Author Topic: Ratlord's Pot of Volatile Opinions  (Read 8032 times)

Ratlord12

Ratlord's Pot of Volatile Opinions
« on: December 26, 2007, 07:36:39 PM »
I took Spriggan's advice and started this new thread to post my general opinions.

First, let me say that it's never my intention to offend anyone. My views are a bit extreme, so they might come across as biting to some people. I just post what I truly believe. Besides, why get offended at little-old-inconsequential-me anyway?  ;D

Here are some topics I concocted whilst in a drunken stupor:

Why does Dr. Pepper claim to made from 23 different flavors? That's stupid. Everything is made from a bunch of different flavors. Chickens are made from eyes and beaks and feathers and skin. Of course the different parts taste different.

If you were a D&D character, what would your ability scores be (honesty plz!)? Here's what I think mine are: Str10, Dex12, Con12, Int11, Wis20, Cha15.

In the Sanderson section of the forum, I posted that most science-based professionals are atheists. Spriggan countered to say that survey stats show 60% of scientists said they were religious or believed in a higher power.  But consider the context of the survey. Do you think these scientists were being truthful? I bet many people claim they are religious because of     a)peer pressure, b)reputational obligations, and c)conformity.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Ratlord's Pot of Volatile Opinions
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 08:16:23 PM »
That's some wonderful Bulverism, but really doesn't communicate much.  In China, many people who are not Atheist claim to be Atheist for fear of repercussion.

Also, it could be argued that many scientists who believe in a higher power claim to be Atheist or Agnostic simply because they fear being viewed as "unprofessional" (or what have you) by believing in a higher truth than Science itself.  Really, the sword cuts both ways.

On the topic of food claims, I find IHOP's claims to have "fresh frozen" strawberries on some of their meal items rediculous.  What, exactly, is the difference between "fresh frozen" and "frozen"?

I refuse to give myself D&D stats for a few reasons.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Daarian

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 10:35:32 PM »
Way back in the time of 2nd Edition I had come across a method to determine one's Stats by their ability to perform certain test. Then came 3rd Edition and they had a stat converter, which I used to convert my "character" into 3rd Edition, but alas it has been about 3 years since I have done any D&D and have no idea where that character sheet went so i have no idea what the stats are anymore.
""Don't talk to me about nobleman," Vin said. "And don't say things about people you don't know.  You're no skaa-- you're just nobleman without titles." - Quote from Mistborn

Ratlord12

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 09:07:04 PM »
I've decided my pot of opinions will cook happy stew only, so henceforth I'll be ignoring statements that accuse me of bulverism, idiocy, etc.  ;)

Maybe IHOP wants to distinguish itself from restaurants that use rotten frozen strawberries.
When I worked for Wendy's, that pop stand was ghetto as a mofo. We could've been sued like fifty times. Once, the bun freezer shut off for a week before somebody called a repair guy to fix it, then that took another two days.

I usually skip poetry (except nonsense verse). It's mostly boring. Perhaps someone could point me to some interesting lines and change my mind?

Curses! Coffee doesn't keep me awake anymore  >:( Energy drinks don't work either, plus they taste like poo water. Is 5 hour energy effective? I'll try anything short of crack.

Zonkies ARE real. Look it up.

CUBAREY

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 02:30:37 AM »
Quote:

I usually skip poetry (except nonsense verse). It's mostly boring. Perhaps someone could point me to some interesting lines and change my mind?

Try reading Edgar Allen Poe or Ezra Pound, their poetry (like the individuals themselves) is intense and a bit demented but never boring.

Also don't admit to  the fact that you "usually skip poetry.. It's mostly boring (even if you think its true) it leaves you wide open for a charge of being shallow. :o ;D

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 03:18:09 AM »
I always skip poetry because I'm not an Emo, and yes I'm shallow but at least I'm not some whiny Emo.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 05:12:28 AM »
what's an Emo (or should I ask?)

