Author Topic: Interested in Publication  (Read 5483 times)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Interested in Publication
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 05:33:33 PM »
Ah. LTUE. I have fond memories of that. And CONduit. Both in Utah.

Of course, I *am* homesick lately. Haven't been home since last August. But anyhow, those cons were good. And you can't beat LTUE when it comes to entrance fees because there are none.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

imflyer20

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 07:08:30 AM »
Curses. I just missed those dates, but thank you Miriel for posting that information. I better stay frequent with this place or I'll miss out on future important stuff like this.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 10:14:18 AM »
Next Con is Conduit in Salt Lake.  May, I think.  After that, Denver Worldcon is the best the area has to offer this year.  (Though I'll be heading a little farther out and hitting BEA and ALA in between.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

imflyer20

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 04:49:13 PM »
I'll be there! By the way, I just finished my first fantasy project yesterday, so I placed an order for "Mistborn" on my amazon account. I'm excited to start reading your work. I noticed on the CONduit web site that the next convention will be May 23-25. Since it's three days long, how do I know which day I should go, or should I plan on booking a hotel room for two nights and attend everything? Looking back at some of my stuff, and that this is my first convention, I see I am not ready as of yet to sell my books (they need a little more work), but I will attend to get an idea of what a convention's like and mingle/make contacts, as you suggested. Is it wise to bring along some of my work anyway, like keep it in the car and bring it out if someone wants to look at it? Once again, thank you for your help and advice. It is well received.

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 05:25:18 PM »
I've gone to conventions for years in various states, but last year was my first time at CONduit.  I loved it.  I'd recommend going all of the days.  For someone who is still looking for a little help/inspiration/commiseration with their writing this is a great place to go.  The wealth of information you'll receive is worth the price of a hotel room (and airfare or gas if you live out of state like myself).

Miriel

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 06:55:59 PM »
I've never been to CONduit, and so far there isn't a schedule posted on their site -- so I don't really know what's going on there.  Could someone maybe briefly expalin this one for me?  How it's the same/different from LTUE?  Thanks.

imflyer20

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 09:25:39 PM »
I don't mean to bring this old thing up again, but I have a new question about attending a writer's Convention. I'm clueless as far as the protocol or what the dress standard is for such an occasion. Would it be wise to bring some of my works, in case an acquaintance of influence has an interest in browsing through it? Do you have any pointers that would help make a good first impression with other members, publishers, authors, everyone in general? Thanks.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 09:57:53 PM »
Vocal story pitches should be one sentence. If the editor is interested, he/she will ask you to submit it or might ask for more details. But don't pitch anything until you've had the editor in conversation for a while and then asked him/her if you can pitch something.

Don't bring manuscripts with you, unless you have convinced the convention to give you a reading slot. (Doing a reading in one of the convention rooms, on their schedule, can sometimes, though rarely, result in an editor wandering in and being interested.) The last thing an editor wants to bring with them on the plane back from a convention is a stack of manuscripts.

Dress business-upper-casual. You won't impress an editor by wearing a costume or a grubby T-shirt.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 07:51:51 PM »
Pitching in one sentence seems really hard.  You can't sum up the entire plot, obviously.  How do you do it?  For example, how would we pitch Lord of the Rings in one sentence?  Or one of Brandon's books?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 12:31:21 AM »
In order to defeat the Dark Lord and save the world, a small-town youth must put his life in peril as he and his companions travel to the fires of Mount Doom in order to destroy the Dark Lord's ring of power.

In a world where a thousand years ago, a hero set out to destroy the ultimate evil and instead turned into a Dark Lord himself, a motley crew of thieves and con men scheme to bring down the empire he created to oppress them. (Actually I'd split this into two sentences and just say "A thousand years ago, a hero set out to destroy the ultimate evil and instead turned into a Dark Lord himself. Now a motley crew of thieves and con men scheme to bring down the empire he created to oppress them." Two sentences, but fewer words.)

Ten years ago, a city of gods among men was transformed into a city of the damned. When a prince awakens one morning to discover he has joined the walking dead, he must reverse what happened ten years ago or go mad trying.

It's just the basic idea boiled down, including what makes your story different from anyone else's. Obviously this sentence for Lord of the Rings would sound cliche today, but this is how it might have been pitched back in the day (not that it actually was).

I think these would be good quick pitches, enough to pique the editor's interest so he or she asks for more information. Then you give a couple paragraphs more, perhaps about the basic characters and/or magic involved, and if they still look interested ask if you can send them the first three chapters. You don't want to monopolize their time.

There's more than one way to pitch, but it's important to keep it quick, interesting, and to the point.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 09:11:23 PM »
I couldn't help but hear Don Lafontaine's voice while reading those blurbs.  Seriously, though, listen to movie trailers, teasers for news stories, etc.  Then try to explain your story in that vein.  It might help to explain the story to someone else, and they may simplify it for you.  I haven't written any stories, but I do have to come up with solutions and ideas often, and I know it's hard to simplify something you've worked hard on.  An unbiased viewpoint could help.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 10:34:33 PM »
(Not being too much like Movie Trailer Guy was why I preferred to remove "In a world" from my Mistborn pitch...but it fit more easily as one sentence if I included the initial clause.)

Also note that the pitches do not necessarily avoid spoilers. Pitching a book to an editor and pitching a book to consumers are two different things. If the secret in your book is what makes it most interesting, it should be in your pitch so the editor knows how interesting the book is. Like, if I were pitching The Prestige, the secrets would be included in the one-sentence pitch. (Not writing a Prestige pitch here for spoiler reasons.)

But it's also okay for the pitch to contain lies, if they're lies consistent to the book, such as in my Mistborn pitch. Yeah, the hero didn't turn into the Dark Lord, but that's what everyone thinks happened, so that's good enough.

imflyer20

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 12:36:27 AM »
Wow. I was going to ask that question myself, but that helps a great deal. Now I have a few lines ready when needed.