Author Topic: HP Book 8?  (Read 2445 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
HP Book 8?
« on: December 31, 2007, 10:22:21 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,319051,00.html

Although the seventh Potter novel was published last January amid much fanfare as the final book in the beloved series, author J.K. Rowling has said in recent interviews that an eighth book is not out of the question.

According to a report Sunday in London's Daily Mail, Rowling said she has "moments of weakness" when she feels drawn to revisit the character, and that her biggest fan — her teen daughter Jessica — has been urging her to write another Potter book.

Rowling, 42, said that if she should decide to continue the series, the next book would not focus on Harry Potter as the main character.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: HP Book 8?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 11:07:23 PM »
I would be surprised if there were never another book in the Potterverse.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 04:38:30 AM »
Who would it be focused on? One of Dumbledore's exes... I mean, since she's trying to promote 'tolerance' and all. I hope she doesn't because then I'd be forced to make a choice of conscience and that will kill me.  ;D

BUT, if she were going to, I would like to see something about Harry being an Auror.... if I were to overcome that conscience thing I mean.  ;)

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 12:34:42 AM »
I would love to see something on the Marauders in their Hogwarts days, or maybe something about the Founders.  That would be cool!
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Jhaeli

• Level 3
  • Oh the weather outside is frightful...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 01:17:19 PM »
Honestly, I don't think the revelation of Dumbledore's sexuality has anything to do with a new series. At least, my faith in her as an person who takes pride in her work says so. [EDIT: To clarify, I meant in terms of using it as publicity before a new series. I personally have nothing against homosexuality.] However, I'm not a fan who has followed the series, so I don't know her mindset; I've watched all the movies but the newest one, but I've never read any of the books.

I think it would smart for her to keep the universe, but focus on a new set of main characters while previous characters make cameo appearances. Something to separate it from the previous one. There's nothing wrong with revisiting a universe as long as you do it well. When I was young, I got hooked to the Song of Lioness quartet by Tamora Pierce; Pierce has revisited that particular universe in several series since, but she did it really well by looking at it from a new angle each time. Granted, it was nice when old favourites re-appeared in the series, but they never became a focus, which I think is important if you want some longevity. You also got to see old favourites mature and one of the newer series focuses on the daughter of the first series' protagonist.

Before I go on too much of a tangent, my point is that it's possible to do it; as long as it's done well and you don't let anyone looking to make money off you corrupt your integrity.
"My task which I am trying to achieve is, by the power of the written word to make you hear, to make you feel - it is, before all, to make you see." - Joseph Conrad

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
I am very interested in this. I am attached to this series, and loved reading it, but I agree with those who said that she seemed to wrap Harry's story up fairly well in the seventh book. Perhaps the children of the original cast of characters will be the focus of an eighth novel. It will be fun to see, if she does it but, I won't be devastated if she chooses not to either.

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 06:24:02 AM »
I'm not really sure what I think about this. I like Harry Potter (though I've yet to read the final book), but I really don't like it when things keep getting dragged out. It seems a lot of Authors are falling into this problem nowadays. You end up with 10+ book series, spin-off books, Prequels, second series....third series, and at that point I think you should just let it rest in peace and move on to something new.

Not that I'm saying that that's what would happen if she wrote an eighth book, but I'd rather her not drag it out and start something new.   

skibocastle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 01:25:05 AM »
I'm not sure how I would feel about this either.  I've read all the books, as soon as they came out, and thoroughly enjoyed the story.  But, I think she wrapped it up really well, and it would be a good thing to close off Harry.  But there is no reason she couldn't focus on future generations, with the next evil wizard, or do a prequel.  I would just hate for her to fall prey to the pressure and creating another Harry book just because it's a cash cow.