Author Topic: Annotaion suggestion  (Read 1861 times)

badmrpotatohead

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Annotaion suggestion
« on: January 20, 2008, 03:19:22 AM »
In reading the recent MB2 annotations, I found it kind of frustrating trying to remember what the chapters were about, since its been while since I read it.  Elantris and MB1 I read the annotations right away after I finished the book so it was all fresh...my thought was perhaps at the start of each chapter annotation there could be a bullet summary of what the chapter was about?  I.e.:

1.   Jeff finds the treasure map
2.  Nynavae sniffs loudly at the ever present use of the word bloody several times
3. John discovers hes really a woman

and then the annotation continues from that point...just a thought.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: Annotaion suggestion
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 03:39:34 AM »
The annotations are supposed to be read with the story, but I have to agree with you there.  It would be great to have a bullet list of the things that maybe EUOL feels were the importiant parts of the chapter, and that way we also get a review/see what he felt were the most important parts vs what we felt was most important.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 11:28:44 AM »
I've thought of this.  I worry (probably irrationally) about giving away too much of the book in spoilers.  I worry about people clicking on the annotations who haven't read the books.  The way the annotations are, you have to know what is going on in the novel to get them.  If you don't, it is (as you've noted) kind of hard.  With a list of events before each annotation, I worry that people will read through them anyway (out of curiosity) and have the whole book spoiled in the form of 'cliffs notes' I've written.

Of course, people can find a summary other places, if they want.  That's why this is probably irrational.  I'll give it a try in the next annotation and see if I like it.  Thanks for the feedback.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

badmrpotatohead

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 03:19:05 PM »
Yeah, I can see your concern, but in my mind I see the bullet points more as a reminder to someone who has already read it rather than actually giving away the plot in a cliff note type setting.  I would even say leave it vague so that if youve read it it will bring it back to you, if you haven't youll be more confused than when you started.  And really, why would someone WANT to read a book like that?  Can you imagine reading LotR like that? 

1. Sam distrusts Golem
2. Golem tries to maniuplate Frodo against Sam
3. The Giant spider appears

Id think it would make you more curious than before to find out what actually happened.

My .02 cents. :)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 08:46:35 PM »
I can see how that might reveal the plot of the book, but really if they're going to be reading all of the annotaions and putting that much effort into it, they're more than likely going to get the book.  And even if they didn't like you said they'd be able to find the end twist anyways.  But really, I don't think anyone just glancing through would go that far as to read the endings.

Or if there are major spoilers in the bullet list you could put it under the hidden text thing, and then let them have the choice of spoiling it.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Daarian

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 09:33:22 PM »
Well in my opinion if someone is reading annotations then umm.. they have to be expecting spoilers in some form or fashion. I mean seriously how could someone think.. "Hey let me go read this stuff by the author that talks about each of the chapters before I read the book because I'm sure after reading all of that I won't get the Deja Vu feeling when I read the actual book and ruin my chances of actually enjoying it."
But anyway, thats just my opinion.
""Don't talk to me about nobleman," Vin said. "And don't say things about people you don't know.  You're no skaa-- you're just nobleman without titles." - Quote from Mistborn

badmrpotatohead

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 04:11:06 AM »
I liked them in the latest annotation, thumbs up.