Author Topic: EUOL cover quote did it's job; it created a sale.  (Read 2613 times)

Shuez

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • R. Schuyler Devin - Writer, Poet, Artist, Techgeek
    • View Profile
EUOL cover quote did it's job; it created a sale.
« on: January 14, 2008, 08:35:28 AM »
I recently have read no less than three positive reviews for a book named Thunderer by author Felix Gilman and so I purchased the book today. The final selling point was a very nice quote from Brandon regarding the novel on the back cover. So I want to know, is the book really that good?

I guess I will find out when I start reading it this week (After I finish Dave's Worldbinder).

----------
R. Schuyler Devin
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."

- Albert Einstein

"You have only just begun to gauge the depth of your ignorance yet you use it as the foundation for a towering confidence." - from the novel Black Brillion by Matthew Hughes

badmrpotatohead

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: EUOL cover quote did it's job; it created a sale.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 03:11:22 AM »
you know, I always kinda wonder about those quotes....do the authors that are quoted really feel that strongly about the commetns made in their name?  Ive read some by some authors that claim to very rarely if ever read other works, but yet seem to have time to read said book and deliver a glowing remark on it.  Brandon, whats your take on that?

Shuez

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 10:06:39 PM »
I understand and wonder about this myself, but EUOL seems to be the type of person that would want to read a book before praising it. That being said, I hope EUOL can tell me if he did, in fact, read this book. I am personally finding it difficult to embrace Mr. Gilman's writing style, but I am still reading forward. I find the prose clumsy and the editing horrid; at this point, I am on a quest to find the heart of the many 4 star reviews I read.

----------
R. Schuyler Devin

- Albert Einstein

"You have only just begun to gauge the depth of your ignorance yet you use it as the foundation for a towering confidence." - from the novel Black Brillion by Matthew Hughes

Shuez

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 10:30:02 PM »
An update:

Robert at fantasybookcritic has a review that I believe may give an insight into the way I am am feeling about the book so far (I am not to page 40 yet).

"...Unfortunately, the execution is a bit clumsy as the narrative jumps from one point-of-view to the next with haphazard glimpses of the book’s main players before culminating with the mighty warship Thunderer capturing and harnessing the power of the Bird-God for itself. From there, the story takes a little detour, revisiting the past of Arjun Dvanda Atyava and explaining his reason for journeying to Ararat in the first place. It wasn’t until about page 40, that Felix really started to find his groove as a writer and from that point on, it was nearly impossible to tear myself away from the pages. So just a warning—“Thunderer” may suffer from a somewhat rough beginning, but once the story gets going readers will be duly rewarded."

http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/2007/12/thunderer-by-felix-gilman.html

So, I will keep reading this book and see where it leads. I find it humorous that Robert also chose the word "clumsy" (as did I) to describe the beginning. If the review is correct, I may have to recant my previous statements about Gilman's writing.

----------
R. Schuyler Devin

- Albert Einstein

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 10:56:38 PM »
This was a tough one to decide on.  I cover quoted a couple of books this year.  Daniel Abraham's books, for instance, are ones that I think my readers will specifically like.  He has interesting magic and a lot of good political intrigue.

I wasn't sure on Thunderer.  I liked it--but I didn't like it from the "I know my fans will like this" stance.  I liked it from the "I was an English major, and some of the beauty and imagery of this book was way cool.  Also, I have a soft spot for Magic Realism, to which this hearkens."  So, I tried to create a quote that would get that across.  I'm not sure if I did a good job or not, honestly.

I'm not all that good at deciding how and when to cover quote yet.  But I DID like this book.  Even if it is really, really hard to pin down why or even what genre the thing is in.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 10:59:00 PM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Shuez

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 01:53:54 AM »
Thank you Brandon. As someone who loves literature, I am beginning to understand why Thunderer interested you. The book did have a rough start with a less than graceful execution of the varying point-of-views, but my feeling for the book has gone from uncommitted and doubting to believing that the book is peculiarly immersing.

----------
R. Schuyler Devin
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 05:33:59 AM by Shuez »

- Albert Einstein

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 04:53:22 AM »
I don't envy you, EUOL, in having to come up with such quotes.  It's gotta be hard to know what to say and how to say it.

Have to admit though, some of those quotes are not the best way to judge a book.  I read a book one of my favorite authors did a cover quote for.  Unfortunately, it didn't live up to my expectations.  Goes to show that even fans and authors can disagree.

Just out of curiosity, how do you get chosen to do a cover quote?  Do you ask, or the author, or does the publisher decide?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 04:55:26 AM by Azhev »
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 05:46:42 PM »
Brandon, if I ever get published will you do a cover quote for me?  I'd bat my eyelashes if I knew how.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 06:43:30 AM »
This is slightly off topic but whenever I bat my eyelashes I feel like I'm having a concusion or a stroke or some other crazy malady that makes my eyes roll into the back of my head. However... it did seem to work.
Sorry, I felt an impulse to share this personal anicdote with the world.
If you found this pointless then:
... and then I found twenty dollars.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 11:39:55 AM »
Sigyn, you're in my writing group and you know I love your writing.  I think it's safe to say I'll cover quote you...

Cover quoting is a strange business.  It's left completely up to the author.  A publisher will send you a book, sometimes just out of the blue, and just ask your opinion on it.  Sometimes, another author will ask you if you'll look at one of their books.  In the end, the decision whether or not to quote (or what to say) is up to you.

There are a lot of factors in it, however.  Sometimes, those asking for quotes will be your friends.  Sometimes, they'll be important people in the field who have helped you out.  Sometimes, you'll read a book and really like it--but not be able to decide if your fans would like it. 

Also, there's the time factor.  Sometimes, I get a book to read which looks really good, but I'm too busy to read anything at all.  Sometimes, I'll get a book that isn't quite as brilliant, but I need something to read. 

And, once you've read and enjoyed an entire book (even if you didn't love it), you are left wondering what to do.  You just read the whole thing.  I feels like a shame not to offer something at that point.  Plus, new writers need every break they can get.  It might not be ENDER'S GAME, but if the author did a good job and shows potential, you might quote it anyway. 

I always try to quote honestly.  I don't gush if I didn't love the book.  Instead, I point out what the book is like and what its positive factors are.  That way (my theory goes) if my readers pick it up, they can know what--exactly--I liked about it, then have more information to judge whether or not they will like it. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

laddr

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 04:07:58 PM »
I like it sounds like a sound strategy... I can see the 'political' difficulties that can be involved.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 07:44:46 PM »
Wow, there are just so many perks to being in your writing group.  Not only do I get to read your stuff before everybody else but I also get cover quotes.  I will now do a happy dance.
If I had any clue, would I be here?