Author Topic: A Question about A Well of Ascension (Possible Spoilers)  (Read 12296 times)

Daarian

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: A Question about A Well of Ascension (Possible Spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 06:30:12 AM »
Yes, yes, but there is great joy in trying to get those small pieces of information out of an author.. part of it is the challenge, the other part is that some people just want to know all the details of a world.
""Don't talk to me about nobleman," Vin said. "And don't say things about people you don't know.  You're no skaa-- you're just nobleman without titles." - Quote from Mistborn

Left D

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 12:05:53 AM »
If I understood Mistings correctly, they can specialize in only one metal, but it can be any metal. I am not sure if that is correct, as per Brandon's way of thinking, but that was how I read and understood them.
That's what I thought, too, but somewhere in book 2 Vin "asked Clubs to burn bronze".  Since Clubs is a smoker (copper burner) I didn't understand how that was possible.

Bryant

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 01:18:41 AM »
If I understood Mistings correctly, they can specialize in only one metal, but it can be any metal. I am not sure if that is correct, as per Brandon's way of thinking, but that was how I read and understood them.
That's what I thought, too, but somewhere in book 2 Vin "asked Clubs to burn bronze".  Since Clubs is a smoker (copper burner) I didn't understand how that was possible.

This bothered me to, but I assumed it was simply a mistake that slipped by, rather than indicative of Clubs being a special misting/mistborn hybrid

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 10:16:36 PM »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

skibocastle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 08:37:02 PM »
Ok, my thought on this is that since Zane had a spike, he had gone part of the way towards becoming an Inquisitor, so like Marsh, he could hear the voice of the thing in the well, and it had some control over him.  And, I always thought there was something strange about the way Vin's mother killed her sister, seemed very ritualistic.  And, considering that her father was a highly ranked obligator, it makes me say hmmm.....  Anyway, that's just my two cents.  I can't wait until October.  Thanks Brandon for creating a world that has captured my interest like this.  It's been a long time since I have felt so engaged by a series.

Survivors Apostale

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 01:36:43 AM »
Give it up to the most origanol magic system in the past decade, *clapclapclap -whistlewolfwhistle-* and I'm spent.

But yes, I forsee the spikes, vin's mother, zane *obviously*, the afterlife, inquisitor fights and flights, mistings that burn past the eight basics, and much more.

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 09:24:03 PM »
Ok, my thought on this is that since Zane had a spike

:o

Zane has a spike?  How the heck did I miss that?!
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

mists59

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
its easy to miss its only mentioned briefly. if i recall its mentioned when he leaves his fathers camp and gets his mistcloak and atium. he says he never liked wearing it because of they way his spike protruded from his back. or something along those lines.
i am sure it will be explained in Hero of the Ages.
 :o
There's always another Secret.

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 04:38:02 AM »
Whoa... I missed the thing about the spike too.
How is this possible??? I'm such a thorough reader...
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 05:53:13 PM »
Whoa... I missed the thing about the spike too.
How is this possible??? I'm such a thorough reader...

I'd have to go back and read but I didn't think it said "spike" even though that's what I assumed it was. I thought it used a different word, more like a bump or protrusion.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Survivors Apostale

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008, 05:28:06 AM »
It is only briefly talked about right before Zane goes to the final confrintation between him and Vin. He runs from Straff's tent into the night to a small tree down by the river. He then pulls out his atium, and mistcloak, which he says he doesn't wear because he doesn't like the way it rubs against  protusion in his back made from a spear tip lodged in him from a wound earlier in his life. Hope this helped.

biga9999

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008, 11:35:17 PM »
I agree that was my thought as well.  Just finished Well last night. 

Ok, my thought on this is that since Zane had a spike, he had gone part of the way towards becoming an Inquisitor, so like Marsh, he could hear the voice of the thing in the well, and it had some control over him.  And, I always thought there was something strange about the way Vin's mother killed her sister, seemed very ritualistic.  And, considering that her father was a highly ranked obligator, it makes me say hmmm.....  Anyway, that's just my two cents.  I can't wait until October.  Thanks Brandon for creating a world that has captured my interest like this.  It's been a long time since I have felt so engaged by a series.

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 03:12:47 PM »
i thought the spike was something zane was born with - which begs the question of why/when/how did the steel inquisitors start shoving metal ice picks into themselves in the first place?
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2008, 07:48:20 PM »
this is actually one of the things that been nagging at me about Zane. i recall him rubbing his chest where there was a bump there (presumably the front of the spike) and then that he didn't wear the mistcloak because of the way it rubbed the protrusion from his back. but anyway, i also seem to recall him saying that he had the spike for as long as he could remember. so how long has he had it? i think it's pretty safe to say at this point that the well spirit was probably the voice. so if Zane can be believed, then he had the spike and the voice of "god" most of his life. that would mean that the well spirit was controlling him for 20 years (give or take). that seems like an awful long time if the well spirit simply intended him to die at vin's hands all along. it just seems like an insane amount of time and it seems indicative of a much larger scheme than we're aware of.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2008, 09:35:23 PM »
How much bigger can the scheme get?  The thing created and continuously adapted an entire prophecy and religious belief in order to trick someone into freeing it, and has apparently been doing so for thousands of years.  Zane's role was probably to test Vin's character.  Remember, the Well Spirit wants someone who would choose to do "the right thing" and give away the power to save the world.  If Vin could be corrupted by Zane and choose power, she wasn't the right one for the job. 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.