Author Topic: Mistborn 2 geography: spoilers  (Read 1534 times)

urbmd

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Mistborn 2 geography: spoilers
« on: January 08, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
I just finished Well of Ascension, and I loved it, though its bittersweet ending was harder to swallow than the triumph in MB1.   

An interesting observation from Vin's revelations upon stepping into the Well: Vin remarks that all the human habitation was now limited to the planet's poles.   The book map apparently shows  one of the planet's polar regions, rather than than the continents near the equator.  As the map looks similar to Antarctica, I  envisioned it at the south pole, with the Well/Luthadel located pretty close to where the geographic south pole would be on Earth.  On Earth, we also have a separate location hundreds of miles distant for the location of the earth's magnetic south pole, where the magnetic field originates.  I wonder if this might  be Derytatith in the Mistborn world?  Oddly, the Mistborn world does not have a the 6 month day-night cycle that Earth's poles do, so perhaps the orbital tilt of the planet is different ( though it does still get seasonal changes). 

urbmd

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn 2 geography: spoilers
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 04:15:51 AM »
This brings to mind what might be at the opposite pole; whether there is another well there?  In between there is a world covered by mist.  I am unsure as to the climate effects of a world of mists.  Global dust clouds (such as due to volcanic ash, or asteroid impact)  would result result in global cooling and ice age.  Vapor clouds of water or other chemicals which might increase atmospheric density (H2SO4, CO2 on Venus) I suspect would cause massive greenhouse effect and global warming.

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
Re: Mistborn 2 geography: spoilers
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 03:29:26 PM »
Very interesting observations.   I personally hadn't noticed the land mass looking reminiscent of Antarctica until you brought it up.   I wonder if this was an unconscious decision on the part of the artist or if it was unconscious/conscious on the part of the author (who undoubtedly provided map reference for the cartographer to use as a guide).