. I am not saying everyone will love everything you put out, but, if they love what you have done so far they will try out what you do later. That is from a fan stand-point though, not a business one. :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 06:03:32 PM by dawncawley »

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 06:34:54 PM »
Epic, most definately. I need another series to get hooked onto not that Harry Potter (call me cliche I don't care I still love it) is over and Mistborn will be too. So I would say Epic.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 08:42:27 PM »
I'm up for the mistborn series part two, because he's said what he's going to do is take the world and jump it forward a few thousand years and then write characters that have the abilities, but are in a more modern setting.  Like I said on the blog it's a great way to draw readers into the old series, prove he can think differently than mosts authors as well as being a three part series, so new readers are getting hooked to his style without just saying "Ah, that one was good, but I don't know if I'd like the others."
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Aojo

• Level 1
  • "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."
    • View Profile
    • Kicking Cinderblocks
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 10:21:02 PM »
I'm jumping on the bandwagon unashamedly (is that a word?) and saying go with the Big Epic.
I want to say "do more with Mistborn's world", but I can't until I've read book 3.  And this Dragonsteel thing intrigues me, which means I'm probably going to be ripping my hair out til I find out what it is (hinthint)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 10:26:50 PM »
And this Dragonsteel thing intrigues me, which means I'm probably going to be ripping my hair out til I find out what it is (hinthint)

If you want to check it out, while EUOL was doing preview wednesday he put up a couple of the chapters in his blog.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

urbmd

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 03:53:12 AM »
After what happenned to Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time series, I think I no longer favor lengthy epics.  As the book numbers increase, the authors take longer and longer to complete them, and there becomes the risk of the story arc never getting completed.

I am wondering if George rr Martin will ever complete the Ice and Fire series.  I think epics should be limited to trilogies.

I think Brandon could make a good Elantris sequel.  He certainly mentioned numerous opposing ways to access the Dor which could lead to further stories.

Ratlord12

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 05:16:10 PM »
I'm interested to see what Sanderson could do with humor. I enjoy his serious fantasies, and Elantris is one of my favs, but I find a book most satisfying when I'm laughing at least 50% of the time.

kasper11

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 07:29:42 PM »
If Brandon has the story for a big epic in his mind, I am all for that.
I much prefer one big story to sequels, even if I liked the first book.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 08:31:34 PM »
I wrote this whole long analysis, but ultimately I am selfish so it comes down to an easy choice.  I will have been patiently waiting while Brandon writes a book I may never read, so since Dragonsteel is already written, might as well publish it. I will, of course, support whatever decision Mr. Sanderson makes.

For the curious, here is a brief rundown of my thoughts on all of the choices. You shoulda seen my earlier post:

Warbreaker did not feel like a standalone, necessitating a sequel.

An Elantris sequel would be terrible without continuing from the first book. I would like to know 1)how Raoden rebuilt the city, even if he does just use his magic abilities 2)how derethi created 'Elantrian' abilities without the shaod 3)how Raoden and Sarene's relationship can handle the mortal/near immortal dynamic 4)the battle that ensues. The derethis now know the Elantrians have returned; the shouldn't be as unprepared the second time around.

I haven't read Mistborn 3, so I don't know how a sequel would be. I would most likely prefer a prequel, considering we don't know what happened when Kelsier snapped and killed many men; how Kelsier met Gemmel and convinced him to tutor; how Kelsier found out about the 11th metal, etc. Besides, I grew tired of Terry Brooks later books when he would rehash the book's world with different characters and decendents.

Random Standalone would be great but it would have to be his best book to date, otherwise the wait between AMOL and writing the new one would be too much to bear, lol.

I would love an Epic, but a tiny part of me is worried that this will be the only book of Brandon's I don't like and he will be spending years devoted to it. Plus, I'm kind of impatient and an epic is hardly something you speed through in the writing process. If Brandon could put out a brief synopsis, I might change my mind.....

Dragonsteel. Already done. I wouldn't have to wait for more Sanderson content. If I don't like it, he will already be working on another book.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

davenporter

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 08:42:10 PM »
I've only read Elantris and Mistborn One thus far (I was halfway through The Final Empire yesterday and I ended up spending the whole day finishing it...), but I'd be most interested in the Epic idea or more Mistborn novels.  I think Mistborn's got a great world going for it, and I wouldn't mind lingering on that for a while.  As for an Epic, great, but keep it focused.  Five or six books would be perfect.

Ararana

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 10:00:04 PM »
I'm so excited to see a larger epic from Sanderson. I'd go with that choice. ;D

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 06:10:04 AM »
I'm interested to see what Sanderson could do with humor. I enjoy his serious fantasies, and Elantris is one of my favs, but I find a book most satisfying when I'm laughing at least 50% of the time.

Have to agree here.  Alcatraz had me rolling on the floor.  I loved it.  I would love to have more like this.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Ratlord12

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 01:40:34 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about that book... existing. Guess I'll check it out then *headpalms*

Okay, next BS (gotta love those initials) should show us a scary story. I don't like horror (well, Lovecraft, but whether or not he's a horror writer is debateable) but maybe EUOL's powerful writing could change my perspective. You know, like Lovecraft.