Author Topic: A Question about A Well of Ascension (Possible Spoilers)  (Read 12304 times)

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
A Question about A Well of Ascension (Possible Spoilers)
« on: January 18, 2008, 05:47:10 AM »
This has been bugging me for quite some time and I was originally planning to simply wait for the annotations to possibly explain it but I can't. I have no patience... I must inquire:
When Zane is dying and "God" is telling him that of course he wouldn't tell Zane to kill Vin and that Zane was never insane in the first place.
Are those throwaway lines? Or do we find out more information about it?
It's been uber bugging me.

Oh and another thing:
Will we ever find out what EXACTLY gold is? That's been bugging me as well... it doesn't seem complete. I don't know, maybe I'm just completely dense and need everything explained to me in crystal clear detail... but it never hurts to ask. (Though my Honors Biology teacher would probably disagree... I thoroughly annoyed the hell out of him freshman year. I can't help it if I don't understand the concept of ribosomes. Sorry... I'm ranting. But seriously, whatever someone can tell me would be great!)
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: A Question about A Well of Ascension (Possible Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 02:48:49 PM »
I can't tell you. Ha ha ha ha!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 06:06:32 PM »

Am I pethetic if that reminds me of the "Noah" act by Bill cosby?

And as I understand it gold is a substance that shows you the past, present, and most likely future of someone you look at.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 01:23:46 AM »
I wasn't one of the chosen few that got to read book 3, so everything I say would just be speculation at best. However, since I don't want to give anything away to those that haven't finished book 2 and we don't have an invisible text color that only shows when you highlight, I will keep my comments to a minimum.

First off, I thought Gold showed you glimpses of yourself had you made different choices. This is pretty much useless because it is like dwelling on the past. However, Vin may use it in conjunction with malatium  in book 3 to see how she and those around her might have been different had she made a different choice at the end of book 2.

Second, I highly doubt that the voices in Zane's head are afterthoughts. Vin's mother heard voices too and it seems to be an integral part of the story so I doubt this is the last we will hear of it. Perhaps they both heard the same speaker, almost 10+ years apart.

To further throw stuff against the wall to see what sticks, perhaps this voice told Vin's mother to perform a ritual on one of her daughters involving a gold earring and the death of her other daughter, somewhat similar to the creation of an inquisitor. If they were the same voice, the speaker might have turned Vin into what she was and did not want her to be killed by Zane.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Aojo

• Level 1
  • "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."
    • View Profile
    • Kicking Cinderblocks
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 04:08:21 AM »
Umm, maybe I'm wrong, or maybe everyone already figured this out (and this probably needs a spoiler warning, but...) I kinda thought the voice Zane was hearing was whatever came out of the Well. 
I don't know, it's been awhile since I read it, and I'm kinda afraid to pick it up again.

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 06:28:23 AM »
I read that too... but it seems slightly incomplete to me. Maybe I should just give my brain a rest. It may be overthinking things.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 11:32:38 AM »
Zane's entire character is foreshadowing for book three.

I leave gold intentionally vague, I'm afraid, even by the end of book three.  I do this in novels, particularly when I feel that I might do more books in a world later on.  The events of books two and three don't lend me to spending much time on gold or malatium, so I figure I'll save really digging into them when I can have a character more focused on them.  (I'd someday, for instance, like to do a Malatium or gold Misting and see if I can do anything interesting with them.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

laddr

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 04:06:12 PM »
Interesting I didnt think a misting could specialize on any of the high metals. So there could be an atium misting??

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 05:49:22 PM »
If I understood Mistings correctly, they can specialize in only one metal, but it can be any metal. I am not sure if that is correct, as per Brandon's way of thinking, but that was how I read and understood them.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 07:22:01 PM »
Mistings are people born with the ability to burn a specific metal. They don't get to choose it, thought that would make for an interesting society.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 08:30:05 PM »
I can't say too much without spoilers for Mistborn 3, but suffice it to say that if I were to write more books in this world, I would want to do some new things with the magic.  Some events at the end of Mistborn 3 have large ramifications on the way the magic works and the way the setting would proceed. 

Daarian

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 09:34:32 PM »
I can't say too much without spoilers for Mistborn 3, but suffice it to say that if I were to write more books in this world, I would want to do some new things with the magic.  Some events at the end of Mistborn 3 have large ramifications on the way the magic works and the way the setting would proceed. 

You know.. this reminds me greatly of RJ's favorite comment. "Read and Find Out"...
*shrugs* just struck me that way.
""Don't talk to me about nobleman," Vin said. "And don't say things about people you don't know.  You're no skaa-- you're just nobleman without titles." - Quote from Mistborn

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 04:39:13 AM »
So, I'm guessing that burning duralumin when you are already burning atium allows you to see much further than a couple seconds into the future....

Man, October can't come soon enough. Any chance MB3 gets pushed forward if we say pretty please?
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 03:00:28 PM »

Am I pethetic if that reminds me of the "Noah" act by Bill cosby?

And as I understand it gold is a substance that shows you the past, present, and most likely future of someone you look at.

Not at all. Since that's what I was thinking. If you'll notice by my forum title. I am a god.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 05:17:25 AM »
I hate talking about things like this, since I don't want to feel that I'm dangling bits of information in front of my readers.  I think, perhaps, this is why Mr. Jordan was so fond of the phrase which has been mentioned.