Author Topic: EWSOD the allpowerful? *Mistborn spoilers*  (Read 3614 times)

urbmd

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
EWSOD the allpowerful? *Mistborn spoilers*
« on: January 11, 2008, 12:47:43 AM »
So how much do we really think the Evil Well Spirit of Doom (EWSOD) that Vin released has been able to accomplish?  I do not use the name Deepness because I am still not sure as to what the Deepness is, as I explain below.   This creature must have some incredible telepathic ability.  Perhaps it did not do all of the below, but I would guess most of them:

1) Created the Hero of Ages prophesy to the Terris hundreds of miles away either by direct visions or by alteration of their religious literature.

1a)It can alter reality, specifically changing religious texts to suit its needs.

2)It maintained the prophesy of the Hero of Ages despite Lord Ruler's efforts to elliminate the entire Terris religious system.  Admittedly this may have been the fault of the Lord ruler for keeping the Logbook and Steel plaque.

3)Mind controlled the Inqusitors and Marsh to kill all the remaining Terris/keepers.  I am unclear as to if this was the work of the EWSOD or perhaps some final order of the Lord Ruler in the event of his death.  The advantage to the EWSOD would I suppose be to prevent the formation of another immortal Lord Ruler which could keep it captive longer.  Also, the elimination of the Keepers would remove those best able to counter the EWSOD's literature alteration ability as they had the best memories and might recall that Steel cannot be altered.  However, if the EWSOD can mind control, why not do it to those most susseptible: get a Kandra or  Koloss to open the well?  Maybe because it required a powerful allomancer to open the Lord Ruler's secret door?

4)Does the EWSOD control the Killing Mists?   It would seem so, but if that is so, then locking it in a well did not seem to prevent the destruction of most of the world.  And why were the dominances spared until now?  Did the Lord Ruler somehow use Atium to keep the mists at bay?  Is the EWSOD the Deepness?  Or is the Deepness just the Killing Mists?  Neither seemed to be "conquered" as the Lord Ruler claimed, only staved off for a time.   Can Vin draw power fom the mists simply because the EWSOD wished to aid her in the downfall of the Lord Ruler?

5)Did the EWSOD cause Vin's mother to go insane?  Her mother stating that Vin would become a Queen showed some prophetic inkling; perhaps the EWSOD desired an ultra-powerful mistborn to be separated from the Lord Ruler's control in order to increase its liklihood of release.

6)Did the EWSOD cause the voice in Zane's head?  (or was it just heavy metal poisoning from not burning off his metals before sleep...can you say 'Mad as a Hatter!'?)  The voice speaking to him as he died implied that he was not insane,  but what advantage would be gained to the EWSOD or anyone else by keeping Zane mentally unballanced I do not know, except if the EWSOD can see the future, and knew this was necessary to accomplish its release.  This  leads to the next point:

7)Can the EWSOD see into the future?

8)Did the EWSOD's presence in the well cause people to become Allomancers just by osmosis (kind of like the Demon in the Xanth books)?  Or was the Allomancy bloodline strictly a creation of the Lord Ruler when he first used the well?  I am still confused by what happened to Elend at the end: did he just Snap and gain his powers then in the usual way, or was it that pellet Vin gave him, or something else?  Their discussion later indicated that he and Vin understood it, but I didn't.

What do you think?

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: EWSOD the allpowerful? *Mistborn spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 01:57:59 AM »
I can answer a few questions, but I'll avoid outright spoilers.

1) That is a reasonable conclusion.
4) Your "EWSOD" is the Deepness
6) Basically, yes
7) I don't think so, but I don't remember
8) Elend did not Snap in the usual way, and his power is directly related to the pellet.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 01:59:55 AM »
EWSOD's name was revealed in the second book, but it's easy not to notice.

Very good questions, but since I know most of the answers, I can't speculate. :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

urbmd

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 08:03:44 PM »
Hmm.  Mokfather, are you saying the EWSOD's name is other than Deepness?  Deepness certainly seem the most obvious identity, but I am just so used to EUOL playing tricks... And do you "know all the answers" because you have outside info (I understand some people here are friends of the author) or because  the answers are just obvious?

To Tage: I'm not sure how I feel about allomancy pellet pills.  It seems...very...retail.  "Ultimate cosmic power in one bite!"  Well, it looks like Elend got the last one.  And if Zane became became zany because of Mr. Deepness, why was that necessary?  He nearly killed Vin.

Tage

• Level 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 11:04:16 PM »
A few of us on the forums have already read MB3. Mok wasn't saying that the thing's name wasn't the Deepness, only that it is named the Deepness explicity in the second book, though it's easy to miss.

I'm not sure why the Deepness wanted Zane to kill everyone around him, other than the Deepness just having a basic desire for entropy.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 06:30:02 AM »
Actually I wasn't referring to the name "Deepness," but another name mentioned.

I understood the "deepness" to refer to the mist, rather than the entity causing the mist.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 06:31:49 AM by Mokfather »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 04:26:05 PM »
Oh! if it's in the second book just tell us!  ;) What other name? You make me want to go read the book again, and looking over my computer at the pile of unread books staring at me I hardly have time to reread one, no matter how much I like it.

I think I've overdone it on book buying this holiday season, it's starting to feel like a job.

urbmd

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 09:02:43 PM »
Ahh.  I  also had the impression that the Deepness refered to the mists.  I will search for another name...

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 11:38:47 PM »
It's a clue presented out of context, so I would be surprised if you found it. The name is mentioned a lot in book 3 though.

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 04:43:19 AM »
It's a clue presented out of context, so I would be surprised if you found it. The name is mentioned a lot in book 3 though.

Crap.  This means that I'm going to have to go back through and actually pay attention now, doesn't it?  >:(
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Cid

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 04:24:11 PM »
This creature must have some incredible telepathic ability. ..

3)Mind controlled the Inqusitors and Marsh
6)Did the EWSOD cause the voice in Zane's head? 

What do you think?

The engraved text says that metal minds were effected.  Those spikes seem suspicious enough.

The Lord Ruler was keeping the power from the entity as well as for himself.
        It would not make sense for Kadra or Kolosi to be susceptible to it's influence;
        most especially if he'd deliberately created them.

Peace,
D

Tage

• Level 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 06:54:36 PM »
I understood the "deepness" to refer to the mist, rather than the entity causing the mist.

Really? Well shoot, maybe *I* missed something when I was reading through them. I could have sworn the Deepness was the one in the well, because the mists are, uh, you know.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 08:24:20 AM »
Yeah, yeah, I know, but when I asked Brandon about that, he said...

Eh, maybe it will be clarified in the published version.

[EDIT: sent you a private message.]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 08:30:48 AM by Mokfather »