I agree that poetry can be extremely boring. But if you find the right stuff it's quite fun... Like the Man from Snowy River by Banjo Paterson,

I'll quote (just a little... so don't lose me here)

But the man from Snowy River let the pony have his head,
And he swung his stockwhip round and gave a cheer,
And he raced him down the mountain like a torrent down its bed,
While the others stood and watched in very fear

or Abdullah Bulbul Amir

which goes

"So take your last look at the sunshine and brook
And send your regrets to the Czar.
By this I imply you are going to die,
Mr. Ivan Skavinsky Skivar."

Said Ivan, "My friend, your remarks in the end
Will avail you but little, I fear.
For you ne'er will survive to repeat them alive,
Mr. Abdullah Bulbul Amir."

I'd have to say, though that I do the poetry thing quite well and like it (usually) alot...

I'd put links to those poems, but I have yet to figure out how to link things here, so you'll have to google them if youre really interested.

Incidentally, those are two of my husbands fav's... 'vey tough poems'

I don't understand why people like D&D... my husband and his brothers love it, I don't get the whole thing myself... does that mean I'm going to be banned from TWG?  ??? ;)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 10:23:19 AM »
I had no idea that The Man from Snowy River was based on a poem. o.o

I've never had any good role-playing experiences myself, so you should consider yourself safe.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 07:32:25 PM »
I didn't know it either until we were watching it one day and caught the little "Based on the poem by:" in the title credits. So we looked it up and found that it's a really good poem. Everyone we show it to loves it. In fact my husband memorized it once, of course he was stuck on an airplane for 14 hours and had nothing better to do, but that's irrelevant right?  ;)

Ratlord12

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 06:33:05 PM »
The fun in the D&D game (or role-playing in general) all rests on the shoulders of the DM, game master, whatever.
I DMed my first game while incarcerated, and my players fought each other constantly outside the game table, but when they came together for a few hours of dungeon-trekking it was like they were best friends. Ah, what a glorious testament against those who say role-play establishes negative behaviors and an antisocial attitude...

On the subject of poetry, I say it's boring because most poets seem to be taking their craft too seriously. They write like they are looking through some great scope of emotional wisdom. But maybe I'm just crazy. I don't even read short stories because I like to stick around for the long haul when I meet a character. Well, that's not entirely true, I enjoy some short stories, but forget about it.

I'm shallow? *shrugs*

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 08:54:21 PM »
Ratlord, I know what you mean about poets taking themselves to seriously, or thinking they are somehow above normal folk. For this reason I don't read much contemporary poetry. They seem to think they can pass off prose-with-line-breaks as poetry and don't take responsibility for people being able to understand what they are saying. Indeed, the more cryptic a poem is the more acclaim it seems to get (I feel the same about contemporary literary fiction, blech)

I am a poet though and can tell you there is some stuff out there that is actually worthwhile. I would definitely second the Edgar Allan Poe recommendation.

Not liking poetry does not = shallow. Most shallow people don't like poetry, but that is beside the point :D
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 09:53:09 PM »
blech! the only poe I like is annabel lee. otherwise he's to dark and depressing.

On the other hand I love The Highwayman.  ;)

I completely agree about the making sense thing. We have this thread going in another forum I go to about poetry and this girl posted one of her favorites, I'm still trying to figure out what it said.

I like the poems I read to be written in speakable english.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 10:22:14 PM »
For this reason I don't read much contemporary poetry. They seem to think they can pass off prose-with-line-breaks as poetry
I feel the same way. Whenever I hear a poem on NPR's Writers Almanac by Garrison Keillor, I'm like, "Okay, that was some nice descriptive prose, but..."
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 06:21:25 PM »
Wait, Annabel Lee isn't too depressing and dark?  Good gracious.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 07:12:48 PM »
I like the poems I read to be written in speakable english.

I take it your not much a fan for the Jabberwocky poem from Alice in Wonderland.