Author Topic: Sad day in the church...  (Read 3560 times)

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
Sad day in the church...
« on: January 28, 2008, 07:52:41 AM »
http://www.kpvi.com/Global/story.asp?S=7781608

Just saw this a couple hours ago and nearly started crying.  He'll be missed dearly.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Sad day in the church...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 01:56:10 PM »
My brother-in-law called just as I was getting into bed to let us know. LDS.org hadn't even posted it yet. I'm glad I didn't ignore it (as I do most calls that come after 10 pm.

My 7 year old cried when I told her this morning, the 4 year old wasn't sure what was going on. But it was a good opportunity to remind them that he's with his wife now, and he's free of his body's problems. And also that we will still have a prophet.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 03:09:48 PM »
I was surprised and yet not surprised when I got the news (from both my sister in law and my sister). I will say that I don't think it has completely sunk in yet, as often happens in cases like this. He was and is a great man. He is now  with his wife, and I think that is awesome, he missed her so. I am sad, yet happy at the same time. I have no fear for the Church, we've always been in good hands, the same two hands as always. ;)
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 04:57:50 PM »
They interrupted what I was watching on TV to announce the news. At first I was annoyed (because for some reason in Utah they feel it worthy to interrupt shows just to announce things that can wait till the 10 o'clock news), but when I saw why, I started to bawl. I know that he is in a happier and place and I'm glad he is with his wife, but I will miss him and his humor. You could feel the love he had for everyone just radiating from him. Even though I'm sure each prophet is like that, he was the first one we've had since I was old enough to really understand, and he was the first one I was ever in the presence of. Because of that, he has touched me more than any previous President of our Church.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 05:52:49 PM »
Last night, my brother sent me a text message, and the news shocked me. But then I felt this stillness... and I could just picture his joyous reunion with his wife and the well-deserved rest and reward. I miss him, and yet it seems too unreal to have sunk in just yet.

Everytime I heard President Gordon Bitner Hinckley speak, I could feel the strength of his convictions and his good humor and love for everyone. What a spry world-traveler he was, even as the years piled up. I will always remember him for his optimism, faith, intellectual savvy, and compassion, not to mention his somewhat mischevous sense of humor. He was our prophet for nearly half my life. So it is the end of an era for me and many others. I'm so grateful he served us for as long as he did.

So I'm not only saddened but I also feel even more homesick. My condolences to his family.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 06:16:25 PM by Shrain »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 05:53:28 PM »
We will miss his smile and his sense of humor.
~금강산도 식후경~

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 09:04:28 PM »
I thought I should feel sad, but all I've felt is this overwhelming gratitude that we had him so long, and that he was such a wonderful, inspired person. Where he is now he's very very happy!
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 09:23:27 PM »
Oh, how I will miss him. The world has lost a great man. I wish I could have been in the Conference Center during the services. But I'm so grateful I was able to watch the services online--I could have gone up to the chapel in Cambridge. But somehow I just wanted to watch it in privacy. The memories shared by the speakers made my heart swell with gratitude for his brightness and service. What a character he was--ever using his cane to help him walk but waving it around to people saying hello. Now he is with his lovely wife. God be with us all 'till we meet again.  :'(
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 04:11:53 AM »
I personally am not a member of the Church, but my condolences go out to his family and all of those who will miss him.

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 05:30:23 AM »
A press conference is scheduled for 11am (MST) Monday in the Church Office building, I believe, for those of you interested.  Should be interesting.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 05:24:33 PM »
And, also noteworthy:
60 Minutes will do a segment on President Hinckley tonight, with Mike Wallace revisiting his 1996
 interview.

There's even a preview on the CBS website: 
 http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60minutes/main3415.shtml
--Spriggan